Angelina Hammond Joins Gopher Roster

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Hammond is a preferred walkon.

MINNEAPOLIS – Minnesota women's basketball head coach Lindsay Whalen announced Monday the addition of Angelina Hammond to the Gophers' program. Hammond is a 5-11 guard from Hopkins, Minn., who has spent time at Siena, Miami Dade College and Southeastern University.

"I am excited to announce preferred walk-on Angelina Hammond to our roster today," Whalen said. "Returning to her home state, we know that Angelina will be a great representative for the University of Minnesota, our athletic department and our program. Being able to play multiple positions as well as bring length and experience are just a few attributes that she will bring to our team."

Hammond comes home to the Gophers after battling through multiple knee injuries in her career. After committing to Siena, Hammond redshirted after a knee injury that did not allow her to play a game. She moved to Southeastern the following two seasons where she made her collegiate debut for the Fire on Nov. 1, 2019. She played in 14 games for Southeastern in two seasons before moving on to Miami Dade College last season. At Miami Dade, Hammond had a career year on the court averaging 7.8 points per game and bringing down 6.5 rebounds per game. She registered an impressive 22-point, 8-rebound and 5-steal performance on Jan. 29. She was named to the First Team All-Southern Conference by the NJCAA, posting five double doubles in 28 games last season with her 16-point, 16-rebound game on Dec. 17, being her most notable double-double game.

A Hopkins high school product, Hammond was a three-time All-Conference selection along with earning an All-Tournament Team nod. She played for North Tartan EYBL and went to the Nike Nationals. She was a two-time All-State selection and was a four-year letterwinner.

Hammond becomes the fifth addition to the women's basketball program this offseason, joining Isabelle Gradwell (Cleveland State), Aminata Zie (WNCC), Mi'Cole Cayton (Nebraska) and Destinee Oberg (Arkansas).

Seems like a solid choice for a walk on. Experience but injuries.
I haven’t seen her play incollege, but in high school she was all attitude. Sat next to her parents when we were playing against them, and they thought she was going to be a top 20 for that year. She never lived up to their expectations.

I also havent seen her play in college but shes more of a undersized pf than guard like shes listed at. Shes a pretty solid athlete, good rebounder and defender. Not much of an offensive player and definitely not a shooter. Seems like shes dealt with alot of injuries since hs so who knows what kinda player she is now but getting a former d1 signee to walkon cant be a bad thing.

Last edited:

I haven’t seen her play incollege, but in high school she was all attitude. Sat next to her parents when we were playing against them, and they thought she was going to be a top 20 for that year. She never lived up to their expectations.
Hopefully the parent's attitude didn't rub off on their daughter, or if it did, some more productive perspective was gained.

If I recall correctly, she was on the NT EYBL team and left the team very early on, because she could not compete at that level. Not sure about this addition, but I hope she can play at this level.

If I recall correctly, she was on the NT EYBL team and left the team very early on, because she could not compete at that level. Not sure about this addition, but I hope she can play at this level.
I never understand these kind of comments. She's a walkon. Whatever she gives to the team is just a bonus.

I never understand these kind of comments. She's a walkon. Whatever she gives to the team is just a bonus.
This will be her 4th college team that she has played on, I'll leave it at that.

This will be her 4th college team that she has played on, I'll leave it at that.
Shes a walk on that was gonna go to school here regardless of basketball or not. If it doesnt work out, so be it, it cost them nothing.

She is willing to continue her education here and dedicate much of her spare time to her teammates, that is a big commitment and in my opinion should be applauded. Since she is walking on she is likely not expected to perform on the court much if at all on game day but they determined she could contribute in other ways. If that is true this is an excellent pickup.

I think your concern/criticism is misplaced because she is likely not anticipated to play the role you may think she should.

It's very in keeping with the rest of the team's social media game -- which still hasn't even helped us figure out who all these new people are -- but the video is so odd. It's titled "You're on scholarship" but does the president, or anyone, ever even say that?

It's very in keeping with the rest of the team's social media game -- which still hasn't even helped us figure out who all these new people are -- but the video is so odd. It's titled "You're on scholarship" but does the president, or anyone, ever even say that?
Didn't Gabel do the same thing for Will Ramberg on the men's team?

I thought I heard her say it when she turned toward Angelina at the end of her presentation.

It is a bit odd, but since the same things was done with Will Ramberg on the Men's team and they showed the whole thing there I have an assumption. Based on how clearly emotional Angelina is, I am assuming something was said during the announcement or her response was so personal they didn't feel they should share that so they edited it out.

I thought I heard her say it when she turned toward Angelina at the end of her presentation.
Yes she did, it was at the end of the video as an extra comment so the main announcement seems likely to have been earlier especially considering how emotional she was before it was stated.

She is willing to continue her education here and dedicate much of her spare time to her teammates, that is a big commitment and in my opinion should be applauded. Since she is walking on she is likely not expected to perform on the court much if at all on game day but they determined she could contribute in other ways. If that is true this is an excellent pickup.

I think your concern/criticism is misplaced because she is likely not anticipated to play the role you may think she should.
I don't think he is questioning her dedication or commitment to her teammates. He is just saying that the number of schools is pretty good clue regarding playing ability.

Top Bottom