Antoine Winfield Jr. declares for the 2020 NFL Draft

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Minnesota safety Antoine Winfield Jr. has declared for the 2020 NFL Draft, according to a statement on his Instagram account. Winfield will forgo his final two seasons of eligibility and begin preparing for the pre-draft process. He led the Gophers with 88 tackles and seven interceptions in 2019.

His versatility and playmaking ability changed the entire defensive scheme. Winfield could cover the deep half or come into the box and help against the run. There were also many instances where defensive coordinator Joe Rossi used a safety blitz to get pressure on the quarterback. His athleticism, awareness and route recognition skills were on display every time he walked onto the field.

In the NFL, Winfield has the versatility to play multiple positions, including safety and nickel cornerback. A team will be landing a player with above average instincts, coverage skills and film study habits. Right now, he projects as a mid-round pick, but could shoot up boards during the draft process.

In 2019, Winfield became Minnesota's first unanimous All-American since center Greg Eslinger in 2005. Only seven players have earned unanimous All-American honors in Gopher football history. Winfield was the third Minnesota player to achieve this status in the past 57 years (Bobby Bell - 1962 and Eslinger - 2005).

Winfield will follow in the footsteps of his father, Antoine Winfield Sr., who carved out a 14-year NFL career with the Minnesota Vikings and Buffalo Bills. Winfield Sr. became one of the best nickel cornerbacks to ever wear an NFL uniform. When I spoke with the father-son duo in 2018, Winfield Jr. said reaching the NFL was one of his ultimate dreams.

"My goal is to play in the National Football League and my goal there is to win a Super Bowl," Winfield Jr. said in August of 2018.

Now, one of the top defensive backs in program history will have the chance to live his dream.

Here's a feature I wrote with Winfield Jr. and his father prior to the 2018 season: https://bit.ly/38VOdeR

Last edited:

Sorry also to see him go like any good player. Do us proud Winfield!

Completely expected and makes total sense for him to turn pro. Was holding a bit of hope he'd stay for one more season.

Hope he has a long an successful career (preferably with the Vikes.....or at least not any other NFC north team or New England or Seattle or Philadelphia or New Orleans :ROFLMAO:)

Somebody help me out. But how does the NFL draft process work? Can AWJr withdraw his name before the draft, if he hears from teams, agents, etc. that he may not go that high in the draft? Doesn't the NBA have a process like that, where a kid can declare, but then come back to his college team if he feels he won't get drafted that high?

Bummer but expected. Message - come to MN, our players are All Americans and drafted.

Best wishes for an outstanding NFL career, Antoine!! I hope the Vikings draft him so we can keep watching him develop and make big plays!!

Great news! AW played in the bowl game too. I hope he makes a bajillion dollars.

Top Bottom