Amelia Rayno blog: Tubby looking for more toughness; says new arena is in order

Sorry. The question needs to be asked 30 years ago and asked like this:

People, would you rather renovate Memorial Stadium or play football in a craphole for the next 30 years, but then have a really cool stadium back on campus in 2010.

It's my question, I think I'll ask it how and when I like.:rolleyes:

If you decided to get rid of the Barn, the new arena doesn't HAVE to be a 'craphole'.

I'm not so sure.

There was more history in Jennison Field House, but the Spartans moved out. Do you think MSU considers that a mistake?

There was more history in St. John's Arena. Do you think OSU considers it a mistake to move from there?

Wisconsin's unexplained success in basketball almost exactly coincides with the end of the old Wisconsin Field House.

There are ways to preserve history and ensure the building will be quaint and charming.

Unless you're a namebrand like Duke, I'm not sure an 85-year old building allows you the necessary things needed to sustain a contender.
Perhaps by not tearing it down?

BTW, did the old hoops end up somewhere besides the trash?

When I think of a crappy new era arena, I lump Ohio State's in with Kohl Center. Valu City Arena (or whatever it is called now) is just as big and soulless as Kohl. The only thing making it seem more exciting is the fact they have a top team and exciting basketball. And then having students on the sidelines does absolutely nothing for me. You dont even notice them at all.

Williams does need a renovation, but all that is actually needed is new scoreboard, new sound system, new roof I hear, and then expand the concourses and the bathrooms. That is all that is really needed. Seating wise, keep it the same.

The Illinois game was the first game I have been to in about four years. While going to St. Cloud State, I just haven't had the funds to run down to the games and watch, but watch every game on tv. With that being said, I really liked the uniqueness of the arena. We couldn't have sat any higher and the seats weren't even bad. That isn't the issue. I thought the sketchy walk up there and the concourse were the ugly parts. How about the student section? I knew they were thrown on the one end, but come on.... Give them some better seats! After watching the MSU game and then going to the Illinois game, I can see how much more of an impact the MSU students had on that game. Why can't they reassign where they sit? I figure it's due to season ticket holders, but man, what a game changer/home court advantage difference it would make!

It can't last forever. I still say, if they can rebuild Yankee stadium and make it feel like you never left, they can do it for the Barn.

It can't last forever. If they can rebuild Yankee stadium and make it feel like you never left, they can do it for the Barn.

These are my thoughts too. People talk about expanding the concourses and bathrooms, but where do they expand to? You can't just make up space. You can build a throwback stadium with most of the charm the barn has mixed in with modern amenities and improved sight lines. It's not going to happen this decade in my opinion, but it's going to come soon after that.

gen-03.jpg

These are my thoughts too. People talk about expanding the concourses and bathrooms, but where do they expand to? You can't just make up space. You can build a throwback stadium with most of the charm the barn has mixed in with modern amenities and improved sight lines. It's not going to happen this decade in my opinion, but it's going to come soon after that.

It's my understanding that they wouldn't be able to make it with improved sight-lines. Personally, I think the sight-lines are top-notch, and probably helped by the lack of a fire-code in the '20's. The sight-lines in most modern basketball arenas that I've been to (granted, they're mostly of the NBA variety) pale in comparison to the barn's steep stylings. Like I said, I'm a huge Barn guy. If they get rid of it, it'll take me a long time to catch a game at the new place, if ever. Renovate, don't replace.

gen-03.jpg

This is a good example. Also, I'm no architect, but at some point, the line between renovate and replace can become blurred. The Packers technically 'renovated' Lambeau Field, but it might as well be a new stadium. Perhaps there is a 'renovation' out there that can do this too, but at some point it becomes a technicality. In any case, I don't think the Barn is going to last another 20-30 years with a simple $10-20 million face lift.

This is a good example. Also, I'm no architect, but at some point, the line between renovate and replace can become blurred. The Packers technically 'renovated' Lambeau Field, but it might as well be a new stadium. Perhaps there is a 'renovation' out there that can do this too, but at some point it becomes a technicality. In any case, I don't think the Barn is going to last another 20-30 years with a simple $10-20 million face lift.

