Anthony Tucker Update

HopkinsGopher13

Reaction score
Confirmed Anthony Tucker will join the Gopher basketball program as a walk-on this fall. Guard play will be nice for a few years.

Does he have to sit out a year or is he eligible right away?

Hopefully he stays out of trouble, will be a nice addition at guard and scholarship free.

If this is true, I kind of like it. He'll be a walk on so he'll have no room for error, either he cleans up his act or he'll be off the team. Our depth in the back court will be pretty damn good if this happens.

PG - Andre Hollins, Julian Welch, Anthony Tucker, Maverick Ahanmisi
SG - Austin Hollins, Joe Coleman, Chip Armelin
SF - Rodney Williams, Oto Osenieks, Chris Halvorsen, Dominique Dawson
PF - Trevor Mbakwe, Andre Ingram
C - Ralph Sampson III, Mo Walker, Eliot Eliason

That is starting to look like an interesting team. Lots of different pieces for Tubby to build a contender. The competition for playing time will be fierce, especially in the back court.

If my understanding of the rule is correct (I looked it up when this was first mentioned), Tucker will have to sit out the 2011-2012 season. I had thought that players transferring "up" did not have to sit out a year, but I don't believe that is the case. I am somewhat excited about getting a walk on of Tucker's caliber. This should allow the Gophers more flexibility in who they recruit for the 2012 class.

Eastview-Hopkins-Iowa-Winona St-Minnesota

MAYBE YOU SHOULD JUST STAY IN ONE PLACE FOR A WHILE, ANTHONY.

Oh, and to the original poster in the thread. We're very happy for you that you're friends with Tucker. That's awesome. Thanks for relaying the information a little bit ahead of when we would have heard it.

Please be fair though, and break the news to us the first time Tucker is blacked out and puking behind The Library.

Seriously though, I'm excited to have a competent outside shooter!!! He'll play a lot.

Oh, and to the original poster in the thread. We're very happy for you that you're friends with Tucker. That's awesome. Thanks for relaying the information a little bit ahead of when we would have heard it.

Please be fair though, and break the news to us the first time Tucker is blacked out and puking behind The Library.

Seriously though, I'm excited to have a competent outside shooter!!! He'll play a lot.

He went to tonka

FWIW, a tweet by @EVoldness:

"@DarrenWolfson Saw and talked to Tucker tonight in Dinkytown. He's going to Hamline. Would've had to sit a year if he went to the U."

Go Gophers!!

One thing about Anthony is that he changes his mind and schools quickly. His stay at MN didn't last very long

Bleed

"@DarrenWolfson Saw and talked to Tucker tonight in Dinkytown. He's going to Hamline. Would've had to sit a year if he went to the U."

Go Gophers!!

Are you suggesting HopkinsGopher13 is not a reliable source?

:rolleyes:

Confirmed Anthony Tucker will join the Gopher basketball program as a walk-on this fall. Guard play will be nice for a few years.

Go Gophers!!

LOL sounds like it wasn't confirmed

Could someone explain to me why he would have to sit out a year if he played at a D-II school last season?

I am glad you don't let facts get in the way for your very insightful post. Tucker went to and graduated from Minnetonka -- not Eastview and Hopkins. I am sure you are very classy all of the time and never have had any alcohol related episodes. I can see how classy you are by your Name on this board.

I actually would have happily welcomed Tucker as a walk on -- perfect situation for someone trying to right the ship and a no risk, potentially high reward move by Tubby. If he causes trouble, cut him lose. If he keeps his stuff together and contributes, offer him a schollie down the line.

BTW - What year of eligiblity would Tucker have if he did come to the U next season?

Why is there so much bashing of Tucker? He is dealing with an illness. It's great that his basketball abilities allow him to get a second/third chance. Many aren't so lucky. There's nobody, including myself who can say that as a 17-22 year old kid they didn't make mistakes. His are just more high-profile. Tucker's problems aren't hurting anyone but himself. It's funny everyone is applauding Mbakwe's return or how the board lit up in favor of Royce's return but then bash Tucker. I hope Tubby let's him walk and gives him another chance to turn his life around. He will also be the best guard on our roster! And shame on you guys who don't believe in second chances. Would you rather try to help the kid make something of his life or break into your home and rob you....

Going for the grand slam

With Iowa (D-I), Winona State (D-II) and reportedly Hamline (D-III), all Tucker would need for the grand slam is to attend a NAIA school in 2012-13. Are there any of those around here?

