#17 Pitt LOST

#19 SMU LOST

#20 Penn State LOST

#21 San Diego State LOST

#22 Iowa State LOST

----------

That's 9 out of Top 25 who lost — 36%.

open-the-door-la-gladiators.gif

Rankings are so often dumb. Especially rankings earlier in the season. But, I am as guilty as anyone for paying attention to them.

they are dumb for so many reasons. Some teams start the year out ranked simply on reputation or previous year’s success. Then other schools get unwarranted boosts early by beating undeserving ranked teams and the ripple effect of unfairness continues throughout the season.

So much unfairness but the rankings matter because the ranked teams get more coverage, their games get highlights shown on ESPN and FS1, and all the resulting references are reported (“first win over a top 10 team in X years”).

I wonder how unranked Minnesota would match up against #25 Coastal Carolina right now?

Some programs will always be ranked. Psi for one, they need to be 500 before dropping out.

I have the feeling that most of the people participating in the rankings never or rarely see the majority of the teams they rank actually play.
On Tuesday the only ranking that counts will come out.
Until then Sagarin is the place to look.

Rankings are so often dumb. Especially rankings earlier in the season. But, I am as guilty as anyone for paying attention to them.

they are dumb for so many reasons. Some teams start the year out ranked simply on reputation or previous year’s success. Then other schools get unwarranted boosts early by beating undeserving ranked teams and the ripple effect of unfairness continues throughout the season.

So much unfairness but the rankings matter because the ranked teams get more coverage, their games get highlights shown on ESPN and FS1, and all the resulting references are reported (“first win over a top 10 team in X years”).

I wonder how unranked Minnesota would match up against #25 Coastal Carolina right now?
I think coastal could move the ball on the gophers. I think the gophers could run for 400 yards on coastal though. It would be a bloodbath in our favor

I have the feeling that most of the people participating in the rankings never or rarely see the majority of the teams they rank actually play.
On Tuesday the only ranking that counts will come out.
Until then Sagarin is the place to look.
Yes, Gophers 26th in Sagarin - his top ten makes more sense, too.

Yes, Gophers 26th in Sagarin - his top ten makes more sense, too.

I thought so too, at first glance anyway. But I have to say Sagarin's ratings, due to the way they are compiled, become so disconnected from actual wins and losses that I find it disconcerting.

Example (current Sagarin ratings, 21 through 27):

21) Florida 81.41 (4-4)

22) Utah 81.12 (5-3)

23) Texas 80.89 (4-4)

24) Michigan State 80.72 (8-0)

25) NC State 80.50 (6-2)

26) Minnesota 79.82 (6-2)

27) Kentucky 78.90 (6-2)

It is disconcerting but subject to change.
MIST is lower than MI and WI is lower than IA but the numerical differences are really not that large.
The betting sites use his numbers to set the spread.

It is disconcerting but subject to change.
MIST is lower than MI and WI is lower than IA but the numerical differences are really not that large.
The betting sites use his numbers to set the spread.

Thanks for that info, I wasn't aware of that.

So, does Sagarin get paid by the betting sites?

Thanks for that info, I wasn't aware of that.

So, does Sagarin get paid by the betting sites?
I do not know.
His data are published in USA Today and used by the play off committee but I do not know from whom he gets the $ to continue his work.
He ranks multiple college and professional sports.

#6 Michigan LOST

#9 Iowa LOST

#10 Ole Miss LOST

#12 Kentucky LOST

#17 Pitt LOST

#19 SMU LOST

#20 Penn State LOST

#21 San Diego State LOST

#22 Iowa State LOST

----------

That's 9 out of Top 25 who lost — 36%.
and 6 teams did not play and 7 teams lost to unranked teams

Rankings are so often dumb. Especially rankings earlier in the season. But, I am as guilty as anyone for paying attention to them.A

Also, does anyone know if rankings determine who goes to the Rose Bowl if the BTC goes to the playoff? If so, which rankings?

Also, does anyone know if rankings determine who goes to the Rose Bowl if the BTC goes to the playoff? If so, which rankings?
I found the answer. It's only the College Football Playoff poll that can factor in.

Top Bottom