Am I Wrong - Tubby rotation

Maximus

Reaction score
Hoffarber hits four threes on four straight possessions...NIU coach calls time...the barn is rocking and Tubby yanks him and the other starters? Can't the line change wait a couple of minutes?

I think...

I think they were way past the usual 15 minute timeout when Hoff came off.

Hoffarber hits four threes on four straight possessions...NIU coach calls time...the barn is rocking and Tubby yanks him and the other starters? Can't the line change wait a couple of minutes?

If Tubby does this against a Big Ten team, I would say WTF? Against NIU, I say play the reserves so they can get some quality minutes.

How about we forgo this whole line change nonsense and work on an actual rotation for once? How about guys learn to play with multiple combinations instead of just their "team"?

This is the thing that really gets me about Tubby. It seems pretty clear that we have 8 "main" guys if the two suspenders never come back. You have your starting five, then 3 main reserves in Iverson, Carter, and Joseph. Bostick, Williams, and Cobbs then get minutes here and there and when most necessary. Are we really going to play two separate teams once BT play starts? I know it's not likely, but we never really had a settled rotation last year either, so I don't think this is just temporarily working out the kinks.

Are we really going to pull all the starters and a guy who has made four 3's in 4 minutes just to put in the next group?

I trust it will work out eventually, but we haven't had a rotation for two years, so I don't know.

Disclaimer: I love Tubby. I am thrilled he is our coach. But there are things I like to question on a message board. This is one.

How about we forgo this whole line change nonsense and work on an actual rotation for once? How about guys learn to play with multiple combinations instead of just their "team"?

This is the thing that really gets me about Tubby. It seems pretty clear that we have 8 "main" guys if the two suspenders never come back. You have your starting five, then 3 main reserves in Iverson, Carter, and Joseph. Bostick, Williams, and Cobbs then get minutes here and there and when most necessary. Are we really going to play two separate teams once BT play starts? I know it's not likely, but we never really had a settled rotation last year either, so I don't think this is just temporarily working out the kinks.

Are we really going to pull all the starters and a guy who has made four 3's in 4 minutes just to put in the next group?

I trust it will work out eventually, but we haven't had a rotation for two years, so I don't know.

Disclaimer: I love Tubby. I am thrilled he is our coach. But there are things I like to question on a message board. This is one.

Im pretty sure we used two different groups of 5 last year as well.. It sometimes included minor switches to accommodate foul trouble or hot shooting, but i would be willing to bet it continues.

Not sure it's so much a question of being wrong or being right. I agree, I would have liked to have Blake stay in a little longer at that point, but that's more of a minor quibble than anything else. But Tubby really emphasizes wearing people out with depth and getting lots of guys lots of minutes, which I am also okay with if you have the players to do it. I agree with other folks that we have about nine guys that we can count on to come in and not lose too much. That's the benefit of having a deep bench, which we have. At the same time, there are times where it kind of seems to fly in the face of logic when you have one guy that is really lighting it up.

Guys it's an NIU, more or less, exhibition game. I think he's probably just trying to feel out how players respond consistently in a game situation and getting the most work out of each of his players. Obviously he probably won't yank hot shooters in B10 play, but he felt like he wanted to see what his bench could do in that game.

Have any "Championship" quality teams used this line change approach? Even in 1998s NC year, it seems it was Scot Padgett out there all the time hitting the big shot. My fear is that in the close BT games this team will need to win this year there is no go to guy at the end of the games. Even worse, b/c of the lack of continuity there is no go to offense. When there are no go to guys or offense, how can they expect to make big baskets down the stretch in games, especially on the road? It can't just be Westbrook making stuff up off the dribble. That won't get it done in this years big ten.

Top Bottom