And the new divisions are...

ChemEGopher

Section 133 Row 28!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Michigan, Nebraska, MSU, Iowa, Northwestern, and Minnesota.

OSU, PSU, Wisconsin, Purdue, Illinois, and Indiana.

I've seen this rumor come from multiple sources in the last 24 hours. If we still have a protected rivalry with Wisconsin I'd say it's OK. If not, I'll be mad.

That would be a dream division with a protected WI. I would do a subtle 'I'm at work, but very excited' fist pump if this were true.

I've seen this rumor come from multiple sources in the last 24 hours. If we still have a protected rivalry with Wisconsin I'd say it's OK. If not, I'll be mad.

If true, I am very very happy.....

Wisconsin is our biggest rival. If we do not have a protected rivalry against them, I will be VERY upset.

How serious are you about this?? I really, really, really hope this is true.

I agree....

...this would excellent.

No protected rivalry with Wisc or Iowa would bite.

No way Iowa-Wisc has the history of Minn Iowa or Minn Wisc.

I'm not sure how much they hate each other. Can't be that important...since the Wisky coach is Iowa FB player at one time.

GM

I am staking my entire credibility as an anonymous message board poster with this prediction so I am really hoping it happens.

Wisconsin is our biggest rival. If we do not have a protected rivalry against them, I will be VERY upset.

One thing is for sure. The Big 10 has the longest running rivalry in college sports. They will protect this by either putting them in the same division or making it the protected rival.

These divisions work for me.

This would be GREAT as long as the rivalry with Wisconsin is protected.

As stated before, if we end up playing, minimum, Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin every year I believe we will be starting every season with little chance to get the championship compared to our peers. Wisconsin, for example, would be playing only two of the top six programs some years. There was a day when I would have thought the fans would understand the huge disadvantage this would leave our coaches, players, fans and recruiting at. Now, I understand that football fans are a rather testosterone driven group.

Well, more than ever, Go Gophers NOW!!!

That split would work for me. I'm much more interested in the teams in our potential division than in other proposals, plus with the protected game against Wisconsin, that's good too. I'm generally against protected cross-divisional rivalries, but I'm more interested in what is best for the U.

As stated before, if we end up playing, minimum, Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin every year I believe we will be started every season with little chance to get the championship compared to our peers. Wisconsin, for example, would be playing only two of the top six programs some years. There was a day when I would have thought the fans would understand the huge disadvantage this would leave our coaches, players, fans and recruiting at. Now, I understand that football fans are a rather testosterone driven group.

Two years ago Wisconsin was 7-5. 3 years ago Iowa didn't even make a bowl. Nebraska was down for 5 years and Michigan has stunk the past 3 years (by their standards). College football dynasties aren't what they used to be. I'm not at all worried about being able to compete with these teams. Yes, they're better now, but they're not at the status that they'll never be able to be beaten.

I think they may go with naming the divisions "northwest" and "southeast." Basically true if you turn a blind eye to the geographical locations of UW and NW.

Book your hotels in Indianapolis now. Wisconsin/Minnesota for the Big 10 Championship.

As stated before, if we end up playing, minimum, Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin every year I believe we will be starting every season with little chance to get the championship compared to our peers. Wisconsin, for example, would be playing only two of the top six programs some years. There was a day when I would have thought the fans would understand the huge disadvantage this would leave our coaches, players, fans and recruiting at. Now, I understand that football fans are a rather testosterone driven group.

Get over it... How does that change when Mn, IL and Indy have good ten year runs? Obvioiusly the goal is to "be" one of those top teams, and not have to play yourself!

As long as the 60000 pound gorilla OSU is not in our division, we have as good a chance as any other team in the division to be division champ...

I would rather play ALL of those teams every year then have to go through Ohio State to win our half of the division. Ohio State owns the Big Ten. THose other programs have down years fairly often. The Buckeyes don't

-Now, I understand that football fans are a rather testosterone driven group.-

Now you understand that?

You whined about playing Ohio State every year possibly.

Now you whine about this.

Go follow Bethel football. Division I-A football has passed you by.

Really? I think the idea is to build a program that can BEAT Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Nebraska on a regular basis. That's what we're trying to do here, right? Or are we just looking for a schedule where we can get a divisional win against the likes of Purdue, NW, Illinois, MSU, and Indiana only to get crucified by Ohio State in the championship? No thanks, not me.

That old saying "You have to beat the best to be the best." seems appropriate in response to your post.

In a few years, Michigan, Iowa and Wisconsin will be whining about having to play Nebraska and the Gophers every year!!! Go Gophers!!!

I hope you are right ChemEGopher but what I'm hearing is that you can swap Illinois and Minnesota. We are going east with Becky I'm afraid. :mad: Gosh I hope I'm wrong.

Like most replies here... I think this alignment is great for the Gophers IF the yearly battle with Wisconsin continues. If there is a protected rivalry with Wisconsin... I'd say the MN interests were preserved very well and any of us (including me, a bit) that were ripping on our AD for being a weenie need to admit we were WRONG. If Wisconsin isn't preserved and the oldest continual rivalry in D1 is sold out down the river... Maturi owes the MN fans an apology.

Now I'm not getting my hopes too high... but if this turns out to be the truth I will tatoo my whole body as a gopher. (assuming Delany isn't stupid and keeps the longest standing 1A football rivalry game in-tact)

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?p=247895#post247895

I think they may go with naming the divisions "northwest" and "southeast." Basically true if you turn a blind eye to the geographical locations of UW and NW.

Why does Northwestern get a division named after them?

You whined about playing Ohio State every year possibly.

Now you whine about this.

Go follow Bethel football. Division I-A football has passed you by.

What? When? By the way, Coach Bill Cooper lost his job at OSU because Michigan's Lloyd Carr owned him. I am glad we will not play PSU and OSU every year. But, I safely predict, you guys will cry like babies about an "understandable" bad record on those years when we WILL get OSU plus Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa and Michigan.:cry::cry: Sorry, but that will be just too hard to get to the title game.

I hope you are right ChemEGopher but what I'm hearing is that you can swap Illinois and Minnesota. We are going east with Becky I'm afraid. :mad: Gosh I hope I'm wrong.

Big Buzzkill if this is true

What? When? By the way, Coach Bill Cooper lost his job at OSU because Michigan's Lloyd Carr owned him. I am glad we will not play PSU and OSU every year. But, I safely predict, you guys will cry like babies about an "understandable" bad record on those years when we WILL get OSU plus Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa and Michigan.:cry::cry: Sorry, but that will be just too hard to get to the title game.

What were you hoping for?

OSU, PSU, NEB, MICH, WI, IA

MN, NU, IN, IL, MSU, PU

Have you looked at our schedule this year? The only one crying about this is you :cry::cry:.

Top Bottom