Andy Greder Looks At Fleck's 4 Star Recruits - Twincities.com

Iceland12

Reaction score
To start next year’s class, Minnesota is forecast to sign 20 high school recruits, and recruiting services have rated two of them with four stars — running back Darius Taylor of Walled Lake, Mich., and offensive lineman Jerome W
Head coach P.J. Fleck and Minnesota have signed 14 four-star recruits across his previous six recruiting classes at Minnesota, and this low average of 2.3 per class has contributed to the U not having a class ranked among the top 35 nationally during Fleck’s tenure.

The 2023 class, which can sign national letters of intent on Wednesday, was ranked No. 42 in the nation as of Tuesday morning, according to 247sports.

Not all four-star recruits are created equal. Minnesota has had bonafide stars in Rashod Bateman and Daniel Faalele (signed in the 2018 class), both of whom went on to be NFL draft picks; big playmakers in Tyler Nubin (2019) and Daniel Jackson (20220), who will be leaders on the field next fall; and promising youngsters such as quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis (2021) and defensive end Anthony Smith (2022)..

HOW FOUR-STARS FAIRED

Success stories

Rashod Bateman
Daniel Faalele
Daniel Jackson
Tyler Nubin

OK career at U

Curtis Dunlap

One that got away

Mar’Keise Irving

Promising starts

Athan Kaliakmanis
Anthony Smith

To be determined

Trey Bixby
Deven Eastern

Didn’t work out

Itayvion Brown
Jacob Clark
Steven Ortiz Jr.
Alex Reigelsperger

going forward, it's only going to be tougher to land 4* recruits.

You want a 4* recruit - better have a damn nice NIL package ready to hand out.

otherwise, it will probably be like the current situation - maybe 1 or 2 a year.

otherwise, it will probably be like the current situation - maybe 1 or 2 a year.

I can see that happening...and it makes me think the people doing the ratings are ripe for corruption. I wonder what the going rate for an extra star is?

I think blanket statements like that are inaccurate- look at Dennis Evans. The third ranked recruit in this year’s class QB Donte Moore just flipped to UCLA from Oregon and he said he never took a NIL meeting during his recruitment (in the article I read) and that the NIL stuff will work it self out in the end.

Many of them will know that the Amounts of NIL are grossly inflated; smoke and mirrors- lots of conning - see Bleeds comments in that thread. This is a parallel universe, to how many Americans over emphasize the percentage of HHI with over $500k for example.

Last edited:

I can see that happening...and it makes me think the people doing the ratings are ripe for corruption. I wonder what the going rate for an extra star is?
SI had a lengthy piece on this 10-12 years ago with shoe companies paying off some rating services to over inflate their players, AAU players wearing their gear, as it gained them court cred. One guy never saw several of Sonny Vaccaroo’s Adidas players and put them in top 15 at his behest and a duffle bag of 💰.

SI had a lengthy piece on this 10-12 years ago with shoe companies paying off some rating services to over inflate their players, AAU players wearing their gear, as it gained them court cred. One guy never saw several of Sonny Vaccaroo’s Adidas players and put them in top 15 at his behest and a duffle bag of 💰.

Sonny was the OG, baby..... if there ever was one.

Top Bottom