Amazing NCAA stats for Gophers

Some other stats I compiled ignoring the 4th quarter of each game, since the games have all been garbage time 4th quarters:

In the first 3 quarters of the 4 games (12 quarters total)
  • Outscored Opponents 156 - 3; Q4 27 - 21
  • First downs given up in Q1 - Q3 = 25; Q4 first downs = 17
  • Total Yards given up in Q1-Q3 = 409, Q4 Total yards = 342
Our first team defense has been absolutely smothering. I know the opposition hasn't been good, but after losing to Bowling Green and Illinois last year, I won't apologize for crushing inferior competition. Absolute domination!

We are #1 in the Nation in third down conversion percentage and 3rd down conversion defense percentage. That alone tells the story of our dominance. Teams can't get our offense off the field and they can't stay on the field against our D.

41 for 52 (79%) on third down through 4 games. That is an absolutely insane conversion rate on 3rd down.

6 for 42 (14%) opponent 3rd down conversions.

Those numbers are simply off the charts.

Gophers are on the right track with the players buying in to his way of doing things.

Some other stats I compiled ignoring the 4th quarter of each game, since the games have all been garbage time 4th quarters:

In the first 3 quarters of the 4 games (12 quarters total)
  • Outscored Opponents 156 - 3; Q4 27 - 21
  • First downs given up in Q1 - Q3 = 25; Q4 first downs = 17
  • Total Yards given up in Q1-Q3 = 409, Q4 Total yards = 342
Our first team defense has been absolutely smothering. I know the opposition hasn't been good, but after losing to Bowling Green and Illinois last year, I won't apologize for crushing inferior competition. Absolute domination!
I was going to do this myself, so, thanks for putting this together. Just an amazing first 4 games. If I was going to pick nits, this leads to my only slight concern for the future regarding the defense. The second team D has not looked good against other teams second string offense.

I was going to do this myself, so, thanks for putting this together. Just an amazing first 4 games. If I was going to pick nits, this leads to my only slight concern for the future regarding the defense. The second team D has not looked good against other teams second string offense.
I have been a little surprised at this as well. With the caliber of our young athletes I don't expect too much drop off. But two things need to be noted:

1) These are not just No. 2s, some 3s are getting experience.

2) In the real world you work in one or two backups as needed. They then work within the real defense. Nobody subs the whole unit at once.

So I still have full faith in our young talent.

I have been a little surprised at this as well. With the caliber of our young athletes I don't expect too much drop off. But two things need to be noted:

1) These are not just No. 2s, some 3s are getting experience.

2) In the real world you work in one or two backups as needed. They then work within the real defense. Nobody subs the whole unit at once.

So I still have full faith in our young talent.
But, these guys are getting game experience. In the past, they don't see the field. Their growth will be on a greater accelerated pace and team morale will never be better with tons of guys playing. It's exciting!

But, these guys are getting game experience. In the past, they don't see the field. Their growth will be on a greater accelerated pace and team morale will never be better with tons of guys playing. It's exciting!
Brew never understood that, and it showed what a horrid coach he was, by not giving Grey the 4Q of blowout wins to develop, especially after losing a year in HS to injury, and letting Weber play the full game - ALWAYS

Nobody thought our D would be this good this year after last year's loses - you have to build depth via game reps - practice reps are great to learn assignments, but don't replicate game speed -

so -

1664182514084.png

We are #1 in the Nation in third down conversion percentage and 3rd down conversion defense percentage. That alone tells the story of our dominance. Teams can't get our offense off the field and they can't stay on the field against our D.

41 for 52 (79%) on third down through 4 games. That is an absolutely insane conversion rate on 3rd down.

6 for 42 (14%) opponent 3rd down conversions.

Those numbers are simply off the charts.
Dare I say Elite!

Nobody thought our D would be this good this year after last year's loses - you have to build depth via game reps - practice reps are great to learn assignments, but don't replicate game speed -

so -

View attachment 20734
Fleck seemed to be the only one not worried about the losses of players from last year. He is confident in what he has recruited and how they are developing.

Fleck seemed to be the only one not worried about the losses of players from last year. He is confident in what he has recruited and how they are developing.
Depth is fun, new and amazing to witness

I for one am pretty worried about our ability to recruit great young punters going forward. If they're not getting game time reps here, they are going to choose Iowa every time! <nervous>
Could you really blame them though....if I was an elite punter I would want to go to Iowa as well knowing I was going to get lots and lots and lots of opportunities. Their punter had as many punts in the first half against Rutgers as Crawford has had in 4 games for us.

Remember how bad Nubin, Lindenberg, and Sori-Marin looked early on in 2020? How are we feeling about them now?

Top Bottom