And Here Come the Mouthbreathers!

GophBen

Reaction score
So, how many posts will be about firing Brewster in the next few days? Or firing Fisch? Or benching Weber?

I doubt there will be many threads about our DEs not being able to pressure the QB, or about our OL's inability to open running lanes. But hey, Fire Brewster, right?

We lost, and it sucks. But creating a winning program takes time. We have to continue to recruit and develop the recruits into players that fit our system. Hopefully the system will be in place for a few years so we can develop some continuity.

Ha ha just give it maybe 3 three days and it will be non-existant. Now one coach that has to go no question about it is Don Lucia. What a joke of a coach.

That's not funny because it always seems to be fire the coach

I didn't advocate for it the last time it happened and don't support it this time either.
Where is Tim Davis in all of this. I thought Davis was supposed to be the running game coordinator and some kind of GURU. So far I'm a little underwhelmed with his coaching and that of the rb coach.
He replaced the O-line coach before last season was even over,
we don't have enough of the horses up front O-line or D-line but they do not seem to imporve a little bit even week after week.You should be able to make a little chicken soup out of chicken bleep from time to time, Defense plays the hole game when you can't pressure the QB in the least. We have had zero pass rush going on upwards of 7-8 years now. Take the lumps and the beatdowns and hope they can continue to bring in more players like Keanon Cooper I guess.

So, how many posts will be about firing Brewster in the next few days? Or firing Fisch? Or benching Weber?

I doubt there will be many threads about our DEs not being able to pressure the QB, or about our OL's inability to open running lanes. But hey, Fire Brewster, right?
I think talk of firing Brewster is reactionary and premature, however all those things you mentioned are ultimately the responsibility of the staff.

Where is Tim Davis in all of this. I thought Davis was supposed to be the running game coordinator and some kind of GURU. So far I'm a little underwhelmed with his coaching and that of the rb coach.
What specifically are you underwhelmed with?

Too late, those of us with sense were calling for it when he was hired. And he's done nothing to make us change our mind since.

Sadly there are ignorant homers that despite all evidence will never change their mind. And they're the ones helping hold this program back. :(

Too late, those of us with sense were calling for it when he was hired. And he's done nothing to make us change our mind since.

Sadly there are ignorant homers that despite all evidence will never change their mind. And they're the ones helping hold this program back. :(
You're so wise and clairvoyant. You should dedicate your brilliance to a cause far more worthy than this message board. Buh-bye.

Wills was Davis guy that he wanted

I would almost perfer trying Carufel there and bringing Tavale back in at RG. If that were an option I guess they would be doing that. The running game has severly regressed under Tim Davis at least that is the perception at this point. This is a combination of the O-lineman and running backs not having any chemistry, when the line does make a play the back's do not seem to make the right read. Right now there does not seem to be anything that you can hang your hat on or put a nail on the wall and say this is what the Gophers do well on the line. They have not improved significantly with the offensive line since making the coaching change. Davis is not responsible for the mental errors that upperclassman make, but he is responsible to find a combination of guy's that can work together. Just throwing stuff against the wall and sticking with the same guy's does not seem to be working. Left side it does not seem to matter who is over there at tackle Stommes, Alford, Bunders, the Gophers get no drive off the ball and are leaky in pass protection there, nobody seems to know who should pick up who what responsibility they have, when to block down and double team they are missing guys and blocks constantly, this isn't all on the coach but when the same players are making the same mental errors and mistakes you kind of scratch your head and say what do we do now? I would think the coach would almost be at that point.

We lost, and it sucks. But creating a winning program takes time. We have to continue to recruit and develop the recruits into players that fit our system. Hopefully the system will be in place for a few years so we can develop some continuity.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Yes...thank you for saying it. I completely agree.

But creating a winning program takes time.

At his press conference when he was hired, he should've at least warned us that it was going to take this much time...."By year three we're going to be dead last in the Big Ten in total offense and dead last in the Big Ten in total defense and we're going to allow a third down conversion 58 percent of the time but we'll be headed in the right direction."

At his press conference when he was hired, he should've at least warned us that it was going to take this much time...."By year three we're going to be dead last in the Big Ten in total offense and dead last in the Big Ten in total defense and we're going to allow a third down conversion 58 percent of the time but we'll be headed in the right direction."

This is progress. How many times did we talk about if only the offense and defense were on par with each other under Mason? Well, now they are. That is progress, apparently.

The biggest problem Brewster has is that he does not appear to know what he wants to do. That indecision has set the program back -- it is fair, I think to expect that the indecision is to be expected from a first time head coach, which is why I still believe that the U should not be an entry level position.

This season will play out as expected early on, although I don't believe this team is any better than last years as some suggested but would be hidden by the tougher schedule.

There is always next year......

I agree with caliGopher in that Brewster doesn't seem to know what he wants to do. I believe the defense is playing better than it did under Mason, but unfortunately, the offense is really in a quandry.

Going from the spread to a power pro-set was really odd, although I hated the spread and it really only masked the issue that we lack playmakers. I frankly don't know if Weber is a good QB or not because the spread can make an average QB look like a world-beater, but we still couldn't get a yard when we needed one during Dunbar's tenure.

The problem with hiring someone like Brewster is that he had no identity as a coach. He has had to establish that for himself and his team and that's no easy matter. I'm worried that Brewster may become a Cam Cameron-type unless he can get it cooking soon. Brewster's advantage is that he appears to be a better recruiter.

I'm puzzled that the O-line hasn't played better, but Davis simply can't turn things around. Given his resume, I did expect more, but maybe we just lack players or at least players that can play in Davis' system.

Fisch has shown me some things, but I think his play-calling is really erratic and, (this is almost contradictory) at the same time, predictable for the opposition.

What specifically are you underwhelmed with?

Tim Davis was sold as a O line guru and would make the running game into a viable threat. Right now, the Minnesota rushing offense is ranked 105th in the country. THAT is underwhelming.

I'm curious as to how much time it takes to create a winning program in your mind? Actually, how would you argue that we're even on the right track?

For a coach that was brought in to recruit, and not as an established Xs and Os guy, it takes four years from his first recruiting class.

As Brewster was brought in as a recruiter, one would argue progress based on the quality of prospects the coach has brought in. On paper, these are hands down the best classes I've ever seen from the Gophers (though I admittedly have only been following about the past 10 years, I would assume they're among the best since the glory years). On the field, it can be seen in the play of young guys like Keanon Cooper and Troy Stoudamire, high-caliber prospects who are already showing flashes of huge play as underclassmen.

I'm glad I could clear this up for you.

I would almost perfer trying Carufel there and bringing Tavale back in at RG. If that were an option I guess they would be doing that. The running game has severly regressed under Tim Davis at least that is the perception at this point.

Tavale? are you serious?

Damn Mouthbreathers!

med_mouth_breathing.jpg

mouthbreather. that's a great term. i don't know what it means, but i'm definitely going to start using it:D

Top Bottom