Andre Hollins

josh087

Sharing Common Sense & Reality
Reaction score
Does anyone else think this coaching move could take him to elite level in the Big Ten? I'm excited for him to get the green light and be a true playmaker next year in a more open, faster offensive scheme. Could be scary for the rest of the BIG!

I think being an upperclassman and leader next year will do as much as anything.

I don't know what Pitino's half court philosophy really is, I mean, he says he wants to play fast and press, but beyond that, I don't know if his half court philosophy is any better than Tubby's or not. What I am hopeful for, is that being younger and more energetic, he'll be able to maybe connect with the guys and get more out of them on that end of the floor. Bring confidence to the offensive side of the ball. Dre never really seemed like a guy lacking confidence, so I'm not sure how much that'll change his game.

Does anyone else think this coaching move could take him to elite level in the Big Ten? I'm excited for him to get the green light and be a true playmaker next year in a more open, faster offensive scheme. Could be scary for the rest of the BIG!

Well considering none of us know anything about Mr. Pitino it's kind of hard to tell.

If Dre improves a lot next year I think it'll have more to do with his hard work this offseason than the coaching change. A strategic change by Pitino could help a little, but Dre needs to improve his ball handling to be a top PG and playmaker.

Well considering none of us know anything about Mr. Pitino it's kind of hard to tell.

In watching FIU several times this year it appears as if the half-court is much more open and free-flowing with guards driving more into the lane and dishing, as opposed to Tubby's system which mostly involved two bigs who had trouble scoring off the block clogging up the lane, while guards mostly tried to get open via downscreens. Who knows if this will translate from the Sun Belt to the BIG, but that's what I was referencing if you want me to be specific.

In watching FIU several times this year it appears as if the half-court is much more open and free-flowing with guards driving more into the lane and dishing, as opposed to Tubby's system which mostly involved two bigs who had trouble scoring off the block clogging up the lane, while guards mostly tried to get open via downscreens. Who knows if this will translate from the Sun Belt to the BIG, but that's what I was referencing if you want me to be specific.

Interesting. I will be looking to see how it flows in the rigors of the B1G, obviously the defensive pressure is a bit different, but I'm sure he's aware of that from his time in the Big East with Louisville.

I actually just watched their Sun Belt Semifinal win over Middle Tenn St on ESPN3 and I'd definitely agree with that. Lots of dribble-drive motion (and a lot of high ball screens) looking for shooters in the wing/corner. Definitely a lot more weak-side movement as well, in comparison to Tubby's offense. Granted that was in the Sun Belt, but at least (I think) the offense will be be more free-flowing and have some better spacing compared to what we've been used to seeing. Definitely works out nicely for a guy like Dre.

I think being an upperclassman and leader next year will do as much as anything.

I don't know what Pitino's half court philosophy really is, I mean, he says he wants to play fast and press, but beyond that, I don't know if his half court philosophy is any better than Tubby's or not. What I am hopeful for, is that being younger and more energetic, he'll be able to maybe connect with the guys and get more out of them on that end of the floor. Bring confidence to the offensive side of the ball. Dre never really seemed like a guy lacking confidence, so I'm not sure how much that'll change his game.

Not to be 'that guy' who bashes Tubby but it would be hard to be a worse offense than what we have had the last 6 years...

All schemes and systems aside, Dre Hollins has to be thrilled that he won't be yanked for Maverick Ahanmisi with 16 minutes left to go in the first half.

All schemes and systems aside, Dre Hollins has to be thrilled that he won't be yanked for Maverick Ahanmisi with 16 minutes left to go in the first half.

Agreed.

But, I think the underachieving players that are coming back will be the one's who drastically improve because of this move. I look to see kids like Maverick, Oto and Mo get appreciatively better and fundamentally more sound in their play. I expect everyone of the kids to play much more relaxed and attack in the offense rather than passively wonder who's going to shoot the ball and wait for the Tubby stare.

If Rich Pitino can take a team that only had 3 kids on scholarship and win 18 games with a bunch of walk-ons, then I think he can take the frightened kittens that shrank under Tubby's glare and make them appreciatively better.

Agreed.

But, I think the underachieving players that are coming back will be the one's who drastically improve because of this move. I look to see kids like Maverick, Oto and Mo get appreciatively better and fundamentally more sound in their play. I expect everyone of the kids to play much more relaxed and attack in the offense rather than passively wonder who's going to shoot the ball and wait for the Tubby stare.

