Annoyed.

I disagree. I think i remember people looking at Triplett as a liability and alot of people thought Cooper would take his spot mid season. Anyways.... Replacing our LBs won't be impossible but more like improbable. 2 captains and 3 leaders of not only the defense but the team. Lee Campbell is the best run stopping LB out of these 6 (including Cooper) and the most fearless. He had a look in his eye like he literally wanted to kill someone. Triplett had a knack for the ball. It seemed like he was always in the right place at the right time (except when Pryor would run around him). He became our best LB by the end of the season even though he was hurt.Triplett got snubbed not getting all conference 1st, 2nd or even honorable mention. I wasn't a huge fan of Simoni and IMO he was overrated. I felt like he never gave 100%. He looked different in his allstar game. He had way more spunk then any gopher game i watched. (yes i actually watched that game) I think Cooper is already better then Simoni. Overall though that LB corp was the best one in over 10 years. Tinsley has a ton of potential as do Cooper and Reeves. All three of those guys will have a chance to be drafted IMO. I dont see alot of potential in Rallis. I hope these guys can put it all together. Im thinkin after this coming year they can. O yeah and Tinsley needs to stay out of trouble.

PS someone said this receiving corps is better. Thats dumb. Eric freakin Decker is gone. Even though all the receivers are progressing you still can't replace him. Even if it wasn't a full season
I think you're way, way off on Rallis. John Butler said Rallis would have started on last year's team. Not sure how much of that is meant to inflate the young man's ego, but still. Everyone, and I mean everyone that I've talked to that's seen Rallis can't say enough good things about him.

Our defense will be better than last year. The whole "they lost X amount of starters" is college football arithmetic, it has nothing to do with actually vetting the team.

I think you're way, way off on Rallis. John Butler said Rallis would have started on last year's team. Not sure how much of that is meant to inflate the young man's ego, but still. Everyone, and I mean everyone that I've talked to that's seen Rallis can't say enough good things about him.

You think he actually means that or just a confidence boost? Why didn't he start then when Triplett got hurt? I shouldve kept that part about Rallis off my post because I don't know much about him. Reeves/Tinsley/Cooper have always had bigger names then Rallis.

You think he actually means that or just a confidence boost? Why didn't he start then when Triplett got hurt? I shouldve kept that part about Rallis off my post because I don't know much about him. Reeves/Tinsley/Cooper have always had bigger names then Rallis.

ummm, perhaps because Rallis was injured in the third game against Cal with a broken leg and got a medical redshirt. I'm guessing he wouldn't have looked too good hobbling around the field as Tripplet's replacement. Its pretty clear you don't know anything about Rallis. "Names" mean nothing and performance means everything. Its been said over and over again by every Gopher coach this spring and summer that Rallis has been the best LB and is really the only lock starter in that unit.

By the way, I'm linking Rallis' roster profile for you for future reference.

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=38606&SPID=3280&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=3730521&Q_SEASON=2010

Ok. I didn't know he got injured last year. So you are 100% right i don't know alot about Rallis. I did know he was a walk-on out of HS and probably one of the better walk-ons in the nation. But after that not much. Since he was a walk on i assumed he wouldnt be anything special. I guess I should of done alittle research. So my apologies. Reeves/Cooper/Tinsley have had way more hype since they stepped on campus until this spring. no denying it. I still have a hard time believing Bulter when he said he would start over Campbell/Triplett/Lawrence. He's never played a game as a LB outside of scrimmages. Who would he start over? The two captains. No, probably not. Triplett who argueably had the best season and most potential. no probably not. Again i shouldve look his stuff up before i added those comments about him. My other stuff I posted though is pretty spot on i think.

Butlers putting alot of pressure on him btw. Making those comments stating he is at the same or at a higher level then last years LB. And comparing him to Eric Decker except on defense. And now hes coming off a broken leg. Its gonna be tough. Ill be watching him and cheering for him. Just wondering who else expects him to be better then last years LBs besides Bulter? Or is he an under the radar that no one knows about? That is alot of hype for someone whos never played a game as a LB and player 25 pounds over hes ever played.

Butlers putting alot of pressure on him btw. Making those comments stating he is at the same or at a higher level then last years LB. And comparing him to Eric Decker except on defense. And now hes coming off a broken leg. Its gonna be tough. Ill be watching him and cheering for him. Just wondering who else expects him to be better then last years LBs besides Bulter? Or is he an under the radar that no one knows about? That is alot of hype for someone whos never played a game as a LB and player 25 pounds over hes ever played.

Keep in mind that Triplett started a grand total of 0 games until last year and was mostly a special teams guy his first 3 years. Rallis probably has more game experience on defense than Triplett did going into last year and, when healthy, one could argue Nate was our best LB last season.

True, we return both safeties. But our safety play was abysmal.

We had linebackers playing from sideline to sideline last year. A first!

Ok. I didn't know he got injured last year. So you are 100% right i don't know alot about Rallis. I did know he was a walk-on out of HS and probably one of the better walk-ons in the nation. But after that not much. Since he was a walk on i assumed he wouldnt be anything special. I guess I should of done alittle research. So my apologies. Reeves/Cooper/Tinsley have had way more hype since they stepped on campus until this spring. no denying it. I still have a hard time believing Bulter when he said he would start over Campbell/Triplett/Lawrence. He's never played a game as a LB outside of scrimmages. Who would he start over? The two captains. No, probably not. Triplett who argueably had the best season and most potential. no probably not. Again i shouldve look his stuff up before i added those comments about him. My other stuff I posted though is pretty spot on i think.

