annoyed that the call for the timeout did not come a bit quicker

Reaction score
this is assuming tubby planned the whole time to call a TO.....knowing tubby and late game, last shots he probably did plan on it.

what bugs me is that instead of calling it right away when devoe crossed the half-court line it looked like he allowed devoe to dribble a bit deeper into the end (around the three point line) and then finally called it. they call the TO right after he crosses the half-court line and there is probably more like 6.0 seconds (or possible more) on the clock coming out of the timeout. we don't know if the play would have developed exactly as it did, but that extra 1.5 to 2.0 seconds or so that came off the clock before finally calling the TO would have been more than enough for the tip-in to count.....and gophers win.

i was annoyed and thinking about this before the gophers even came out of the timeout for the last play.

thoughts?

2nd row, 2nd deck, behind the Gopher bench. Tubby was calling for the timeout, it was so loud in there the ref couldn't hear him and didn't notice him. Would have had a few more seconds.

I agree, timeout has to come sooner. Another second on the clock and this board might look a lot different tonight, along with the Gophs NCAA hopes

2nd row, 2nd deck, behind the Gopher bench. Tubby was calling for the timeout, it was so loud in there the ref couldn't hear him and didn't notice him. Would have had a few more seconds.

i know they are supposed to be watching the play, but how does an official (knowing that a team is probably going to call a timeout in such a situation) not at least keep one eye on a coach to see if he is trying to call it. if an official is only going to call it if he verbally hears it (and will not at least glance at the coach while the play is coming up the court) seems like a stupid way to approach officiating, if you ask me. considering most arenas are pretty loud only calling it if you hear the verbal queue doesn't seem like a good idea.

Inexcusable. The ref knows the coach is probably going to call a timeout, you have to have your eyes on tubby and anticipate the timeout coming

Yea Tubby started calling it immediately after Devoe crossed half court, refs just didn't catch it for a second. That time could have been huge, but I imagine we would have run the same play (or non-play), so it probably wouldn't have been much of a factor.

Yea Tubby started calling it immediately after Devoe crossed half court, refs just didn't catch it for a second. That time could have been huge, but I imagine we would have run the same play (or non-play), so it probably wouldn't have been much of a factor.

wouldn't have been much of a factor?! the second or so that ran off was the difference between the tip-in rebound off of devoe's shot counting and not counting. not sure what you are talking about.

Top Bottom