Anoka HS Student Collapses on Basketball Court, Dies

Reserve

Reaction score
I understand this was devastating news for our Gopher team. Let's remember to keep things in perspective though.

--------------------

ANOKA, Minn. - A 16-year-old Anoka High School student died over the weekend after collapsing on the basketball court.

An Anoka-Hennepin School District spokesman confirmed the death of Anoka junior Kareen Hopkins. The teen was playing basketball at the YMCA in Andover early Saturday evening when he collapsed. Hopkins was taken to Mercy Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

In a message sent to Anoka High School students and parents Monday, Principal Mike Farley said Hopkins had a pre-existing heart condition and died suddenly.

According to the district, Kareen Hopkins was not playing basketball in any school-related capacity at the time of the incident.

Message to Anoka High School Students and Parents
from Principal Mike Farley

Parents and students this is Mr. Farley, Principal at Anoka High School with some sad news to share with you today.

One of our 11th grade students, Kareen Hopkins, passed away on Saturday evening. Kareen had a pre-existing heart condition and he died suddenly after playing basketball at the YMCA. At this time, I do not have any information regarding the funeral arrangements, but when I receive it I will get this to our teachers and have it available in the main office for anyone who asks for it.

Dealing with the loss of a loved one is very difficult. I am asking parents and guardians to pay a little closer attention to your son or daughter during this sad time because difficult news like this can affect young people in different ways, even if they did not know Kareen. If you see things like abrupt changes in behavior such as wanting to be alone more than usual or loss of interest in things they like, please let us know about it. I talked with our students all the time about our Anoka Family and that means pulling together to get through difficult times. We care about the success and well-being of every one of our students in the Anoka Family. We must find strength in each other at this time.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/kareen-hopkins-basketball-death-nov-28-2011

Top Bottom