Why is he leaving Winona State?

Why is there so much bashing of Tucker? He is dealing with an illness. It's great that his basketball abilities allow him to get a second/third chance. Many aren't so lucky. There's nobody, including myself who can say that as a 17-22 year old kid they didn't make mistakes. His are just more high-profile. Tucker's problems aren't hurting anyone but himself. It's funny everyone is applauding Mbakwe's return or how the board lit up in favor of Royce's return but then bash Tucker. I hope Tubby let's him walk and gives him another chance to turn his life around. He will also be the best guard on our roster! And shame on you guys who don't believe in second chances. Would you rather try to help the kid make something of his life or break into your home and rob you....

It's an illness, but it's an illness that has responsibility attached. He's not a victim. However, it's great to give a kid forgiveness and second chances if the kid indeed wants to turn away from his prior actions. Trust is earned though, and part of the baggage he will have to carry is that people will not trust him until he shows that he is behaving responsibly for a long time. I hope he gets his act together and is able to use his considerable God given talents to succeed.

There were a lot of people here that also hit their limit with Mbakwe- to a degree and more so with Royce. So the word "everyone" is certainly not fair. It's one thing to deal with the issues of players already on the team, it's another to ADD a player with problems that are known before he even arrives. It's not that you never do it, but it should be done with caution.

1) I'd find it hard to believe Tubby would bring the kid on board. Nothing personal, just would not seem to be a move he'd make at this time. Granted, Julian Welch arguably has a bit of a 'different' history and that didn't stop Minnesota from offering, but on this one -- can't see it.

2) Not as well versed in this area (i.e., transfer rules) as others, but I believe the issue with coming to Minnesota is that it would be a 4-4 transfer and it's Division 1 basketball.

There are one-time transfer exceptions on 4-4 transfers that give some an opportunity to play immediately when leaving a D1 school for a D2 school (such as Tucker's case when leaving Iowa and heading to Winona State).

I see no available exceptions that would enable Tucker to play immediately if he were to enroll at the U. However, for various reasons that I won't bore you with, it is possible for him to be immediately eligible to play at D3 school this fall.

If he were to wind up at Minnesota, and everything went fine, he could be eligible to compete for the 2012-13 season and then would be done.

GW, any chance we can get you to elaborate on that "different" history. I understand if you can't.

GW, any chance we can get you to elaborate on that "different" history. I understand if you can't.

If he's talking about the way he left UC-Davis, it's a gigantic stretch to call it a potential character issue.

I am glad you don't let facts get in the way for your very insightful post. Tucker went to and graduated from Minnetonka -- not Eastview and Hopkins. I am sure you are very classy all of the time and never have had any alcohol related episodes. I can see how classy you are by your Name on this board.

I'm sorry I confused Hopkins for Tonka. Whatever. He started at Eastview and left after his freshman year.

I get drunk all the time. I pass out and piss myself, but guess what I'M A GROWN ADULT AND I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT. Fair or not, there isn't a spotlight on me and my behavior. Thank goodness!!!

My name makes me less classy? You're so close minded, Uffda.

GOOD LUCK AT HAMLINE ANTHONY. VERY SHORTSIGHTED OF YOU TO MISS OUT ON AN OPPORTUNITY LIKE THE U JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO TAKE ONE YEAR OFF. PLAYING CONCORDIA IN FRONT OF 45 PEOPLE > PLAYING IN FRONT OF TENS OF THOUSANDS IN THE BIG TEN.

GOOD CALL.

It's an illness, but it's an illness that has responsibility attached. He's not a victim. However, it's great to give a kid forgiveness and second chances if the kid indeed wants to turn away from his prior actions. Trust is earned though, and part of the baggage he will have to carry is that people will not trust him until he shows that he is behaving responsibly for a long time. I hope he gets his act together and is able to use his considerable God given talents to succeed.

There were a lot of people here that also hit their limit with Mbakwe- to a degree and more so with Royce. So the word "everyone" is certainly not fair. It's one thing to deal with the issues of players already on the team, it's another to ADD a player with problems that are known before he even arrives. It's not that you never do it, but it should be done with caution.

Tucker is absolutely NOT a victim. I'm more or less commenting on the hyporcacy of "some" of the posters that bash Tucker while ingoring or make excuses for some of our other Gopher players past behavior. I also thougt that to ADD with caution is a reason why he'd be a walk-on. Not even sure if he's eligible for a scholarship. But what would it hurt for a player to come in on his own dime and give it a shot?

Top Bottom