ANDY KATZ: Tubby - ACC ?

Section201

Reaction score
From Andy Katz Quick Hits is a paragraph on Tubby and the ACC:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas.../id/6178495/dave-rose-expects-byu-bounce-back

If any ACC job is open, would Smith bail and return to the Southeast? If he did, would he be bolting on the Gophers before building this program up to a consistent level? I'll be very interested to see what develops in this situation.

I don't think anything will "develop" as I can not see Tubby bailing after this disasterous season. As FOT has said many times, I believe Tubby will retire from Minnesota.

I think would Tubby would more likely leave after a successful season, rather than an unsuccessful one.

The tend is downward. Last years recruits were very average and not much better this year. Players in their third year have not developed as much as hoped. From the flashes of talent shown as frosh, most fans would have assumed that Sampson and Iverson would be kicking butt this year. No go to jump shooter when Blake is gone. He has not brought in a program changing freshman. White might have been, but he is history. I hoped he would flash his NC ring and we would get any player we wanted. Has not happened. Buckeyes do it every year and that coach does not have a NC on his resume.

Chip and Mav. Certainly he can do better and for his salary he should be.

Chip and Mav. Certainly he can do better and for his salary he should be.

You really ARE clueless. Maverick was spring signee to replace Cobbs (transfer). Chip is 3X All-St player from Louisiana who was summer signee to take the scholarship held for Cory Joseph (opted for Texas).

The tend is downward. Last years recruits were very average and not much better this year. Players in their third year have not developed as much as hoped. From the flashes of talent shown as frosh, most fans would have assumed that Sampson and Iverson would be kicking butt this year. No go to jump shooter when Blake is gone. He has not brought in a program changing freshman. White might have been, but he is history. I hoped he would flash his NC ring and we would get any player we wanted. Has not happened. Buckeyes do it every year and that coach does not have a NC on his resume.

Not much better THIS year???

Joe Coleman is likely MN Mr Basketball and possibly 2-time state champion at Hopkins HS.

Andre Hollins is possibly TN Mr Basketball and Top 50 rated recruit. One of the best G in 2011 HS class.

Yet ANOTHER absurd statement by The Beav.

Beaver=dboy? Still hillarious to read his posts even if not. He certainly has an ax to grind.

You really ARE clueless. Maverick was spring signee to replace Cobbs (transfer). Chip is 3X All-St player from Louisiana who was summer signee to take the scholarship held for Cory Joseph (opted for Texas).

Hard to understand why people can't comprehend that, Oseniak was recruited late because Carter left also. I also think Maverick is going to develop into a decent pg before he is through.

I think this is much more realistic than certain posters are giving you credit for. I sometimes wonder if people are paying attention to the recruiting at other schools. Andre Hollins, who I think looks like a great prospect, pledged to the Gophers over Ole Miss, Auburn, and Harvard...not exactly a murderers row of schools. Holllins might have chosen Stanford over the Gophers if they didn't get a pledge from another guard. My point is this is the guy who we are all hanging our hats on and half the Big Ten probably has a more heralded recruit (or recruits) coming in.

Really the only bad recruiting happened last Spring, but that was a huge deal as we brought in 4 kids during that period. I would guess that one or more of those kids will be shown the door, but it also appears like we might take 3 Spring signees again. That is no way to run a successful program, the talent just isn't out there.

I think this is much more realistic than certain posters are giving you credit for. I sometimes wonder if people are paying attention to the recruiting at other schools. Andre Hollins, who I think looks like a great prospect, pledged to the Gophers over Ole Miss, Auburn, and Harvard...not exactly a murderers row of schools. Holllins might have chosen Stanford over the Gophers if they didn't get a pledge from another guard. My point is this is the guy who we are all hanging our hats on and half the Big Ten probably has a more heralded recruit (or recruits) coming in.

Really the only bad recruiting happened last Spring, but that was a huge deal as we brought in 4 kids during that period. I would guess that one or more of those kids will be shown the door, but it also appears like we might take 3 Spring signees again. That is no way to run a successful program, the talent just isn't out there.

