Answer to my man Gopher Gold

Good post. Informative and entertaining.

not very entertaining, not informative. really tired. All the best to the folks mentioned but really....

not very entertaining, not informative. really tired. All the best to the folks mentioned but really....

Writing style = entertaining to me. He gave (finally) a clear viewpoint = informative. The topic keeps on keeping on by other posters = not tired to most.

Boo hoo someone didn't make it to the nfl because they weren't good enough.

There was a twitter exchange between some Gopher players who are no longer with the program. All were injured to some extent during NFL workouts.

One quote thrown out was "Come on, you know who got us hurt"

Personally, as of now outside of this thread SF24 never had a son who played for the gophers. I just want to be a blogger whose opinion is no different than anyone elses (that's why I considered changing my monicker like I did on gopher Ill. last year.)

What did you change your moniker to on GI?

Who is the coach who pretends to be a regular fan on message boards? What moniker does he post under?

I appreciate your post. It was candid and reasonable (and you MOSTLY limited the use of innuendo, which is good)

I didn't realize you still posted over on GI. Hopefully, I'll see ya back over there under your new moniker ____?

1) Don't be a dick.
2) Who cares, who're just nitpicking.
3) Kill stated publicly upon taking the job & again after pretty much every loss how little talent he was left with. We heard it so often that it began to be a frequent topic of discussion here. What SF24 says seems totally inline with Kill's track record of condemning the talent he inherited at Minnesota. That doesn't make Kill a bad guy, just seem to be what he does.

I like Coach Kill & think we'll win with him, but I have no doubt that underneath the "Ah shucks" & "Country Jer" schtick that he's a complete bully & dictator. Just characteristics that seem to go with the job.

yeah...don't care what you think as it wasn't addressed to you, thanks though.

Who is the coach who pretends to be a regular fan on message boards? What moniker does he post under?

I appreciate your post. It was candid and reasonable (and you MOSTLY limited the use of innuendo, which is good)

I didn't realize you still posted over on GI. Hopefully, I'll see ya back over there under your new moniker ____?

Art Vandelay or GopherLady? :confused:

I'm not going to guess what people may have said. I have heard Kill publicly say comments like, "we are/were not a very good team, need more, better, faster players etc." I never heard him say, specifically, "Player A is no good."

I do know that the human condition causes some people to talk out of both sides of their mouths. That could apply to coaches, scouts, anybody.

I appreciate your water under the bridge mentality...but if something caused you so much angst (from some of your comments it appears some of this did) I just question why you did not go straight to the man, Kill in this case. If he said or didn't say enough in a situation where he could have impacted your sons future, why not ask him about it? Maybe an answer from him could have satisfied you long ago.

I said a long time ago that I enjoyed your sons time as a gopher. I also appreciated your knowledge. Lately, however, the (as DP put it) axe grinding was tough to read all the time as a gopher fan. I guess I just didn't understand where it was coming from.

I think one thing that is tough for Gopher fans concerning Coach Kill is that he seems to be the anti-Brewster. Whereas Brewster would blow up a person in a positive sense beyond all recognition, Kill speaks his mind, though occasionally seems to soften or be a little tactful. IF that is what Coach Kill said, not a big surprise.

I think one thing that is tough for Gopher fans concerning Coach Kill is that he seems to be the anti-Brewster. Whereas Brewster would blow up a person in a positive sense beyond all recognition, Kill speaks his mind, though occasionally seems to soften or be a little tactful. IF that is what Coach Kill said, not a big surprise.

Spot on. Brew talked big, got people excited and in fairness to him I think he honestly believed he could live up to those expectations. Misguided or not he dreamed big and went after it.

Kill on the other hand takes the opposite approach. He lowers expectations and plays the card that it is going to take a long time for the team to succeed. That way if it takes a long time he can say he was honest about that from day one and if things happen quicker he comes across looking great. More often than not this is the tact most coaches take because it leads to better job security if you can make everyone believe you need lots of time to be successful.

If they do have a problem here, and I suspect it is more the culture of NCAA football and not just the U, it is something that would do them well to get addressed, especially at a school that has the medical school it has...