If Rich Pitino can take a team that only had 3 kids on scholarship and win 18 games with a bunch of walk-ons, then I think he can take the frightened kittens that shrank under Tubby's glare and make them appreciatively better.

Agreed. I am hopeful some of the guys get better with a new voice and increased confidence.

Do you have any thoughts on the kind of substitution pattern Pitino (Little Richard) used? Have we seen the end of the regular line change system?

Little Richard...I like that

Do you have any thoughts on the kind of substitution pattern Pitino (Little Richard) used? Have we seen the end of the regular line change system?

He wants to play 9,10,11 guys. I highly doubt he puts an entire second team on the floor. I don't analyze other college coaches but not too many people I'm aware of do that.

Agreed.

I think a little research needs to be done on this "three scholarship" claim. According to the FIU website, the top seven scorers were 2 seniors, 2 juniors, 2 sops, and a freshman. The top leading scorers were JUCO juniors. I would be willing to bet they were on scholarship. The two seniors were experienced players who had been in the program. One sophomore was a transfer from Farleigh Dickinson. The freshman and the other sophomore don't have resumes of walk-ons.

Who says Dre will be the PG next year? Rich may (hopefully) bring in a great PG and move Dre to the 2, which is his more natural position. Just hope Pitino doesn't pull a Brewster on Dre like Brew did to Grey.

Good article at TDG about the system he runs:

Like his father, Pitino presses every possesion. FIU was 18th in the country in steals. FIU changes defenses frequently. After every made basket, they were in a full court pressure defense (or minimally full court man to man), and trapped infrequently. Once the opponent crossed mid-court, FIU alternated between a 2-3 zone and man to man.

In Pitino's own words, "I want to play a fast, high-octane style—I want to press, I want to run up and down the court." Unlike most coaches who pay lip service to the idea, Pitino's team actually does play up-tempo. According to Kenpom.com, they were 48th in the country in adjusted tempo (a measure that considers how fast a team play against an average tempo team).

One brief aside. In the second half, MTSU switched into a 1-3-1. For several possessions, FIU struggled to do anything on offense, turning the ball over and throwing up ill advised long 3s. Fortunately for Gopher fans, Pitino's team adjusted reasonably quickly and actually looked to attack the zone and force the defense to make decisions. It was brief, but I have no doubt whatsoever that Pitino knows how to correctly break the 1-3-1 to generate open corner 3s, easy layups, and high percentage 2s.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2013/...ch-pitinos-system-based-on-watching-two-games

I think a little research needs to be done on this "three scholarship" claim. According to the FIU website, the top seven scorers were 2 seniors, 2 juniors, 2 sops, and a freshman. The top leading scorers were JUCO juniors. I would be willing to bet they were on scholarship. The two seniors were experienced players who had been in the program. One sophomore was a transfer from Farleigh Dickinson. The freshman and the other sophomore don't have resumes of walk-ons.

Yeah, he probably scrounged some JUCO's and gave them scholarships. The article I read said that 5 of the previous years players left the program, leaving Pitino with only 3 players on scholarship. It is probably likely he did some quick hustling to get a few kids in on scholarship at the last hour. Even so, his ability to pull a winning record out of that mess is pretty impressive.

Who says Dre will be the PG next year? Rich may (hopefully) bring in a great PG and move Dre to the 2, which is his more natural position. Just hope Pitino doesn't pull a Brewster on Dre like Brew did to Grey.

I too would like to see Dre at the 2 more but you do not see very many 6'1" SG,s in the NBA. He needs to get a handle to enhance his professional future.

It was three scholarship players before bringing in his guys.

"I don't know if his half court philosophy is any better than Tubby's or not."

I believe if he HAS a half court philosophy, it'll be better than Tubby's. And I'll bet he has a couple of out of bounds plays too. I'm just giddy.

I actually just watched their Sun Belt Semifinal win over Middle Tenn St on ESPN3 and I'd definitely agree with that. Lots of dribble-drive motion (and a lot of high ball screens) looking for shooters in the wing/corner. Definitely a lot more weak-side movement as well, in comparison to Tubby's offense. Granted that was in the Sun Belt, but at least (I think) the offense will be be more free-flowing and have some better spacing compared to what we've been used to seeing. Definitely works out nicely for a guy like Dre.

Yeah, I noted the same things. Used single and double high screens for pick and pop/roll - ball handler making decisions on the fly. Ironically very much like I would have expected Flip to employ.

Top Bottom