Walk-ons,....Just discount these guys because they can't possibly be better than a scholarship player.......Ummm no, Once you are in the program, names, stars,etc. doesn't mean that much. I was looking at MV's unofficial depth chart and currently there are 5 walk-ons in the 2-deep chart. Not saying that any of them will turn out to be Marcus Sherrels, but if given the opportunity they could be productive. Arron Hill, AJ Barker, Kyle Henderson, Ed Cotton, and the back-up kicker. I won't bother to list all the former walk-ons that have contributed greatly to this program. That's been done dozens of times.

True, we return both safeties. But our safety play was abysmal.

We had linebackers playing from sideline to sideline last year. A first!

ESPN said:
5. Minnesota: I'm taking a little leap of faith here again, but if safeties Kim Royston and Kyle Theret are on the field together, good things will happen. The two combined for 159 tackles, four interceptions and 14 pass breakups in 2009, and finished with an outstanding performance in the Insight Bowl. I also like talented young cornerback Michael Carter, while Ryan Collado brings experience to the other corner spot. Minnesota expects juco transfer Christyn Lewis and redshirt freshman Kenny Watkins to add depth at safety.

The bolded has been pretty much my opinion through the off season.

Walk-ons,....Just discount these guys because they can't possibly be better than a scholarship player.......Ummm no, Once you are in the program, names, stars,etc. doesn't mean that much. I was looking at MV's unofficial depth chart and currently there are 5 walk-ons in the 2-deep chart. Not saying that any of them will turn out to be Marcus Sherrels, but if given the opportunity they could be productive. Arron Hill, AJ Barker, Kyle Henderson, Ed Cotton, and the back-up kicker. I won't bother to list all the former walk-ons that have contributed greatly to this program. That's been done dozens of times.

I knew I was gonna be bashed for that comment. I know walk-ons can help a team. They can be good. Heck look at Jon Hoese. I believe he was a walk on from Glencoe. It seems to me that the odds aren't great for any program. BTW the star system does mean something. Sure a 2 star or 1 star can produce on the field and im sure its really common. They're just late bloomers to the game or they just didnt get huge coverage. Sure theyre are 4 and 5 stars the have been busts on the field. But it is way more likely that a 4 or 5 star is gonna produce more than a 1 or 2 star. If im wrong please correct me.

If we recruit 4 and 5 star talent (whatever that is) and they do not play we will be worse off. We are not an NFL team that can play anyone who is not dead or in prison.

If we recruit 4 and 5 star talent (whatever that is) and they do not play we will be worse off. We are not an NFL team that can play anyone who is not dead or in prison.

Worse off than what? If the top rated recruits turn out to be busts we are not worse off than we are if we recruit 1 and 2 star athletes who turn out to be busts. A bust is a bust. Some players are better than other players. It is possible with some degree of accuracy to tell who is likely to be a good player and who is not. It's not perfect, of course, nothing is, there isn't much certainty in life. If there was no way to tell who was better, then recruiting would be nonsense, Hamline would be as likely to have top athletes as Ohio State would.

Thank you. Lets find a team who consistently gets 4 and 5 stars and lets find a team who consistently gets 1 and 2 stars, hell lets thow a few walk ons in there and see whos better. If the Star system doesnt mean much then they will likely be equally talented teams. Very rarely i mean once in a life time will the 1/2 star team win. Ex Appalachian state beating Michigan.

The best teams recruit the best players who are likely to play. That is why they are the best teams. Those players are given lots of "stars". Did the stars cause the wins? My point is that it is not the "stars" that cause the wins. Ohio State does not need to scrape the bottom of any barrel in order to find any "star" players who will never actually play.

The best teams recruit the best players who are likely to play. That is why they are the best teams. Those players are given lots of "stars". Did the stars cause the wins? My point is that it is not the "stars" that cause the wins. Ohio State does not need to scrape the bottom of any barrel in order to find any "star" players who will never actually play.

Im not trackin...

Im not trackin...

Player rankings or the number of stars they get can be directly linked to strength of offer (how good the college is in football). A 3 star player will get a 4th star if he picks up a offer from top ranked school.

Scraping the botton of the barrel to find star players? That doesn't make any sense at all.

The best teams get the best players. But how do they KNOW who are the best players? They evaluate players. That is what the stars represent: evaluating who are the better players.

Your point, that the stars mean nothing depends on it being impossible to evaluate talent. If it is impossible, then the best teams cannot find the best talent, because they would not be able to evaluate talent.

Sorry, but it is not the Ohio State recruiters that are handing out the "stars". Additionally, those who do these "star" functions are looking at the athletic talent of the recruits, not the ability of the "talent" to get into school or stay in school. To be blunt, we have recruited more "stars" than players who can get out unto the field and actually play.

Sorry, but it is not the Ohio State recruiters that are handing out the "stars". Additionally, those who do these "star" functions are looking at the athletic talent of the recruits, not the ability of the "talent" to get into school or stay in school. To be blunt, we have recruited more "stars" than players who can get out unto the field and actually play.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Yes, the recruiters and those who independently evaluate recruits are not the same people. He's a fact for you. The recruiters and the independent evaluators generally agree. If your view was correct, they would not agree. If you agree that it is possible for Ohio State's recuiters to evaluate talent, then why would you think it is impossible for anyone else to evaluate talent? And Ohio State does have recruits who have trouble with the law or have trouble in school.

As you know very well, if a recruited committed to Winona State he would be "evaluated" by Rivals, et al as being a "one star" recruit. If he decommitted and was offered and accepted by Ohio State, "the experts" would decide he is a "three star" recruit. Because most heart attacks occur in the early morning does not mean they are caused by the sun. Iowa and Northwestern do much better and better than we do without any concern about the "star" systems.

Top Bottom