Andre Hollins is likely to be Top 50 or 75 this spring and is clearly one of best G in 2011 class. He would be recruited by everybody if he were unsigned.

Maurice Walker was signed last spring. Bad recruiting?

Chip Armelin was signed last summer. Bad recruiting?

Oto Osenieks hasn't even played yet. Bad recruiting?

Some GH-ers are simply ridiculous at times.

Andre Hollins is likely to be Top 50 or 75 this spring and is clearly one of best G in 2011 class. He would be recruited by everybody if he were unsigned.

Maurice Walker was signed last spring. Bad recruiting?Based on play early looks like good recruiting

Chip Armelin was signed last summer. Bad recruiting?If he develops a jump shot, good recruiting, if not a 10-12 player on end of bench for any Big 10 team

Oto Osenieks hasn't even played yet. Bad recruiting?Jury is out. Isn't he 20 or 21 and never played a game beyond prep school and struggled internationally? I'm hoping he's the shooter we need and more of an athlete than Noreen at WVU.

Austin Hollins has potential is he becomes more assertive and polished on the offensive end. Eliason is big. I don't know what we'll get from Mav and hope we add more PG depth because these last two months have been brutal. I'm most hopeful about Andre Hollins. I hope Joe Coleman is more than a rich man's Chip Armelin. I hope I'm not being ridiculous.

Austin Hollins has potential is he becomes more assertive and polished on the offensive end. Eliason is big. I don't know what we'll get from Mav and hope we add more PG depth because these last two months have been brutal. I'm most hopeful about Andre Hollins. I hope Joe Coleman is more than a rich man's Chip Armelin. I hope I'm not being ridiculous.

Osenieks played for Latvian team in Europe but I'm not sure what level.

Honest Coaching Question

If you were the U, and Tubby was considering a move to the ACC (or at least used it as leverage for a pay increase/extension), would you let him walk if (and only if) you had a great coach lined up and agreed to take his spot (e.g. Flip)?

I know Flip has a few years left on his contract left in Washington (4 year deal signed in '09), and is paid significantly more than we can pay him (18 mil), but the success hasn't been there. He is already rumored to be on the hot seat, and it wouldn't surprise me if he simply decided to leave if another offer presented itself.

**This isn't an anti-Tubby comment either--simply a scenario question if Tubby were considering a move to the ACC**

If you were the U, and Tubby was considering a move to the ACC (or at least used it as leverage for a pay increase/extension), would you let him walk if (and only if) you had a great coach lined up and agreed to take his spot (e.g. Flip)?

I know Flip has a few years left on his contract left in Washington (4 year deal signed in '09), and is paid significantly more than we can pay him (18 mil), but the success hasn't been there. He is already rumored to be on the hot seat, and it wouldn't surprise me if he simply decided to leave if another offer presented itself.

**This isn't an anti-Tubby comment either--simply a scenario question if Tubby were considering a move to the ACC**

Flip Saunders would be an excellent choice to coach the Gophers if the job opened up. The Wizards are terrible this year.

Maurice Walker was signed last spring. Bad recruiting?

Chip Armelin was signed last summer. Bad recruiting?

Oto Osenieks hasn't even played yet. Bad recruiting?

Not sure on Chip, though Tubby found just 6 minutes for him against Michigan despite having only 8 active players and Chip playing his best game of the season the previous game. Not sure on Oto, though I don't think the Gophers take him if they knew he'd have to sit out this year. My larger point is that the vast majority of the talent signs in the Fall period and you don't want to be needing to fill scholarships in the Spring. The competition for even marginal players is much tougher because demand far exceeds supply.

Not sure on Chip, though Tubby found just 6 minutes for him against Michigan despite having only 8 active players and Chip playing his best game of the season the previous game. Not sure on Oto, though I don't think the Gophers take him if they knew he'd have to sit out this year. My larger point is that the vast majority of the talent signs in the Fall period and you don't want to be needing to fill scholarships in the Spring. The competition for even marginal players is much tougher because demand far exceeds supply.

Really stinks being in the top 4 of the number 9 recruit in the country ... damn spring recruiting

Top Bottom