Along with that, I remember in HS football as a Sophmore, I pulled a muscle in my leg. Though I was out a couple of days, it was still pretty hard to run when the HC said I needed to toughen up and get into practice. Not in anyway trying to compare injuries at all, just trying to say the general attitude is that unless it is perceived as pretty severe, that is the basic attitude in football and has been toughen up and play through injuries.

the flip side is the game is on now...they cannot reschedule everything to be convenient for everyone nics and bruises. The game is on now...

Feel bad for Gray, since he has not fully recovered from his ankle injury and did not get a fair shot at the pro day.

I want the guy outed so that I can review what he said about me in reply to some of my comments on Coach Kill's early tenure.

I'm Matt Limegrover. I hate you. Snowmobiles suck.

Coach Kill needs to keep his mouth shut even if he is speaking the truth. There is nothing to be gained by telling the local media again, and again, and again that his current players are not capable of competing in the Big 10. It gets him nowhere with his players and makes him look like a complete jerk who will throw his players under the bus to make himself look better.

You cannot have it both ways, SportsFan. Either you want to be like everyone else or you want to put yourself out there as an authority on some Gopher related things. Since you have chosen the latter course you should answer my questions.

If you ignore them it makes you look pretty weak.

And remember, I've never once gone after you for any of your posts. In fact, I defended you more than once across the street.

You cannot have it both ways, SportsFan. Either you want to be like everyone else or you want to put yourself out there as an authority on some Gopher related things. Since you have chosen the latter course you should answer my questions.

If you ignore them it makes you look pretty weak.

And remember, I've never once gone after you for any of your posts. In fact, I defended you more than once across the street.

I have never in no way ever claimed to be the authority on anything. If I said it once I have said it a thousand times…..my opinion is no better than the next guys.”

My moniker on GI? Sorry, I like the anonymity. Why? Because I don’t have to answer questions like this (and I’m seriously leaning going that way here).

Defended me? I appreciate that; I hope it was because you were in agreement with me or thought I was entitled to have an opinion because I certainly don’t need or want to be protected. I love the discourse with people who have an honest opinion….even if they are WRONG and disagree with me (smile).

Ahh the real topic of conversation….the coach. I can’t very well divulge his name if he doesn’t post (which is what I said I would do if he did). If he does you will certainly know who he is because either he will identify himself or I will do it for him.

I purposely haven’t jumped back in on this thread because I have said all that I have to say and I’m moving on.

Never gone after me? Feel free to do so now because I certainly did lapse back into ubiquity on the coach topic, which is the exact opposite of why I started this thread. In my defense however; I had to if my goal was to end the deserved but tiresome negativity on my part.

I have never in no way ever claimed to be the authority on anything. If I said it once I have said it a thousand times…..my opinion is no better than the next guys.”

My moniker on GI? Sorry, I like the anonymity. Why? Because I don’t have to answer questions like this (and I’m seriously leaning going that way here).

Defended me? I appreciate that; I hope it was because you were in agreement with me or thought I was entitled to have an opinion because I certainly don’t need or want to be protected. I love the discourse with people who have an honest opinion….even if they are WRONG and disagree with me (smile).

Ahh the real topic of conversation….the coach. I can’t very well divulge his name if he doesn’t post (which is what I said I would do if he did). If he does you will certainly know who he is because either he will identify himself or I will do it for him.

I purposely haven’t jumped back in on this thread because I have said all that I have to say and I’m moving on.

Never gone after me? Feel free to do so now because I certainly did lapse back into ubiquity on the coach topic, which is the exact opposite of why I started this thread. In my defense however; I had to if my goal was to end the deserved but tiresome negativity on my part.

I did think you had the right to your opinion, whether or not I agreed with you. Some people engaged you on the issues, but there were several others who went after you primarily because they knew who you were and didn't want to hear anyone disagree with them. I thought that was unfair and didn't do anything to promote the discussion.

Sportsfan, I appreciate your forthright responses on this thread. How did Pro-Day go for Kim this year? I had a hard time finding his numbers as they seemed to only report results for current Gopher players. I know all die hard Gopher fans are really pulling for Kim. Hope to see him on an NFL roster next year.

Coach Kill needs to keep his mouth shut even if he is speaking the truth. There is nothing to be gained by telling the local media again, and again, and again that his current players are not capable of competing in the Big 10. It gets him nowhere with his players and makes him look like a complete jerk who will throw his players under the bus to make himself look better.

