And now: the missing piece of the puzzle to restore Gopher Football to respectability

imthewalrus

Reaction score
I called for the replacement of that brewster clown: mission accomplished! I demanded that the lame duck prexy b. should limp off into the sunset. Shortly before the end of June, when his employment as prexy would be terminated, he broke his leg. BINGO! I have demanded that badger joel macturi be thrown under the bus and ditched, The masses are now calling for the same thing.

But now, I am going to reveal the final miracle that MUST happen to bring to an end the woes of the University of Minnesota Football Program. Of course, it will help IF the old wilfster sells the vikings to the LA Chamber of Commerce, but this plan will even top that!

What NEEDS to happen to reverse this downward spiral that Gopher Football has been stuck in for most of the past 43 seasons is that ALL of the local sports media reporters, columnists, radio sports jokeys, tv blow-dry sports anchors MUST be driven from the Twin Cities newspapers, radio statons and television stations.

We have FIRED All our Football Coaches. We have gone through a number of administrative changes over the many decades of our wandering and wondering in the wilderness. We have abandoned an old stadium, played entirely too long in a damn dome stadium and have recently constructed and have started playing in our new on campus stadium. We have abandoned the "forever" flagship radio station that carried the Gophers and have taken the radio broadcasts to a station that has historically lambasted and mocked Gopher Football. Ray Christiansen finally retired. Gutter Helmet, Cambria and that Funeral Home no longer help sponsor Golden Gopher Football broadcasts on the "good neighbor..."

Nothing has worked.

We have fired the coaches who have had better success than the coaches we replaced them with.

Nothing has worked.

Here is my NEW and improved plan for healing Golden Gopher Football and returning it to a place of respectability within the Big Ten Conference.

ALL the sports media people in the Twin Cities HAVE to be DITCHED and THROWN UNDER THE BUS before this football program can survive and prosper. I don't know why I didn't think of this before. It is all so clear. The answer should have been implemented and put into place DECADES ago.

Start with Sid Hartman. He talks about covering Paul Giel. He recalls when Bud Grant played for the Gophers. That was back in the 1940's. He's been here "...from BIERMAN...to Eternity..." And, the results for Golden Gopher Football, following the brief revival of 1960, 1961 and 1962...and the final fling in 1967, have been on the decline...just as Sid's returns have been much diminished with his sports "journalism..." skills.

Pat Reusse has been on the scene for well over forty years, and possibly the half century mark is within sight for him now. Once again, his work, coincides with the demise of Golden Gopher Football. From his days on the Pioneer Press...to his shamefully disloyal move over the River to the strib...to the endless Saturday Morning binges with Joe S. on KSTP Radio, to his larger role on KSTP to has cheap tv gigs...Only Sid can surpass reusse's role in the demise of Golden Gopher Football. Really, not many have had such a negative impact for such a long time.

The SID & DAVE SHOW on the good neighbor has been running for SO long, how could Gopher Football have stood a chance.

And the list goes on, and on, and on:

Powers, Sansevere and Charley Walters over in St. Paul at the pp. Shaver, Rosen, max, Schmidt on tv. Souhan, Scoggins and some more recent folks at both the strib and pp.

barerio (sp? who cares?), cole, doogieman, max, et, al on radio. They must ALL be sacrificed for the greater good of Golden Gopher Football.

It is OBVIOUS that their work has hampered, hindered and held back any positive progress the Golden Gopher Football Program could make. These people have all described in great detail and with great passion just how horrible the Gopher Football Program was. They have helped to have coaches fired.

How clear it ALL is to me now. It maybe never was the coaches...the players or the program. Maybe it NEVER was the stadium...the BRICKHOUSE, the DAMNDOME, or even TCF BANK STADIUM.

However, some of the problem did, indeed lie with administration. (Throw badger joel macturi UNDER the bus!)

AND: the rest of the story of the blame for the demise of Golden Gopher Football IS the fact, and can ONLY be the fact that we need to totally clean house and abandon any sports journalist that has been here at least a year,...five years...ten years...25 years, 50 years and 60 plus years.

Blame it on the media in the Twin Cities.

We have tried EVERYTHING else. This is the ONLY constant from the time they fired Bierman up until the day Coach Kill came to Minneapolis. Not only does the sports media in the Twin Cities suck, entierly too many of them have been around for entirely too long. They are not doing the Gopher Football any favors by hanging on so DARNED long. They have been here through pretty much the entire demise of the past half century. From the penthouse to the outhouse of college football at the U of M, these tired, old sports media members have led us down a narrowing, sad and slippery path to the Bottom of the Big Ten. Just think about it: EVERY bad thing that has happened to the Gopher Football Program has been written about, talked about and broadcast over the airwaves indiscriminantly by these sports media types who have most certainly overstayed their welcome. Out with the old IF you care about Gopher Football. In with the new! It is the ONLY possible solution fo the collapse of this football program AGAIN...