If I recall the history, and dates and dollars are a bit fuzzy, when they did the last renovation about '94 they said it would take them for 25 years. That would be 2019. I think the cost was in the $10 Mil range than, maybe more, but it did beg the question of what would happen when that face lift expired. You are right about the blur between rebuild and renovate and a lot of construction people encourage demolish and rebuild, but others will tell you that if you can save the roof and some outside walls, you can save money. I also think the project would be a lot more than simply adding to the corridors and bathrooms. Recent building projects prove that modern construction can nicely replicate older buildings. That's hopeful. Conseco Fieldhouse is a nice example.

It's not too early to think about what will be or could be next for venues. I am with others who say the practice facility is more important.

If I recall the history, and dates and dollars are a bit fuzzy, when they did the last renovation about '94 they said it would take them for 25 years. That would be 2019. I think the cost was in the $10 Mil range than, maybe more, but it did beg the question of what would happen when that face lift expired. You are right about the blur between rebuild and renovate and a lot of construction people encourage demolish and rebuild, but others will tell you that if you can save the roof and some outside walls, you can save money. I also think the project would be a lot more than simply adding to the corridors and bathrooms. Recent building projects prove that modern construction can nicely replicate older buildings. That's hopeful. Conseco Fieldhouse is a nice example.

It's not too early to think about what will be or could be next for venues. I am with others who say the practice facility is more important.
10 million in 1994 is not 10 million in 2012.

Unfourtunately the Gophs have an A.D. with the vision of a hamster. I was a season ticket holder for ten years until Mr. Maturi rolled out the cash grab reseating of Williams arena this year, which was my final straw with this guy. The main reason that I was a season ticket holder for many years certainly was not to watch Dan Monsons pathetic brand of basketball. It was very much because I love the Barn, which is a common connection that many people posting here have with the team.
If the U had an A.D. with an ounce of sense, he would realize that a practice facility desperately needs to be addressed and duh.....Save your money when considering an arena. There is one there that the fan base loves. Don't believe it Joel, just ask most fans and alum.

gen-03.jpg
Those guys look like ants down there! And where's the raised floor?

I dont get using the Missouri arena as an example? It looks just like a regular arena. The thing I love about the Barn is that the upper deck over hangs as much as it does. I would never want a new arena to have lower deck, then suites, then upper deck all behind that.

That's part of the issue with Williams, though.

People on the board want everyone to stand. But if everyone stands, the people in the last 3-4 rows along the side lines have their view blocked by the overhang. My seats are in row 24 (first row of benches) and I frequently get yelled at if I stand too long. Not because the people behind me don't *want* to stand, but because if they do they can't see.

I also once got yelled at for standing during warmups. That didn't end well.

I dont get using the Missouri arena as an example? It looks just like a regular arena. The thing I love about the Barn is that the upper deck over hangs as much as it does. I would never want a new arena to have lower deck, then suites, then upper deck all behind that.

Where are your seats?

The thing I love about the Barn is that the upper deck over hangs as much as it does.

Then look no further than the new USC arena - the Galen Center. It is a fantastic new facility. Any new Gopher arena should look something like this on the inside (overhanging 2nd deck), and then create a barn look on the outside. The end zone glass has a great look, too.

Williams Arena underwent a major renovation in 1992-93.

It was also renovated (Barnlofts added, among other things) in 1997.

Again, it had major work done (mostly to locker rooms and team lounge, training area) in 2005.

And, a new floor was put in for nearly $1 million in 2009.

And, yet, it is sorely lacking behind every other facility in the Big Ten when it comes to player and fan amenities.

Then look no further than the new USC arena - the Galen Center. It is a fantastic new facility. Any new Gopher arena should look something like this on the inside (overhanging 2nd deck), and then create a barn look on the outside. The end zone glass has a great look, too.

good start-- only seats 10,258 though so would have to be tweaked. Having the whole facility under one roof would be nice though. I would think this could be done easily enough with the pavilion space and the parking lot right there. Narrow but doable.

Top Bottom