Amir Coffey getting more PT

That announcer kept calling him "the brewmaster." Not sure about that one.

On another note, his shot is looking cleaner than I remember in college.
If he is at a point where they are trying to give him a nickname that can only be viewed as a positive. You don't give nicknames to guys who aren't likely to be around for long. :)

As much as I am stoked about Jaylen Nowell's development on the Wolves, I can't help but think if Amir Coffey would be a better fit on this team because we sorely lack two-way players, including Nowell who is a negative on the defensive end, and it sounds like Coffey is brining a lot to the table on both ends of the floor... Would be nice to have for a team that only has one perimeter player who can play both ways, and that player is 33-year-old Patrick Beverley.

As much as I am stoked about Jaylen Nowell's development on the Wolves, I can't help but think if Amir Coffey would be a better fit on this team because we sorely lack two-way players, including Nowell who is a negative on the defensive end, and it sounds like Coffey is brining a lot to the table on both ends of the floor... Would be nice to have for a team that only has one perimeter player who can play both ways, and that player is 33-year-old Patrick Beverley.

What about Jaden McDaniels?

Going to the Clippers may have been the worse situation for playing time, but the best situation for development. Someone will pay him this offseason

Clippers just acquired Robert Covington and Norman Powell, could take Amir's minutes

Per internet, Amir has played in 50 games this year and boxscore shows him playing tonight. Can't find anything on his two way contract being converted.

Per internet, Amir has played in 50 games this year and boxscore shows him playing tonight. Can't find anything on his two way contract being converted.
Yeah, I don't know much of anything about NBA contract rules. But I found an interesting (if not a little old) article from Jan 7, that talks about his contract.

"After his third season on a two-way deal, Amir Coffey will be ineligible for another year on a two-way, and will be an unrestricted free agent. Considering his play this year, it seems likely that at least one NBA team will sign Coffey to a regular NBA contract. Whether that team (or one of those teams) is the Clippers remains to be seen, but considering that Coffey is a good fit, a known positive locker room presence and chemistry guy, is still young, and will probably be fairly affordable, it makes all the sense in the world for the Clippers to re-sign him. Of course, if Amir can get a larger deal from a team, he should probably take it – he’s probably not the kind of player who will ever secure a truly major contract, so anything above the minimum is a win. Hopefully, however, he’s back in a Clippers uniform next season and for years to come."

Yeah, I don't know much of anything about NBA contract rules. But I found an interesting (if not a little old) article from Jan 7, that talks about his contract.

"After his third season on a two-way deal, Amir Coffey will be ineligible for another year on a two-way, and will be an unrestricted free agent. Considering his play this year, it seems likely that at least one NBA team will sign Coffey to a regular NBA contract. Whether that team (or one of those teams) is the Clippers remains to be seen, but considering that Coffey is a good fit, a known positive locker room presence and chemistry guy, is still young, and will probably be fairly affordable, it makes all the sense in the world for the Clippers to re-sign him. Of course, if Amir can get a larger deal from a team, he should probably take it – he’s probably not the kind of player who will ever secure a truly major contract, so anything above the minimum is a win. Hopefully, however, he’s back in a Clippers uniform next season and for years to come."
Interesting as the clippers are way over the cap. If I was a betting man some other team will over more. It will be fun to follow

Interesting as the clippers are way over the cap. If I was a betting man some other team will over more. It will be fun to follow
Yeah, hopefully he has caught the eye of some teams with his play this season. He won't get a massive contract but would think he has proven enough that someone will sign him if he doesn't end up back with the clippers.

The NBA dropped their 50 game maximum restriction for two way players when everyone was getting omicron.

The league minimum this year for inquiring minds. Does anyone know if time on a two-way contract counts as years of experience? I assume so, but I don’t know for sure.

Years of ExperienceSalary
0$925,258
1$1,489,065
2$1,669,178
3$1,729,217
4$1,789,256
5$1,939,350
6$2,089,448
7$2,239,544
8$2,389,641
9$2,401,537
10+$2,641,691

Clippers fell to 76ers on Friday, but Coffey leads team in scoring 9-15 for 21 points (3-6 from deep). Go, Amir!

A few of his highlights are 3rd quarter including good defense on Harden:

Ben Johnson, Richard Pitino, University of Minnesota recruit, Amir Coffey snags $11 million with the Clippers for three years.
Minnesota HS star Tyus Jones returns to Memphis for two years $30 million.
Danuel House signed with the 76ers...oh wait wrong Daniel :)
In other NBA news Durant and Kyrie are still unhappy. That might not be news.

A great reminder that just because a player doesn't have all the skills that some would like him to have or they need to currently succeed at whatever level they happen to be, doesn't mean they can't work at it and improve to the point they can start reaching their potential.

Every time I see somebody dismissing a high school recruit or young college player because they aren't great at this or that particular skill at this point in time, I want to ask that person; "So you don't think it's possible to work, practice and develop their way to eventually becoming a better player?". It happens all the time at every level of sports, but it sometimes seems like some fans believe that if a guy can't do it as a first or second year player, he'll never be able to do it.

Certainly don't mean to call out anybody specifically, because we've all probably been guilty of this once or twice, but for those who seem to always have the quick, negative first takes on players, I would remind you that's why we have coaches, practice, film sessions drills and work-outs.

I thought he might get more, but I called it in this thread that he'd get paid.

I'm glad it's a three year deal. If he improves a little more, he should get a deal closer to Tyus Jones next time.

Top Bottom