DUMP the sports media. They have ALL got to go! Thrown them under the bus NOW!

There NEEDS to be MANDATED early retirement for any sports media person in the Twin Cities who covers the Golden Gopher Football Program for One full season. The prexy and the ad MUST offer a BUY OUT to any and all radio, tv and print media people who cover, critiize and/or in any way, shape or form draw a salary for communicating over the public air ways or in the printed media about Gopher Football.

There you have it! This mandated buy out WILL achieve results!
; 0 )

Really? WOW...what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard in my life.

It was the media's fault Nebraska fumbled forward for first down today, it was the media's fault the punter dropped the snap
against Wisonsin. It was the media's fault NW completed a hail mary. It was the media's fault Purdue went 50 yards in 19
seconds without a timeout. It was the media's fault Minnesota ran for 400+ yards and lost to Michigan.

Congrats Walrus, you have figured it out!!!

Wow, get a life, Rambler. I thought it was impossible, but I think you've outdone yourself. You need a straight jacket.

damn the media for ruining that 31 point lead on osu

Every city in the country has their Reusses, Barreiros, etc. They're like vermin, they'll always be around no matter what you do. Gotta find a way to live with them. About all you can hope for is that reasonable voices clearly call them what they are so that they don't appear to speak for the majority.

I'm pretty sure some of these statements are tongue in cheek.

Check your psychotropic medication pillbox pal....you ran out of meds last week! Call your primary care provider for new prescriptions.

I'm pretty sure some of these statements are tongue in cheek.

Those who know the Walrus/RenegadeRambler/Wren's history on this site know that he really believes this. He just hasn't been able to move on since his buddy Glen got axed. Seriously, I hope someday he'll eventually be able to move on with his life.

You know nothing, selection sunday. The odds are extremely high that John Galt is very perceptive and can read things the way they are written. While you are just an old nasty msu closet fan from Northfield, hodger. We need new themes to distract us from those already calling for Coach Kills head. . I love to have some fun! It's a good thing. Try it sometime selection sunday...

PS: it's always fun to have some fun at the media's expense...don't you think, hodger?

; 0 )

You know nothing, selection sunday. The odds of that are extremely high that John Galt is very perceptive and can read things the way they are written. While you are just an old nasty msu closet fan from Northfield, hodger. We need new themes to distract us from those already calling for Coach Kills head. . I love to have some fun! It's a good thing. Try it sometime selection sunday...

PS: it's always fun to have some fun at the media's expense...don't you think, hodger?

; 0 )
It is impossible to judge if you are serious or not because your last idea was the most ridiculous thing ever, and you were DEFINITELY serious.

Seriously Moderators, you've banned this tool before, so why is he being allowed to post on this site?

Thanks Wren, you made my day. Only 2 Badger Joel references. That has to be a record.

If the Vikings leave the pressure on the Gophers football team will automatically jump up a level or two. All focus would be on them. It would be interesting to see what would happen.

Birdy does have some points. Go back to the ___Sunday peach sports section and look at the coverage. Sequence pictures with players names, Coverage by Dick Cullum, John Roe and Sid during the week. There was aan article on the Gophs almost everyday, and at least 1x a week there was a player profile. People and kids around the state read this stuff and is one of the reasons that HS players around the state wanted to be gophers. Thats why there were Fr. teams that had 100+ players try out, thats just Fr. The Vikings have hurt that some, but if they still had that kind of coverage the fire could be brought back. Kill is doing his part, now lets get the press hellping not hurting.

I called for the replacement of that brewster clown: mission accomplished! I demanded that the lame duck prexy b. should limp off into the sunset. Shortly before the end of June, when his employment as prexy would be terminated, he broke his leg. BINGO! I have demanded that badger joel macturi be thrown under the bus and ditched, The masses are now calling for the same thing.

But now, I am going to reveal the final miracle that MUST happen to bring to an end the woes of the University of Minnesota Football Program. Of course, it will help IF the old wilfster sells the vikings to the LA Chamber of Commerce, but this plan will even top that!

