Antoine Winfield Jr. named NFC defensive player of the month

BroncoRedux

Reaction score
Buccaneers safety Antoine Winfield Jr. was seen as a Pro Bowl snub, but this week has been more fruitful for him on the award front.

Winfield was named the NFC defensive player of the week for Week 18 on Wednesday and he was named the conference’s top defensive player of the month on Thursday.

Winfield had 41 tackles, four sacks, an interception, four passes defensed, three forced fumbles, and a fumble recovery in five December games and the Bucs’ Week 18 win over the Panthers. The Panthers win secured the Bucs the NFC South title and the team won four of their other five contests.

That Pro Bowl snub might have rankled Winfield and the Bucs, but he stands a good chance at getting All-Pro recognition after a season that further cemented him as one of the league’s top defensive backs.

Go Gophers

He won't get it because it's become an edge rusher's award, but AWJr has a very real case for NFL DPOY. Holy :poop: that he didn't make the Pro Bowl??

#1 rated safety and #1 rated non-EDGE defender in the NFL per PFF, and the impact plays and eye test speak even louder than that. The Bucs season would be over without him.

I get the Bucs every week on TV here and he's the best defender I've seen this year, and it's not close. Even if he went to wisconsin.

He was fantastic. Student of the game as his Tampa coaches noted he's no rookie when he arrived. Pleasure to watch won many games.

Nice! He also seems like a player who will step away while at the top with a plan. Could definitely see him transition into an NFL office position or into team management. Probably would be a great announcer at the national level as well. Enjoy his playing while we all have the opportunity.

I had previously posted this on the OTB:

Budda Baker (ARI)
Games - 11
Tackles - 77
TFL's - 5
Sacks - 0
QB Hits - 0
INT's - 0
Pass Defends - 0
Forced Fumbles - 0
Fumble Recoveries - 0

Antoine Winfield, Jr. (TB)
Games - 16
Tackles - 117
TFL's - 5
Sacks - 5
QB Hits - 7
INT's - 3
Pass Defends - 12
Forced Fumbles - 5
Fumble Recoveries - 4

Budda Baker was named as a Starter in the Pro Bowl for the NFC...Winfield Jr. was not.

Budda Baker (ARI)
Games - 11
Tackles - 77
TFL's - 5
Sacks - 0
QB Hits - 0
INT's - 0
Pass Defends - 0
Forced Fumbles - 0
Fumble Recoveries - 0

Games - 16
Tackles - 117
TFL's - 5
Sacks - 5
QB Hits - 7
INT's - 3
Pass Defends - 12
Forced Fumbles - 5
Fumble Recoveries - 4

Budda Baker was named as a Starter in the Pro Bowl for the NFC...Winfield Jr. was not.
Travesty. One of the worst snubs I can remember. Who votes for Pro-Bowl?

Awesome seeing Winfield continue to dominate at the NFL level. We need as many former Gophers tearing it up in the NFL as possible.
Ko Kief
Awesome seeing Winfield continue to dominate at the NFL level. We need as many former Gophers tearing it up in the NFL as possible.
Ko Kieft is on the field a majority of offensive plays for the Bucs and continues the ferocious mauling we saw in his Gopher career. He is highly regarded in Tampa.

The Vikings outsmarted themselves again on that pick.
They could have had Winfield, and simply taken Kyle Hamilton instead of trading down and ending up with Cine. We would have two of the best safeties (both young) in the league.

They could have had Winfield, and simply taken Kyle Hamilton instead of trading down and ending up with Cine. We would have two of the best safeties (both young) in the league.
Well...shit.

Apparently, a lot of Budda Baker's relatives.

Hey now... go easy on Budda. He's the heart and soul of the Cardinals at this point in time.

I forget if it's mandated by the league (if not, they make EVERY effort), but there's usually one rep from each NFL team in the Pro Bowl is there not? For Arizona, one of the worst teams in the league this year, that call was going to be Budda, like it or not. Right now, he IS the Cardinals franchise.

Budda Baker (ARI)
Games - 11
Tackles - 77
TFL's - 5
Sacks - 0
QB Hits - 0
INT's - 0
Pass Defends - 0
Forced Fumbles - 0
Fumble Recoveries - 0

Games - 16
Tackles - 117
TFL's - 5
Sacks - 5
QB Hits - 7
INT's - 3
Pass Defends - 12
Forced Fumbles - 5
Fumble Recoveries - 4

Wow....those numbers are shocking compared side by side. Winfield was #1 on this guys list of pro bowl snubs. Guessing he ends up on the roster eventually but kind of a joke that he wasn't voted onto the team as a starter.

Hey now... go easy on Budda. He's the heart and soul of the Cardinals at this point in time.

I forget if it's mandated by the league (if not, they make EVERY effort), but there's usually one rep from each NFL team in the Pro Bowl is there not? For Arizona, one of the worst teams in the league this year, that call was going to be Budda, like it or not. Right now, he IS the Cardinals franchise.
That used to be a thing in baseball (not sure if it still is). But guessing they make every effort to have all the teams represented.

Probably the effect of the love affair with Harrison Smith and the feeling they played similar positions/styles.

Is Antoine is the first Gopher to be first team AP All-Pro since Karl Mecklenburg in 1989?

Antoine is named first team all pro. Justice is served.
The Pro Bowl is now a joke event, like the NHL and NBA All-Star games. Even MLB has tried to wreck theirs.

Being All-Pro means 10000 X more.

The thing that I noticed about Winfield from the get-go is he has the stuff that really can't be taught. He just has impeccable football instincts. His recognition skills are off the charts. Add hard work to that and you have yourself a ballplayer.

Kudos on his recognition. Deserves all that he's getting.

Top Bottom