Announcers diss our win over Ohio St.

GopherFish

Reaction score
Cant believe both CBS announcers including OSU Alum Clark Kellogg said that Minnesota beat Ohio St. without Evan Turner playing. How can they just plain get this fact wrong. CBS has no fact checkers??

I heard that. Pisses me off. It's one thing to disrespect us, but it's another when you don't even know the FACTS!

I hope they keep it up...our guys really are feeding off this lack of "respect" for our team...

All the talking heads at CBS seem to think that. I seem to recall that Seth Davis said the same thing in one of his mal-informed columns recently. Jeebus. Even after getting it wrong a whole bunch of times now, CBS still apparently doesn't know that Turner did play that day (started and played the vast majority of the game actually).

Agreed......IF they watch previous game footage they will see Evan Turner did play in the game. Minnesota again getting NO respect. Let's put it on OSU tomorrow like we are putting it on Purdue today.

Andy Katz said the same thing in column awhile back. Could they do any more to dismiss their success?

Anyone else notice that, in what many people consider a win-and-in game for Minnesota, these announcers are spending more time talking about Illinois' tourney chances than the Gophers'?

I heard this too. Just a little more fuel to throw on our fire. Its worked great so far!

I've heard that a lot this year. If i'm not mistaken, Turner had 19 points and nearly a triple-double. I'd say we was more than a factor in that game.

Clark Kellogg is just an idiot. He thinks coaches should be able to mutually agree on calling the game when the lead gets too big. RIDICULOUS! If you're worried about your stars getting hurt, put Johnny walk-on in the game. This is the exact time when the scrubs can get valuable experience.

Liars. Again..another mention of the win without Evan Turner. Someone at CBS better correct these fools.

Clark Kellogg is just an idiot. He thinks coaches should be able to mutually agree on calling the game when the lead gets too big. RIDICULOUS! If you're worried about your stars getting hurt, put Johnny walk-on in the game. This is the exact time when the scrubs can get valuable experience.

i needed to register, in order to say, kellog suggesting a game should be called early was one of the most absolutely dumbest things ive ever heard. i hope he gets called out on a national level. he is officially an idiot in my book. any opinion he ever gives from now on, i will question without hesitation.

and...westbrook is a huge doosh. whining on the court multiple times a game...seriously?

Clark just wanted to make OSU sound that much better for the national audience. The vast majority of fans will take what he said for face value. OSU and Minn fans all know that Turner played. I am expecting no correction by him tomorrow during the game about Turner's apparent 'no show' in Minneapolis. I am pretty sure on the thread about who is the best announcers are, his name was not mentioned in a positive light.

Yeah well, the Butler win too...

Cant believe both CBS announcers including OSU Alum Clark Kellogg said that Minnesota beat Ohio St. without Evan Turner playing. How can they just plain get this fact wrong. CBS has no fact checkers??

CBS even had the list of longest current win streaks on the screen - Butler was on top with 20 - and the announcers were talking about how great Butler is....you'd think, then, that they'd mention that the team scorching the favored team today would get mentioned for that win, at least. Nope.

But at least Illinois, with arguably a similar or worse resume than the Gophers, is a shoe-in!

Kellogg is a total tool.

Luckily Kellogg isn't on the selection committee, and I presume those that are will be a bit more astute when it comes to evaluating tournament teams.

I just sent a message to Mr. Kellogg on the CBS Sports web site to inform him of the facts. I would suggest you do the same and see if he mentions it during tomorrow's game (assuming he will be calling the championship).

I just sent a message to Mr. Kellogg on the CBS Sports web site to inform him of the facts. I would suggest you do the same and see if he mentions it during tomorrow's game (assuming he will be calling the championship).

i am not sure if kellogg is calling the game again. does jim nantz also have a place where you can send along a message?

Last I checked CBS analysts have no real influence on who the selection committee chooses to make the tournament. At any rate, all you Gopher fans somehow keep overlooking the fact that you played 1/2 of a season with Al Nolen playing a significant role for your team, and the committee is required to evaluate your team without Nolen since he won't be playing in the tournament, so wins against teams like OSU and Butler in the first half of the season would be discounted somewhat for that reason, not because of anything regarding Turner. 6 in one, half a dozen in the other. Your team is going to make the field of 65 anyway. Quit whining.

Last I checked CBS analysts have no real influence on who the selection committee chooses to make the tournament. At any rate, all you Gopher fans somehow keep overlooking the fact that you played 1/2 of a season with Al Nolen playing a significant role for your team, and the committee is required to evaluate your team without Nolen since he won't be playing in the tournament, so wins against teams like OSU and Butler in the first half of the season would be discounted somewhat for that reason, not because of anything regarding Turner. 6 in one, half a dozen in the other. Your team is going to make the field of 65 anyway. Quit whining.

Completely. Missing. The. Point.

Clown, we've looked better now. Thanks a bunch.

We also had Nolen when we lost to a few bad teams. Does that mean those losses are discounted somewhat too?

We also had Nolen when we lost to a few bad teams. Does that mean those losses are discounted somewhat too?

The committee is going to put a lot more weight on how the team was playing without him, for better or worse. Those early losses would be discounted somewhat if the team was clearly better without him, but that's for the committee to decide.

Some of you Gopher fans are doing your best Wisconsin fan impression with the lack of respect mantra. A key player for OSU was in his second game back from serious injury and your team had the services of a player who later became ineligible - those are both logical reasons to discount that win, like it or not. Sure, the national media commonly makes an obvious error when mentioning this game, but they also don't mention Nolen playing in it, and the loss of him could be an excuse to discount every single win you had while he played if the committee felt your team was better with him. The media could be out there saying at every opportunity "they do have that Butler win and the OSU win, but it was with Al Nolen, and without Nolen the Gophers are 9-6 and only have four good wins, one at home against UW with Leuer in his first game back from injury, one at Illinois who might not make the tourney, one vs. a shorthanded MSU team in the BTT and one vs. a shorthanded PU team in the BTT" but instead they tend to ignore all that and say your team will make the NCAA tourney. Your team gets a chance tomorrow to show that the first win wasn't a fluke, so there's a great opportunity to earn the respect & the NCAA bid that you think you should have.

The committee is going to put a lot more weight on how the team was playing without him, for better or worse. Those early losses would be discounted somewhat if the team was clearly better without him, but that's for the committee to decide.

Some of you Gopher fans are doing your best Wisconsin fan impression with the lack of respect mantra. A key player for OSU was in his second game back from serious injury and your team had the services of a player who later became ineligible - those are both logical reasons to discount that win, like it or not. Sure, the national media commonly makes an obvious error when mentioning this game, but they also don't mention Nolen playing in it, and the loss of him could be an excuse to discount every single win you had while he played if the committee felt your team was better with him. The media could be out there saying at every opportunity "they do have that Butler win and the OSU win, but it was with Al Nolen, and without Nolen the Gophers are 9-6 and only have four good wins, one at home against UW with Leuer in his first game back from injury, one at Illinois who might not make the tourney, one vs. a shorthanded MSU team in the BTT and one vs. a shorthanded PU team in the BTT" but instead they tend to ignore all that and say your team will make the NCAA tourney. Your team gets a chance tomorrow to show that the first win wasn't a fluke, so there's a great opportunity to earn the respect & the NCAA bid that you think you should have.

Although these are negative points, all fair ones that some people here would point out against other teams...

So you're saying Turner woulda put up 40-20-10 against us if it wasn't his 2nd game back? Look at his stat line against us. You're really gonna use that as an excuse?

Top Bottom