What NEEDS to happen to reverse this downward spiral that Gopher Football has been stuck in for most of the past 43 seasons is that ALL of the local sports media reporters, columnists, radio sports jokeys, tv blow-dry sports anchors MUST be driven from the Twin Cities newspapers, radio statons and television stations.

We have FIRED All our Football Coaches. We have gone through a number of administrative changes over the many decades of our wandering and wondering in the wilderness. We have abandoned an old stadium, played entirely too long in a damn dome stadium and have recently constructed and have started playing in our new on campus stadium. We have abandoned the "forever" flagship radio station that carried the Gophers and have taken the radio broadcasts to a station that has historically lambasted and mocked Gopher Football. Ray Christiansen finally retired. Gutter Helmet, Cambria and that Funeral Home no longer help sponsor Golden Gopher Football broadcasts on the "good neighbor..."

Nothing has worked.

We have fired the coaches who have had better success than the coaches we replaced them with.

Nothing has worked.

Here is my NEW and improved plan for healing Golden Gopher Football and returning it to a place of respectability within the Big Ten Conference.

ALL the sports media people in the Twin Cities HAVE to be DITCHED and THROWN UNDER THE BUS before this football program can survive and prosper. I don't know why I didn't think of this before. It is all so clear. The answer should have been implemented and put into place DECADES ago.

Start with Sid Hartman. He talks about covering Paul Giel. He recalls when Bud Grant played for the Gophers. That was back in the 1940's. He's been here "...from BIERMAN...to Eternity..." And, the results for Golden Gopher Football, following the brief revival of 1960, 1961 and 1962...and the final fling in 1967, have been on the decline...just as Sid's returns have been much diminished with his sports "journalism..." skills.

Pat Reusse has been on the scene for well over forty years, and possibly the half century mark is within sight for him now. Once again, his work, coincides with the demise of Golden Gopher Football. From his days on the Pioneer Press...to his shamefully disloyal move over the River to the strib...to the endless Saturday Morning binges with Joe S. on KSTP Radio, to his larger role on KSTP to has cheap tv gigs...Only Sid can surpass reusse's role in the demise of Golden Gopher Football. Really, not many have had such a negative impact for such a long time.

The SID & DAVE SHOW on the good neighbor has been running for SO long, how could Gopher Football have stood a chance.

Powers, Sansevere and Charley Walters over in St. Paul at the pp. Shaver, Rosen, max, Schmidt on tv. Souhan, Scoggins and some more recent folks at both the strib and pp.

barerio (sp? who cares?), cole, doogieman, max, et, al on radio. They must ALL be sacrificed for the greater good of Golden Gopher Football.

It is OBVIOUS that their work has hampered, hindered and held back any positive progress the Golden Gopher Football Program could make. These people have all described in great detail and with great passion just how horrible the Gopher Football Program was. They have helped to have coaches fired.

How clear it ALL is to me now. It maybe never was the coaches...the players or the program. Maybe it NEVER was the stadium...the BRICKHOUSE, the DAMNDOME, or even TCF BANK STADIUM.

However, some of the problem did, indeed lie with administration. (Throw badger joel macturi UNDER the bus!)

AND: the rest of the story of the blame for the demise of Golden Gopher Football IS the fact, and can ONLY be the fact that we need to totally clean house and abandon any sports journalist that has been here at least a year,...five years...ten years...25 years, 50 years and 60 plus years.

We have tried EVERYTHING else. This is the ONLY constant from the time they fired Bierman up until the day Coach Kill came to Minneapolis. Not only does the sports media in the Twin Cities suck, entierly too many of them have been around for entirely too long. They are not doing the Gopher Football any favors by hanging on so DARNED long. They have been here through pretty much the entire demise of the past half century. From the penthouse to the outhouse of college football at the U of M, these tired, old sports media members have led us down a narrowing, sad and slippery path to the Bottom of the Big Ten. Just think about it: EVERY bad thing that has happened to the Gopher Football Program has been written about, talked about and broadcast over the airwaves indiscriminantly by these sports media types who have most certainly overstayed their welcome. Out with the old IF you care about Gopher Football. In with the new! It is the ONLY possible solution fo the collapse of this football program AGAIN...

; 0 )

Seriously, someone needs happy pills.

:...Yesterday 10:36 PM#2

GopherinPhilly

The idea of the professional sports writer is dead..."

A very interesting opinion re; Tom Powers column. Would you not agree with this observation about this long-time local sports writer from the Pioneer Press? (quote from GopherinPhily re: Tom Powers:"this team just isn't worth the anger..." thread.)

; 0 )

The 12th Man states:

"Bravo to Doogie for feeding into the nonsense..."

