all time Gopher team

1gophergnu

Reaction score
Lets talk about something other than the Penn State scandal for a while. Who do you think the best players at each position in Gopher History would be. Bobby Bell and Carl Eller on the defensive line would be a good place to start.

Sandy Stephens, Darrell Thompson, Bronko Nagurski...

I think it's probably Giel over Stephens because he played on a poorer team and finished 2nd in the Heisman voting (should have won).

Would backfield be Nagurski, Smith, and Thompson behind Giel?

Four different generations - pretty cool.

How about Tyrone Carter? Greg Eslinger? They certainly belong.

When it comes to the place kicker its a toss up.

Jim Gallery
Paul Rogind
Chip Lomiller

I am partial to Gail Gillingham, Noel Jenke making this team. At guard and linebacker

When it comes to the place kicker its a toss up.

Jim Gallery
Paul Rogind
Chip Lomiller

I am partial to Gail Gillingham, Noel Jenke making this team. At guard and linebacker

Rhys Lloyd

QB - Paul Giel, Heisman Runner Up

Giel was a little ahead of my time, but I read an article somewhere in which the writer had looked at all of the Heismans and rated Giel first on the list of people who had finished second who should have won. Wish I could have seen him play. I would think that Nagurski would have to be there (maybe at two positions) and Upchurch would be my kick returner. Tyrone Carter is there as a safety on my all-time team. Thats my start. Go Gophers!

denguegopher said:
Giel was a little ahead of my time, but I read an article somewhere in which the writer had looked at all of the Heismans and rated Giel first on the list of people who had finished second who should have won. Wish I could have seen him play. I would think that Nagurski would have to be there (maybe at two positions) and Upchurch would be my kick returner. Tyrone Carter is there as a safety on my all-time team. Thats my start. Go Gophers!

Somewhere on the U website there was a video of Giel giving it to Michigan. I sent it to my dad and he watched the whole thing. Someone here may have the link.

Giel played the effective QB as a halfback in the Wing T - was a good passer for his time, probably .500, though he hit 13 of 18 in an upset of Michigan in '53; he was not fast, yet one of the very best runners I've ever seen; did all the punting; played all the way oo defense, too, his senior year (because of limits on substitution). Grantland Rice wrote of Giel, "He goes down not only with the best in the Big Ten, like Red Grange and Tommy Harmon, but the best in any section in any era." Giel's loss of the Heisman was a big injustice, but we were 4-4-1 and Notre Dame was 9-0-1, so Lattner, who was a defensive back who did the punting for two years before playing both ways in '53, won.

This is from the ESPN College Football Encyclopedia, published in the mid-2000s:

OL: Ed Widseth (34-36)*
OL: Richard Wildung (40-42)*
OL: Clayton Tonnemaker (46-49)*
OL: Tom Brown (58-60)*
OL: Ben Hamilton (97-00)*
WR: Ron Johnson (98-01)
WR: Tutu Atwell (94-97)
TE: Doug Kingsriter (70-72)
QB: Sandy Stephens (59-61)*
RB: Bruce Smith (39-41)*
RB: Paul Giel (51-53)*
RB: Darrell Thompson (86-89)
K: Dan Nystrom (99-02)

DL: Bronko Nagurski (27-29)*
DL: Leo Nomellini (46-49)*
DL: Bobby Bell (60-62)*
DL: Carl Eller (61-63)*
LB: Robert Stein (66-68)
LB: William Light (69-71)
LB: Jim Fahnhorst (78-81)
DB: Jeff Wright (68-70)
DB: Sean Lumpkin (88-91)
DB: Tyrone Carter (96-99)
DB: Willie Middlebrooks (98-00)
P: Adam Kelly (84-85)

*Indicates consensus All-American

Since the list was published following the 2004 season, I'd add Decker to the WR list (in place of Atwell), potentially add Eslinger to the OL list (although all five currently were consensus AA), potentially add Maroney or Barber to the RB list (in place of Thompson).

Back to the kickers, and certainly Nystrom's boot at Penn State states his case. For those unfamilar with Paul Rogind you need to to read this.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1092956/index.htm

And for those questioning Jim Gallery, I submit his 12-10 effort in the win at Iowa. Four field goals, the final to win the game in 1981. Jim was stellar throughout his career with the Gophers.

This is from the ESPN College Football Encyclopedia, published in the mid-2000s:

Since the list was published following the 2004 season, I'd add Decker to the WR list (in place of Atwell), potentially add Eslinger to the OL list (although all five currently were consensus AA), potentially add Maroney or Barber to the RB list (in place of Thompson).

Where is Tom Brown nowadays? It's a shame he isn't more involved in this program. He had one of the best senior years in the history of college football. He received more hardware than any gopher ever?

Also I think the U should be looking at retiring Brown's number as well as Nomellini's. Thoughts?

Gopher07 said:

I like that list as it recognizes both Stevens and Giel. I too would probably add Decker. As much as I like Barber and Maroney I don't think they make first team.

Where is Tom Brown nowadays? It's a shame he isn't more involved in this program. He had one of the best senior years in the history of college football. He received more hardware than any gopher ever?

Also I think the U should be looking at retiring Brown's number as well as Nomellini's. Thoughts?

I think he lives in Vancouver, BC. If I remember correctly, he was at the banquet honoring the 1960 champs a couple of years ago. He was in a wheelchair, very disabled. Anyone else that was there recall--I'm pretty sure that was TB.

I would think Charlie Sanders at least has to be in the conversation.

I would put Aaron Brown at TE. He played half a game with a broken jaw and was a real great athlete. Charlie was better as a pro.
Rick Upchurch, Tom Brown, Bobby Bell, Giel, Decker, Nagurski, are a few I would put on my team.

A lot of these names are before my time. But I would have to add Decker and Eslinger. Not sure who to remove to put in Eslinger but Decker should replace Atwell.
That is a heckuva defensive line. I'm sure Stylze White just missed getting on that list.
For the old timers, would you put Mecklenberg on there somewhere? Not many great linebackers to choose from.

I would put Aaron Brown at TE. He played half a game with a broken jaw and was a real great athlete. Charlie was better as a pro.
Rick Upchurch, Tom Brown, Bobby Bell, Giel, Decker, Nagurski, are a few I would put on my team.
I completely forgot about Aaron Brown. Good choice.

husker70 said:
Back to the kickers, and certainly Nystrom's boot at Penn State states his case. For those unfamilar with Paul Rogind you need to to read this.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1092956/index.htm

And for those questioning Jim Gallery, I submit his 12-10 effort in the win at Iowa. Four field goals, the final to win the game in 1981. Jim was stellar throughout his career with the Gophers.

One kick does not put Nystrom over Lohmiller - I'll still take Lohmiller.

Top Bottom