Anonymous $2000 Oar Donor

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
If this has been discussed I’m sorry. It was a hot 11am game and I think the heat or many drinks after getting home is getting to my noggin.

So for those of you who do not attend games or choose to watch other games in your suite surrounded by celebs…

Students are given paper oars when they arrive. Sometime in the 4th quarter the camera will pan around and pick two of them holding up their oars to win $2000 scholarships. A good way to get more students to hang out longer I guess. It’s always from an “anonymous donor”

I’ve always said the donor is Fleck. Makes sense—right? Not much money to him, better attendance helps PJ, can cite student attendance in contract negotiations, etc.

Anyone have thoughts?

No. The idea was conceived here on Gopherhole many years before Fleck was affiliated with the program.

They hand out scholarships on the big board camera at women's basketball games too, at least, maybe others. Wild guess: they add a deduction line to the student tuition bill.

It certainly isn’t me funding $2000 in scholarships every home game. So yeah, you’re most likely right, it is PJ Fleck! 💁‍♂️

Data today suggests the oar schollie was not what brought in the kids. Showed up great again...filled to the top by 5 minutes into the game. Fantastic.

With us down at the half a big chunk headed out. With the night games for the first 2 home contests today was a warm one in the sunshine. Easy to understand calling it and back to the big screen if they cared.

By the 4th when the schollies were given really down to a shell of the early attendance today. I do believe it's a draw for some but being competitive and dominating seems to hold'em in the seats better.

It is however a great gimmick no matter who funds it. If Coach is doing it, good for him and Heather. Have no idea.

Top Bottom