Yes, I believe a number of folks believe there may be some issues with our local long-time media members comments, columns and influences...

; 0 )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And just yesterday, hungan1 said:

"...All the news rags went to seed with the internet era. Sports writer's get caught in the instant gratification world..."

You must have hit YOUR happy pills awfully hard since you said that, is that correct hungan1? However, you do make a very interesting and insightful statement about the state of the sports media. Well done and thank you for your input, hungan1

; 0 )

GopherRock observes: "...The writers in this town are the worst of any market in the B10 regarding college sports. No discussion..."

Truely a bold and forceful statement on the part of GopherRock concerning the alarming impact of the local writers on our local B10 football program.

Nothing has worked.

Nothing has worked.

; 0 )

Absolutely one of the most hilarious things I've read in a long time...I laughed hard for a lengthy period of time...a truly brilliant treatise by imthewalrus...hehehe

I guess the local, long-time media gets imthewalrus's vote for Turkey of the Year in 2012...

I don't know if a "turkey" of the year award could be split into small enough pieces to be shared by this incredible cast of less than credible, too long of tooth sports scribes. Certainly, this group from Sid to patrick to barrerio (sp? why bother?) to Powers, to Sansevere, to Walters to Mona to dank star to max to Rosen/Schmidt/Shaver all the way down to the 12 year doogieman apprenticeship catagory of local media ancients. And let's not forget Michelle (the airport beat gossip artist) and sid's kid chad who USED to do sports and now just does being sid's kid chad on the good neighbor.

Dave Lee will now attempt to derail the mighty St. Thomas football machine as the Good Neighbor seeks to lower the MIAC a peg or two with their coverage. They will assign all of their local sports media connections TOMMIE DUTY and will outfiit them in official Tommy Hilfiger fashionable active wear.

I think the: "...THEY COOKED THE GOPHER'S GOOSE BY BEING BAD NEWS BEARERS..." award can probably best capture the spirit of this half-century or more of "hanging on" that has been perfected by the more senior members of this very large and constantly growing army of local sports specialists and survivers.

I really do think that for the sake of keeping it simple, the award should simply be called:

" The ba$tard$ Got 'em Down..." award For the years 1950 through 2011 and beyond. There could be a "special lifetime achievement" award for any of these clowns with 30 or more years of bashing the Gopher Football Program certified and documented on their resume. They could also be given a lifetime ban from TCF BANK STADIUM.

Until they have been de-bussed and ditched, there are entirely too many local sports journalists who have been around entirely too long...

I am especially excited about the MANDATED buy out aspect that accompanies "....The ba$tard$ Got 'em Down..." award. It will be fun for the prexy and the ad to hand the "buy out" check to EACH of the dozens and dozens of free-loaders who earn part of their salary for taking dirty, cheap shots at the Gopher Football Program.

BUY OUT any and EVERY sports media dude or dudette who has earned a dime from covering Gopher Football for one full season! This will INSURE that the long-suffering Gopher Football TRUE Fan Base will have "fresh meat" to go after when they call for "NO HITS" on Gopher Football Blogs. And, it will insure that NO long-standing anti-gopher cheap-shotting newspaper, radio or tv personality will have recycled cheap shots ready to go to meet a deadline. Just as the Pulitzer Prize offers a cash prize, so will: "...The Ba$tard$ Got 'em Down..." award winners receive a final cash settlement to NEVER besmirch the Golden Gopher Football Program again.

As the old bashing sports media covering the Gopher Football Program begin to disappear from the scene, just watch Gopher Football rise from the ashes and become a respectable Big Ten Football Program once again.

; 0 )

Dear Wren,

I have been following your posts for years, some i like, some i dont. Your arguments on Prexy B, Maturi, Brewster were dead on, even when i didnt beleive you. I cant stand sid or fat pat, lets start there and see what happens...if sid or pat never spoke about again i wouldnt mind.

Wren: "Here is my NEW and improved plan for healing Golden Gopher Football and returning it to a place of respectability within the Big Ten Conference."

Now you sound like Obama with his recent beleagured and delinquent attempts to create jobs.

I have your back on a good number of your "throw ______ under the bus" campaigns. But this one is a tad overboard. Tad??? This one is definitely in the "huh?" category??

Where is your sense of humor Bayfield? And, don't you find it a bit ironic that so MANY people here are constantly telling everyone not to even open a piece by reusse or some other media hack? And, then they act all offended when I make a little joke about the whole damn local sports media providers? Some of these clowns have been writing the same basic stuff for 10...20...50...65 years.

