Am I Wrong? - Ticket Prices Crazy?

DoTheGopher

Reaction score
Minimum prices for Colorado and Purdue at $70!? Thats just silly.

Their home schedule sucks this year in general, but this just seems out of whack with reality. I get that they have to try and make some money and these are the the more desirable games besides Iowa…. But wouldn’t they be better served trying to fill the stadium instead of gouge people, especially for the non-conference matchup???

…..Change my mind.

Their home schedule sucks this year in general, but this just seems out of whack with reality. I get that they have to try and make some money and these are the the more desirable games besides Iowa…. But wouldn’t they be better served trying to fill the stadium instead of gouge people, especially for the non-conference matchup???

…..Change my mind.
Can't speak to the ticket prices specifically for these games but in general, filling the stadium is not a massive priority for pro or college teams these days. If it was you wouldn't see the insane ticket and concessions costs that are out there which make it very difficult for a lot of people to afford to go to a game.

…..Change my mind.
Buy the Gopher Pass if they're still available. Works out to under $30 a game.

I can't speak of single game tickets but I am a season ticket holder for the past 15-20 years and I attend most games. I probably miss 1-2 games depending on family/kid events. It used to be that if I couldn't go to a game I would just give them away. It has switched the last 2-3 years where if I can't go to the game I am now looking to make money on them. Last year I got $80 for my two Miami of Ohio tickets and I think I got $125 for both of my tickets for the Illinois game.

The demand has definitely increased in the last couple of years.

…..Change my mind.

$70 really isn't too bad for the Colorado game for a single ticket. We paid $135/person last year in Boulder to sit on the lower level inside the 30s - and that was with a group discount for buying a block of 18 tickets together.

They're obviously trying to get people bought into season tickets and the Gopher Pass. As another poster mentioned, you've mentioned two of the premium games on the home schedule this year. Regardless, from flying back for Gopher home games and going to various road games the past few years, I've come to expect that I'm gonna pay $80-140 a ticket.

Buy the Gopher Pass if they're still available. Works out to under $30 a game.
That’s actually what I did! The Gopher Pass is a great deal…

I just dont really think they should be charging $70+ for the very back row. I get It’s a buisiness, but you shouldn’t have to break the bank to take your kid to a game in the “cheap seats” for non-rivalry games.

That’s actually what I did! The Gopher Pass is a great deal…

I just dont really think they should be charging $70+ for the very back row. I get It’s a buisiness, but you shouldn’t have to break the bank to take your kid to a game in the “cheap seats” for non-rivalry games.
In reality on the secondary market you can probably go to a lot of these games for under face value. I do agree that the prices, especially for the high upper deck, are too high. That's why I did the Gopher Pass. Even if I miss a week I won't feel too bad about it.

$70 is too much for nosebleeds. However....this far in advance? I guess I don't see the issue. They'd probably prefer to see the tickets at a price where the purchaser is highly likely to either go....or give the tickets to someone else. Sell the tickets too cheaply....and it's more likely that someone who runs into conflicts or just decides not to go washes their hands of the cost.

$70 is too much for nosebleeds. However....this far in advance? I guess I don't see the issue. They'd probably prefer to see the tickets at a price where the purchaser is highly likely to either go....or give the tickets to someone else. Sell the tickets too cheaply....and it's more likely that someone who runs into conflicts or just decides not to go washes their hands of the cost.
Cheap tickets also set a perceived value.

Bad baseball teams have found time and again that dumping tickets too cheaply as the standard price means many fans will refuse to pay more later.

Granted that doesn’t mean you can’t have sales and so on… in fact maybe that’s the plan.

There were a lot of week of the game type sales last year IIRC.

There really aren't any nosebleeds at the Bank.

That's true. The only bad seats are the ones behind those damn standing kids. SIT DOWN AND STOP CHEERING!

Cheap tickets also set a perceived value.

Bad baseball teams have found time and again that dumping tickets too cheaply as the standard price means many fans will refuse to pay more later.

Granted that doesn’t mean you can’t have sales and so on… in fact maybe that’s the plan.

There were a lot of week of the game type sales last year IIRC.

Good point. I'd guess that they have some sort of dynamic pricing. The closer we get to the date of the game....the lower the ticket prices will fall in order to sell out.

the value of something is determined by what people are willing to pay for it.

I picked up a ticket to see Springsteen in March at the X. $275 ticket price, but after Ticketmaster got done with its add-ons, it came to $317. Hey, it's probably the last time I'll ever see the Boss in concert, so what the hell.

In reality on the secondary market you can probably go to a lot of these games for under face value. I do agree that the prices, especially for the high upper deck, are too high. That's why I did the Gopher Pass. Even if I miss a week I won't feel too bad about it.

This is a good point. I doubt the Colorado game will sell out, so you could def buy off the street outside the stadium for cheaper or watch prices on a secondary site.

You gonna make a trip out this fall?

The return of Gerald R. Kill to (insert name) stadium is tempting…almost too much drama to pass up. Jerry is an emotional guy. He’ll want to have a good showing. Fleck is emotional, but constipated on game day. Plenty of drama just seeing if Mitch or Barker show up.

Jerry might predict Fleck will refuse to pass until the game is in acute danger of catastrophe. Can NMSU make it remotely competitive? Will Jerry throw all caution to the wind. No idea. They’ve been terrible. Maybe too terrible to pull an upset bid. They do have a 6’4” WR named “Justice Powers” and a ”dual threat” transfer QB that potentially isn’t terrible (but probably is). I wonder if Jerry will broadcast from the hotel since he won’t be on campus. Plenty of anticipation and intrigue from me…

Tix only $33, OP. Colorado game, IMO has much less entertainment value.

I’ll see you all in Indy, if nothing else.

the value of something is determined by what people are willing to pay for it.

I picked up a ticket to see Springsteen in March at the X. $275 ticket price, but after Ticketmaster got done with its add-ons, it came to $317. Hey, it's probably the last time I'll ever see the Boss in concert, so what the hell.
That’s about what I paid for two tickets to his Denver concert. Of course, it’s upper level and practically even with the stage. The cost of really good seats is ridiculous, like $4K+.

Soccer season tickets are $45 for anyone priced out of football…

I agree that they are too expensive. I got my New Mexico State and Western Illinois tickets today and will do the others via secondary market 24-48 hours before game. Iowa is the only premium home game this year that justifies 100 plus per ticket (even that's pushing it for an upper deck bench seat)

Secondary market not any cheaper.
Great for the school the demand is up based on recent results.

But Bringing the family just got much more expensive, especially when traveling from outstate.

Wasn’t all that long ago Miami Oh tix were $10 for nosebleeds and you could move almost wherever you want.

We’ve come a long way to relevancy.

Top Bottom