An apology

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Well, the time has come for me to apologize for my negativity regarding the Ben Johnson hire. Yes, I still think it was a poor hire that did nothing to invigorate the fan base, recruits, etc but at the same time I told people that the Gophers needed to do something different. This is different (albeit maybe stupid) so who am I to complain? Maybe this is exactly what was needed. Anyway--I hope you all accept my apology. I was pretty harsh early on and stand by what I said but it isn't fun when people do that on here so I'm sorry.

GEDJ!!!

Well, the time has come for me to apologize for my negativity regarding the Ben Johnson hire. Yes, I still think it was a poor hire that did nothing to invigorate the fan base, recruits, etc but at the same time I told people that the Gophers needed to do something different. This is different (albeit maybe stupid) so who am I to complain? Maybe this is exactly what was needed. Anyway--I hope you all accept my apology. I was pretty harsh early on and stand by what I said but it isn't fun when people do that on here so I'm sorry.

GEDJ!!!
Nice job, UPAndUnder. You don't often see apologies on internet message boards, where there is literally no consequence even if one behaves like an utter douche, so this was like a breath of fresh air.

I'll apologize for being critical once I see success. I don't think there is anything wrong with being critical of the hire. Ben's a good dude and I liked him as an assistant but he doesn't have much of a resume for a job at this level. Nothing wrong with pointing that out and nothing wrong with disagreeing.

I'll apologize for being critical once I see success. I don't think there is anything wrong with being critical of the hire. Ben's a good dude and I liked him as an assistant but he doesn't have much of a resume for a job at this level. Nothing wrong with pointing that out and nothing wrong with disagreeing.
Agreed. It was the way I went about it that I’m apologizing for. I still think it was a bad hire

GEDJ!!!

Not accepted

Kinda like I'm sorry that you are feeling hurt. Putting the blame on someone else completely while being able to take no responsibility. Its a learned manipulative move. Well done.

I thought this apology was going to come with a Chet commitment. :(
Hear he was going to do his commitment announcement from the bow of a boat at Big Island this summer. LFG!

I don't see an apology being necessary. As fans and supporters of this program we have every right to be objective. I agreed with all of your posts. Some people these days just can't accept others opinions and wine and groan when you don't agree with them. Call you names and stupid. They are the immature ones. Hopefully, Johnson does work out though!

It's like....

your neighbor is building a new house. they're just starting to put up the frame, and you walk over and say "boy, that's going to look like sh*t." Now, maybe it will and maybe it won't, but you're commenting on something that isn't finished yet.

In general, I think you're better off waiting to pass judgement until the project is finished. then, if you still think it looks like sh*t, you can say so. And you will never be invited to another neighborhood cookout again......

I apologized for the amount of posts and derailing threads with negativity.
It takes a bigger man to apologize for his mistakes! Thank you.

i for one like the discussions without all the negativity and name calling to individuals. We can voice our opinion as much as we want about the subject!

I think we can all take a rest. What's done is done. At least until Utah is 8-0 and we're 0-8. :)

Nah, that won't happen. We'll have a Chicago State or a Central Connecticut or someone similar in stature in the early schedule. Maybe more than one of that type. Even Pitino started out 5-2 in his horrific 3rd season. Given that the team finished 8-23 that year, the opening record really puts in perspective how terrible the remainder of the season was.

Nah, that won't happen. We'll have a Chicago State or a Central Connecticut or someone similar in stature in the early schedule. Maybe more than one of that type. Even Pitino started out 5-2 in his horrific 3rd season. Given that the team finished 8-23 that year, the opening record really puts in perspective how terrible the remainder of the season was.
Sure. I meant in conference.

I like how critical people can be of the hire but not also factor in the state of despair this program is in. They have not won the conference (officially) since 1982. Without counting the years vacated by the academic fraud scandal, the Gophers have finished with a conference record at or above .500 10 times in 32 years (Only 4 times if you look at finishing over .500). Since 2000, they have won 2 total NCAA tournament games and lost the subsequent games by 14 and 20 points. That, coupled with the below average facility that is Williams Arena and an average at best budget, this is not a desirable job.

There's no indication Dutcher or Smith's style translates to a power 5 conference any better than Johnson's will. In the combined 4 NCAA tournament appearances, they have lost 3 by double digits despite being a higher seed in 2 of those games. Granted, they would have access to more recruiting talent but that obviously only works out if they actually land the talent, which has been a problem for decades now at the U. Time will obviously tell whether this was a right decision or not, but the hire was right in line with the current state of the program.

You wait for Robbins to jump ship and then you say you overacted. BJ is the worst hire in history.

Top Bottom