Heck: we have fired so damn many coaches we are the graveyard of college coaches. We never fire the foolish administrators...They get to retire to "save face..."

And, you and your politics? Jeeze, man, if you depend on ANY politician for ANYTHING you are asking for anything you may get. And, besides that Bayfield, the political crap belongs on that "other board."

I'm having a heck of a lot of fun poking fun at thes sports writers, columnists, blow-drys and radio jokeys. They have been around here forever. I'm tired of them. I'm tired of firing coaches and I am tired of administrators passing the buck re: the football program. I've been paying out a lot of good money for well over 30 years buying season tickets and much longer than that buying tickets for Gopher Football. And, the administrators have been perfectly satisfied to take my money, fire coaches and continue to put NON-COMPETETIVE Big Ten Football teams out there. And, the same damn sports writers are writing the same darn things trying to start coach lynchings and firings to keep the cycle going. And they DON'T go after the administrators...the people who have the power to do something about the less than competetive product that is put on the field.

I've seen them abandon stadiums, go to "free rent" situations and then finally return to campus. I have seen them fire coaches and hire replacement coaches who don't have a CHANCE to even do as well as the coach they just fired.

These tired old sports media people are owned by the nfl, nba, nhl and mlb. And, they KNOW where their bread is buttered. Some have been here well over half a century...but...the truely disturbing thing is how many of them have been here 20...30...40 years.

I am growing more and more cynical of the entire process here Bayfield. The prexy...the ad...the coaches...the recruiting...the players...and ESPECIALLY the media. So, it is TIME to have some fun making fun of the entire process. IF you stop to think about it, Bayfield...it's a pretty sad, sick process.

The fans are a big part of the process...you...me...all of us.

One thing is VERY certain: I am not taking any of this very seriously. I'm just taking a light hearted approach to the insanity of college football...and all that goes along with it. It's pretty much a joke...especially the way we do it here in Minnesota. My most serious targeted questionable participants who have some power and some clout are the prexy's of the U and then ALL these sports media people who have been here for seemingly forever.

Mark my words Bayfield: Gopher Football will NOT improve until some of these embedded sports media names have hung it up and no longer recycle their same old trash...Some of them have stayed at the party for entirely too long. And, I think they know who they are...I think we all know who they are.

And WE are part...a big part of the problem too Bayfield. Whether we agree with them, detest them or are their big fans...we are a huge part of the problem. When we laugh at them...we must laugh at ourselves. We can't take ourseles SO seriously. Why, when I contrast on this board, I sometimes don't have anything too serious in mind. I laugh. I have fun. I poke fun. It's ALL fun, fun fun!

When you really think about it...so is politics. All politicians are big jokes! So are all sports writers/personalities. Life goes on...

; 0 )

Walrus.......please give up the incessant arguing, you are pi$$ing a lot of people off by continuing your inane arguing.

Thanks,

Dr.Don

Dr. Don,

Who is arguing? People here on this board are ALWAYS complaining about the sports media in this town, are they not?

There are many sides to every issue, Dr. Don. It is good to explore "this side...and...that side...and every side of an issue..." And, as a very wise person may say from time to time"...it is always better to be pi$$ed off than to be pi$$ed on..."

Have a great day Dr. Don!

; 0 )

Walrus, I enjoyed your angle and got a good laugh out of it. Others should lighten up.

LittleBigBoy makes some great points. In other markets, there are daily articles on the team with real insight, player profiles, etc. that create a sense of pride in the team even if they're struggling. With the exception of Miller at the Strib, no one else gets this and never will. It would be nice to have some fresh voices.

...When you really think about it...so is politics. All politicians are big jokes! So are all sports writers/personalities. Life goes on...

; 0 )

imthewalrus,

It looks like you are taking 'term limits' to new heights with your inclusion of local media folks...:)

No doubt, fans in other markets around the USA would gladly join in the fun and support your idea...

I haven't read a word in this thread, I can only assume that there are this many responses telling wren to STFU.

The Twin Cities media has been unusually sour on Gopher football for a long time (when not being indifferent). I think that has a lot to do with the "major league" outlook the scribes feel they should reflect. With the exception of Sid, being a homer is considered rube behavior. Before the '60s, when the Twins and Vikings arrived, most columnists in both cities were respecful of the Gophers. If you go back to the forties and fifties, local coverage was similar to what now prevails in Lincoln and Omaha. If Nebraska ever gets major league sports, the media attitude toward the Huskers will dramatically change.

Top Bottom