All Things Women's Hockey - Rest of 2022 Season

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
Much like the men after the Alaska disaster, the women have really turned it on since losing to Minnesota State. With only an OT loss at OSU, they are #1 in the Pairwise.

They play the winner of Minnesota St-UMD in the WCHA Final Faceoff next weekend. OSU plays Wisconsin.

If they win the WCHA, they will probably get the top seed in the NCAA tournament (and the only 1st round bye)

Much like the men after the Alaska disaster, the women have really turned it on since losing to Minnesota State. With only an OT loss at OSU, they are #1 in the Pairwise.

They play the winner of Minnesota St-UMD in the WCHA Final Faceoff next weekend. OSU plays Wisconsin.

If they win the WCHA, they will probably get the top seed in the NCAA tournament (and the only 1st round bye)
Thanks for the update! I am responding first to show appreciation. Second to show there is interest in the Women's hockey team.

Since clicks drive the world, I thought I'd add one.

The ladies have done well this year. Now they need to finish what they started. Wisconsin and others breathing down their necks, but I believe they can do it.

UMD beat Minnesota St.

So the Final Faceoff Match-ups are:

March 5:

Gophers vs UMD - 1:00
OSU vs Wisconsin - 4:00

Final is March 6 @ 1:00

I read today that Vivian Jungels had changed her commitment to Wisconsin and has signed with them. Where did she commit earlier to? If not Minnesota, any reason for her not to stay home and support the hometown state where her friends and family could watch her?

Tough loss today to Ohio State. Penalty unfortunately justified to put the team shorthanded right off the bat in overtime. Hopefully in the NCCA tournament they will put it all together. Clearly didn't today, but had played decent, but not what they were capable of doing.

Not much rah-rah after the big choke.

Was never convinced this team had what it took. They haven't had it for several years now and frankly, I was shocked they won the WCHA this season. As it turns out, it was all smoke and mirrors when the chips were down, much like the men.

Was never convinced this team had what it took. They haven't had it for several years now and frankly, I was shocked they won the WCHA this season. As it turns out, it was all smoke and mirrors when the chips were down, much like the men.
Yeah God forbid they have not won a ncaa championship in 4, this will be 5 bleeping years. Close the program down like North Dakota did. You do realize that part of the reason the gophers won the WCHA is cause they played 28 games and Ohio State only played 27 games. The decider was points percentage not total points so had Ohio State played the 28 games, it would have made a difference. Plus Ohio State pulled their goalie in a tie game against Bemidji to go for the win. I am sure had they not had the canceled game they would not have done that.

Yeah God forbid they have not won a ncaa championship in 4, this will be 5 bleeping years. Close the program down like North Dakota did. You do realize that part of the reason the gophers won the WCHA is cause they played 28 games and Ohio State only played 27 games. The decider was points percentage not total points so had Ohio State played the 28 games, it would have made a difference. Plus Ohio State pulled their goalie in a tie game against Bemidji to go for the win. I am sure had they not had the canceled game they would not have done that.
So, your point is that Ohio State would have won the league if they had played an extra game? Cool, just proves my point. I'm not sure where the rest of your post comes from since I stated nothing of the sort.

We have every advantage and yes is is an embarrassment not to win it every other year. We are the biggest blue blood in women's hockey.

We have every advantage and yes is is an embarrassment not to win it every other year. We are the biggest blue blood in women's hockey.
Then you better not follow or watch them anymore because those are unrealistic expectations. How many NCAA championships has Duke won in its storied programs history. The answer is 5 over 31 years and I would argue they have more of an advantage only needing 6-7 players instead of 20 hockey players. Plus they are every bit of a blue blood as gopher women’s hockey.

Then you better not follow or watch them anymore because those are unrealistic expectations. How many NCAA championships has Duke won in its storied programs history. The answer is 5 over 31 years and I would argue they have more of an advantage only needing 6-7 players instead of 20 hockey players. Plus they are every bit of a blue blood as gopher women’s hockey.
353 men's division one basketball teams vs 36 women's division one ice hockey teams. Case closed.

353 men's division one basketball teams vs 36 women's division one ice hockey teams. Case closed.
You have‘t watched enough women’s college hockey lately. There was a time when your statement was true but no longer. There are a lot of very strong college programs now.

So, the women did not win the national championship. Does that make the total season and the program a bust? I don't think so. I enjoyed a lot of good hockey and take pride in their accomplishments. Women's hockey is growing and improving greatly nationally. It is going to be harder to win the national championship, repeat as champions, win four championships in five years, or go undefeated. The in-state teams and rivals are getting tougher. When I saw the tournament draw, I thought what is the chance of beating both UMD and Wisconsin, our biggest rivals, in the same tournament? UMD is tough to beat even when they have a weak team, let alone a good team. Personally, I thought Ohio State had an easy draw, although I thought they had the best team. However, I was glad that they won because it adds interest to women's hockey. Minnesota should be tough next year with seniors and Olympians coming back, freshmen maturing, and good new recruits. Go Gophers.

Please don’t post information that is incorrect. MN won the WCHA outright. While we played 28 games vs. OSU’s 27, we had a 5 point lead and wins are only 3 points.

While the team did not play their best, they also ran into a UMD hot goalie that beat WI and a slight favorite to win it all Northeastern. And was holding off OSU besides a deflected goal.

9E8AECC2-75F3-4AA2-862D-1A5C3C838A7B.png

Please don’t post information that is incorrect. MN won the WCHA outright. While we played 28 games vs. OSU’s 27, we had a 5 point lead and wins are only 3 points.

While the team did not play their best, they also ran into a UMD hot goalie that beat WI and a slight favorite to win it all Northeastern. And was holding off OSU besides a deflected goal.

View attachment 17634
The deciding factor was points percentage since not everyone played the same number of games. That is why Ohio State pulled their goalie in a tie game vs Bemidji to go for the win as a loss didn’t make a difference to them and winning the WCHA.

Congratulations to Taylor Heise for winning the Patty Kazmaier Award as the best player in D1 women's hockey!

Top Bottom