I agree. You have pointed out the only problem I have with Kill's approach. Brewster was a terrible coach, but he never dodged the bullet after a loss and took his share of the blame for not having the team better prepared. Kill is the anti-Brewster in a number of ways, most of them good, but in this case, bad. He makes a bonehead decision and then says it worked at Southern Illinois or Emporia State. I think Kill can be successful here, but there are days I think he needs to grow some skin.

As for the original point of the thread, nothing surprises me when it comes to big-time athletics, either professional or collegiate. And it doesn't surprise me that team doctors don't rank with the cream of the medical profession.

I did think you had the right to your opinion, whether or not I agreed with you. Some people engaged you on the issues, but there were several others who went after you primarily because they knew who you were and didn't want to hear anyone disagree with them. I thought that was unfair and didn't do anything to promote the discussion.

Sportsfan, I appreciate your forthright responses on this thread. How did Pro-Day go for Kim this year? I had a hard time finding his numbers as they seemed to only report results for current Gopher players. I know all die hard Gopher fans are really pulling for Kim. Hope to see him on an NFL roster next year.

How did Kim do? Who knows? I guess we will find out if and when he's invited to someone's camp. The most important thing for him after leg injuries was his 40 (his best time was 4'58).

SF24 - or Chris if you prefer -

Did you ever speak directly to Kill about the problems Kim had with the doctor and training staff?

That's the thing that puzzles me about this situation. If players aren't being diagnosed or treated properly, it hurts the team - and knowing that coaches can be control freaks, I would think they would want to address the issue. I have a hard time believing that a coach would knowingly allow a situation to continue if players were not available due to mistakes by the medical or training staff.

I have a hard time believing that a coach would knowingly allow a situation to continue if players were not available due to mistakes by the medical or training staff.

Apparently, many of the mistakes that are being made is that they make players play through injuries. The buck stops with Coach Kill for those decisions. Training Staff and Doctors do what the Head Coach wants or they aren't around very long. It has always been that way.

I believe this is only a part-time side job for the Dr.'s though. Ethically it shouldn't matter to them what the coaches think if a player truly isn't ready. But who knows.

I tend to believe SPF24 on most of this. It is not uncommon. Two years ago Oregon State fired the head trainer that had been at the school since '97 for what amounted to incompetence. Players had so little confidence in the guy the were not reporting injuries and seeking treatment outside of the athletic dept. They ended up hiring a former grad who was the asst. trainer for the Steelers. She, yes a woman, has made a huge impact in positive sense. Her two super bowl rings gave her instant cred with the players and the players parents love have a woman taking care of their "little" boys. The lack of tons of nagging injuries the last year was huge in having the great turn around season.

www.oregonlive.com/.../oregon_state_football_coach_mi.html - Cached

Did you ever speak directly to Kill about the problems Kim had with the doctor and training staff?

That's the thing that puzzles me about this situation. If players aren't being diagnosed or treated properly, it hurts the team - and knowing that coaches can be control freaks, I would think they would want to address the issue. I have a hard time believing that a coach would knowingly allow a situation to continue if players were not available due to mistakes by the medical or training staff.

Yes he knew.

reading all of this, I have one very basic question:

Did Kill inherit the team Doctor and Training staff, or are they people he chose/brought with him?

My gut tells me that if I was a coach, with my job largely dependent on the health of my players, I would want the very best medical and training staff possible to take care of the players and ensure their continued health and availability.

If a coach knew, or was told that his team Dr. and training staff had misdiagnosed injuries, or botched a surgery to the point where a 2nd surgery was needed, I would think the coach would want those people gone in a heartbeat.

So my question(s): 1. did Kill have a hand in choosing the medical staff and trainers, or did he inherit them? 2. Was Kill told about the problems with Kim's situation, and what was his response?

Does anybody know the answer to this? I hope these are not Kill's chosen group. I also think the medical staff needs to be addressed.

Does anybody know the answer to this? I hope these are not Kill's chosen group. I also think the medical staff needs to be addressed.

Kill kept the Mase/Brew training staff. Not sure about the docs. Isn't Dr. Pat Smith still around?

Top Bottom