Announcers last night

freshtrout

Reaction score
All things considered the production last night was fine - much better than the BTN or the awful BTN2GO. However, why was it so hard for either Rich Hollenberg or Fran Fraschilla to tell the viewer who the fouls were called on? Knowing that Lynch already had two fouls there was a called foul on the Gophers and both Lynch and Murphy could have been called. No mention by either announcer as to which player picked up the foul. When Lynch fouled out I thought it was his 4th. Also, when Hollenberg said that Michael Hurt played high school ball with Amir at Hopkins, that was an example of not being prepared but thinking that you are.

Hollenberg and Fraschilla were horrible! They spent five minutes during the game - a very good game - talking about Crean's wedding. Including showing the photo way too many times! Maybe that is the director's or producer's fault? I do not think they knew Lynch fouled out (maybe I missed their comment, but I do not think there was one). Technically, they obviously know the game; but they need to stay focused on why they are there.

They never did say that Lynch fouled out ... that's why I thought he only had 4 fouls. You're right they didn't even know. But it was more important to chat about the great Tom Crean and his brother in laws.

When i watch a Gopher game on TV i have my lap top on to gametracker so I can follow the stats, because most announcers are too busy telling everybody hor brilliant they are

Tried Gophersports.com on the phone for stats but the stats wouldn't come up... should have tried espn.

I also didn't realize Lynch had fouled out right away. Kept waiting for him to come back in.

Also they introduced Hurt and Curry "Hurt/Curry now checking in" well after they entered the game.

Only caught the games last 7 minutes and over time because I was watching the football game...but they could not have been cheering harder for Michigan State if they tried

I liked how Ellis transferred to MSU after Tubby left Minnesota for Memphis.

All things considered the production last night was fine - much better than the BTN or the awful BTN2GO. However, why was it so hard for either Rich Hollenberg or Fran Fraschilla to tell the viewer who the fouls were called on? Knowing that Lynch already had two fouls there was a called foul on the Gophers and both Lynch and Murphy could have been called. No mention by either announcer as to which player picked up the foul. When Lynch fouled out I thought it was his 4th. Also, when Hollenberg said that Michael Hurt played high school ball with Amir at Hopkins, that was an example of not being prepared but thinking that you are.

Terrible announcers,agree 100%.Plus no mention of Murphys great rebounding game until he had twenty.

Only caught the games last 7 minutes and over time because I was watching the football game...but they could not have been cheering harder for Michigan State if they tried

this. It was disconcerting. When Mason put in 2 FTs to retake the lead, you'd have thought depression had set in for them both.

I liked how Ellis transferred to MSU after Tubby left Minnesota for Memphis.

1) Tubby went to TTU after the U let him go and 2) I'm not expecting Ellis to start being an All-Big Ten player from this one game. He'll likely be the 2nd or 3rd player off the bench going forward.

I was trying to watch two games at once with the bowl game and they wouldnt even say who scored the basket. grrrrr. Terrible.

1) Tubby went to TTU after the U let him go and 2) I'm not expecting Ellis to start being an All-Big Ten player from this one game. He'll likely be the 2nd or 3rd player off the bench going forward.

I believe Bad was pointing out that the announcers erroneously claimed Tubby left Minnesota for Memphis and that Ellis transferred.

When i watch a Gopher game on TV i have my lap top on to gametracker so I can follow the stats, because most announcers are too busy telling everybody hor brilliant they are
Always, always. It shouldn't be so hard but game calling for every sport is a lost art. How many personal fouls, team fouls, who is in the bonus - it's so critical to the strategy of the game. And much of the time their commentary reveals they don't know these details. Isn't a glance at the scoreboard automatic when a foul is called on any player? It is for me when I'm at the game.

So true. That's my whole point about this game on ESPN. The announcers acted like they were prepared, the audio and video was excellent, good to see The Barn almost full etc., but both of them didn't do their job. Fran F needs a few emails and tweets to hopefully get him back to the level he needs to be.

Top Bottom