Amelia blog: Tubby Smith: Decision on Wally Ellenson redshirt coming soon

Problem is the minutes start to dry up for that second unit as the Big Ten Season starts. I think we will see a rotation closer to what we saw in the Bahamas for the Big Ten Season with Andre, Rodney, Austin & Joe C. all going for 28 plus per game and a solid rotation up front with EE, Mbakwe, Ingram & Mo. With Welch & Mav rotating at 1 & 2 and Ingram & Oto at 3/4 and Rodney playing 3/4, where are the minutes for this kid?

Why burn his redshirt to play 4 mins per game? Just doesn't make sense. Regarding scholarship distribution...are you kidding. With as many kids as we have had leave the program...what are the chances we see no early defections? Having 4 Fr next year not a problem...save the remaining scholly for 2014 (Best MN class ever) unless a STUD PF is available in the spring signing period (unlikely).

If Wally hadn't broke his hand and had been playing all season...then it is a different story...but he just wont get the playing time to make an impact going forward...IMO.

Why burn his redshirt??? Because opportunities to be GREAT don't come along too often at programs like Minnesota. Anything Tubby can do to enhance our chances of going to the Final Four or winning the Big Ten should be tried. I think it's pretty clear that he could see more than 4 minutes per game....I think he could play 15 minutes and be the kind of player who scores 7 quick points off the bench, whereas Oto is just a clang or careless and awkward turnover waiting to happen.

Problem is the minutes start to dry up for that second unit as the Big Ten Season starts. I think we will see a rotation closer to what we saw in the Bahamas for the Big Ten Season with Andre, Rodney, Austin & Joe C. all going for 28 plus per game and a solid rotation up front with EE, Mbakwe, Ingram & Mo. With Welch & Mav rotating at 1 & 2 and Ingram & Oto at 3/4 and Rodney playing 3/4, where are the minutes for this kid?

Why burn his redshirt to play 4 mins per game? Just doesn't make sense. Regarding scholarship distribution...are you kidding. With as many kids as we have had leave the program...what are the chances we see no early defections? Having 4 Fr next year not a problem...save the remaining scholly for 2014 (Best MN class ever) unless a STUD PF is available in the spring signing period (unlikely).

If Wally hadn't broke his hand and had been playing all season...then it is a different story...but he just wont get the playing time to make an impact going forward...IMO.

Andre Hollins didn't get big minutes until halfway through the B1G season last year and he played all off the non conference schedule, I doubt Ellenson would even get 4 minutes a game in the B1G, you don't play an inexperienced player in B1G games especially for defensive reasons.

If Tubby plans to tighten the rotation (hopefully he will) and doesn't see any minutes for Wally, then by all means redshirt him. If he can legitimately contribute, let him play. There will be positives and negatives from either outcome, so I won't get too worked up about it either way.

Why burn his redshirt??? Because opportunities to be GREAT don't come along too often at programs like Minnesota. Anything Tubby can do to enhance our chances of going to the Final Four or winning the Big Ten should be tried. I think it's pretty clear that he could see more than 4 minutes per game....I think he could play 15 minutes and be the kind of player who scores 7 quick points off the bench, whereas Oto is just a clang or careless and awkward turnover waiting to happen.
All due respect Moses, a few posts back you had never even seen a video of him and now you're declaring he'd get 15 minutes........

All due respect Moses, a few posts back you had never even seen a video of him and now you're declaring he'd get 15 minutes........

Haha, I noticed this as well. Amazing what highlights of a player can do to set expectations.

Haha, I noticed this as well. Amazing what highlights of a player can do to set expectations.

I've just seen of enough to know that it doesn't take much to be better than Oto. I'm sold on Ellenson helping us before Oto ever will.

I've just seen of enough to know that it doesn't take much to be better than Oto. I'm sold on Ellenson helping us before Oto ever will.

Couldn't agree more, Oto should never see the floor. If Ellenson is in line to take his minutes, you do it.

Well looks like we have an answer. Surprising move burning the redshirt. Hopefully it is for the best.

Top Bottom