Amelia blog: A surprising look at the Gophers' minute distribution in context

I don't think anyone says the starters play too few minutes.

The issue is when the starters are sitting, they all sit together!

I don't think anyone says the starters play too few minutes.

The issue is when the starters are sitting, they all sit together!
Exactly, and whatever rhythm they may have had is lost, and the B squad doesn't generally have a rhythm.

per Amelia:

First off, when comparing with Michigan State, Illinois, Iowa, Ohio State and Indiana, Minnesota starters actually have the most minutes (and the largest percentage of minutes) of any of those teams during their Big Ten slates.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/192547431.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

I believe our record improved dramtatically (statistically) this year when all our starters log 30 minutes or more. Thats the stat I care about.. its not apples to apples to compare to other teams if our bench is weaker. Starters will end up working harder for less in that case if they play more minutes. Bottom line, we need the starters on the floor more. Tubby has improved the hockey line subs as he has been blending the subs more, keeping at least one starter or two starters on the floor. Thats good, but it should be at least three starters on the floor at all times if possible..which has not always been the case.

I believe our record improved dramtatically (statistically) this year when all our starters log 30 minutes or more. Thats the stat I care about.. its not apples to apples to compare to other teams if our bench is weaker. Starters will end up working harder for less in that case if they play more minutes. Bottom line, we need the starters on the floor more. Tubby has improved the hockey line subs as he has been blending the subs more, keeping at least one starter or two starters on the floor. Thats good, but it should be at least three starters on the floor at all times if possible..which has not always been the case.

Give a guy like Dre three or four two minute rests and he should be good to go. I hate it when he is out of the game 5 -6 minutes at a time. Same with Austin.

Just a few quick comments...

- The Gophers' bench players generally get itty bitty spot minutes. They've got a lot of guys who play, but don't see many minutes. I'm not sure how much that helps development.. at the end of the year you've got a lot of guys who have gotten a small taste...

- Other teams have a legit "sixth man" (and sometimes seventh+) off the bench that is an integral part of the team. (i.e., Sheehey averaging 22+ mpg for I4; Payne & Valentine have both come off the bench for MSU often and they each average 20+ mpg, etc...) At the end of the year you've got some guys who are ready to step up into a starting role if needed the following year (i.e., Sheehey next season)

- When you're a team that spanks your opponents, you can empty out your bench. Looking at bench minutes team vs. team is quickly skewed if you're comparing a team that has spanked its opponents numerous times to another team that hasn't.

This type of high-level look can become apples & oranges quickly.

Why do I continue to read comments below internet newspaper columns:

"One thing that I find disturbing is the Gophers have trouble, most of the time, getting 60 points in a game. With the 3 point shot and shot clock scores should really be in the high 70's to low 80's."

Top Bottom