All Things Weakling Wednesday

Going to (potentially) be an awesome night of basketball tomorrow. Northwestern and Michigan State leading directly into the Gophers and Indiana. I'd say the highest and most feasible seed the Gophers can reach is 5. So I'll be pulling for NW tomorrow.

Also, very fun bubble v. bubble matchup in Villanova and Seton Hall to flip back and forth to during MSU-NW game.
Our reasonable best case scenario is probably getting the 5 seed via a 4-way tie with (4) Wisconsin, (6) Michigan State, and (7) Northwestern. This requires Northwestern to lose to Michigan State (and Minnesota obviously). Even if we get a two-way tie with MSU, MSU is ahead of us with their win over Illinois. I don’t think Michigan State losing to Northwestern helps us regardless of whether we beat Northwestern.

Our reasonable best case scenario is probably getting the 5 seed via a 4-way tie with (4) Wisconsin, (6) Michigan State, and (7) Northwestern. This requires Northwestern to lose to Michigan State (and Minnesota obviously). Even if we get a two-way tie with MSU, MSU is ahead of us with their win over Illinois. I don’t think Michigan State losing to Northwestern helps us regardless of whether we beat Northwestern.

Oops - my mistake. Go sparty!

They were under-seeded and we were over-seeded. It should have been a 7/10 match-up.
SS (Hodger) had the Gophers as a 6th seed in his Final Field Projection (March 12, 2017 1:05am).

SS (Hodger) had the Gophers as a 6th seed in his Final Field Projection (March 12, 2017 1:05am).

Rex, I appreciate you referencing that particular year. That was the last time I was perfect on the at-larges. ... 4 times in 31 tries. Hoping to make it 5 this year!

Still some potential shuffling heading into the final weekend of regular season. Michigan is locked into the #14 seed.

If Weakling Wednesday (March 13) at Big Ten Tournament was held today (through March 8):

#12 Maryland (7-12) vs. #13 Rutgers (7-12), 5:30 p.m. (Peacock)

#11 Penn State (8-11) vs. #14 Michigan (3-16), 8 p.m. (Peacock)

Last edited:

Sure looks like we're going to be in that 8/9 game at this point with most likely 9 seed. Most likely going to get Michigan State or Penn St. from what I'm seeing.

Could still be 10 and get Indiana.

8-10 are the only options at this point.

Losing again to Indiana would be a terribly disappointing end to a relatively entertaining season. Maybe we go on a run in the NIT or something

Currently last 5 in on NIT projections. So most likely out if we don't win one more game.

Not to get ahead of ourselves, and I always hope for the best (if I didn't, I wouldn't have been so bummed after last Wednesday's debacle). But missing the entire postseason the first three years of your coaching career would be inauspicious to say least. Not that the first two years were auspicious in any way.

Not to get ahead of ourselves, and I always hope for the best (if I didn't, I wouldn't have been so bummed after last Wednesday's debacle). But missing the entire postseason the first three years of your coaching career would be inauspicious to say least. Not that the first two years were auspicious in any way.

We're fortunate the NIT changed their selection process or I doubt we'd be all that close to making it as is.

I get the post season talk, but really wonder how much it really helps if not the real tournament. Would the staff be better off attacking the portal than preparing for a few mostly meaningless games?

I get the post season talk, but really wonder how much it really helps if not the real tournament. Would the staff be better off attacking the portal than preparing for a few mostly meaningless games?

The answer to this is unquestionably yes. Winning or playing in the NIT means less than ever. Heck we've seen teams opt-out of it recently.

Think if we lose tonight and Ohio State wins tomorrow.....we'd be in the 10 spot. Could pull Iowa in that case, as they are unlikely to beat Illinois. 7/10 game I believe is at 5:00 rather than 11:00 on Thursday, which would be a better time.

Think if we lose tonight and Ohio State wins tomorrow.....we'd be in the 10 spot. Could pull Iowa in that case, as they are unlikely to beat Illinois. 7/10 game I believe is at 5:00 rather than 11:00 on Thursday, which would be a better time.
Not a great match up for us though. At least they won't have many fans there. They won't want to come back two weeks in a row.

The answer to this is unquestionably yes. Winning or playing in the NIT means less than ever. Heck we've seen teams opt-out of it recently.

Somewhat agree. However, very few teams turn down the NIT, which is owned by the NCAA.

Unless there's a coaching firing, or some team is so proud (UNC last year), etc., or it was still COVID with limited or no fans (2021), teams almost always accept an NIT berth. And, definitely teams like Minnesota always accept them. Many teams turn down the CBI, CIT or whatever other tourneys require you to pay to play in them.

And, to me, for this year's Gopher team, I think it is good to play more games, especially in a postseason (one and done) setting, even if only the NIT. Compete. Play. Better than not competing and playing.

Currently last 5 in on NIT projections. So most likely out if we don't win one more game.

Not sure about that. The other teams on the "NIT bubble" are in the same boat Almost none of them will win a bunch of games. Most will lose early in the conference tourneys. Like, who will jump us? Penn State? Rutgers? Florida State? Boston College? They all would need to win 2 or 3 or 4 games more . Almost certainly not going to happen and almost certainly 4 or 5 teams on the NIT bubble aren't going to win a bunch of games. Of course, with Minnesota sports, anything is possible, but looking at everyone around us on the bubble, Minnesota is probably close to being locked into the NIT no matter what.

That would suck.

I think 10-seed is better than the 8 or 9. Probably want to avoid Purdue on Friday, and that can't happen from the 8/9 game.

Not sure it changes much the Thursday matchup. All pretty even between 6-seed and 12-seed.

No way would I go to the NIT, or even hope to! It’s much better to sit at home in a corner and sulk!

Not sure about that. The other teams on the "NIT bubble" are in the same boat Almost none of them will win a bunch of games. Most will lose early in the conference tourneys. Like, who will jump us? Penn State? Rutgers? Florida State? Boston College? They all would need to win 2 or 3 or 4 games more . Almost certainly not going to happen and almost certainly 4 or 5 teams on the NIT bubble aren't going to win a bunch of games. Of course, with Minnesota sports, anything is possible, but looking at everyone around us on the bubble, Minnesota is probably close to being locked into the NIT no matter what.
Bid stealers will likely push 3-4 teams currently in the NCAA field down to the NIT.

Not a great match up for us though. At least they won't have many fans there. They won't want to come back two weeks in a row.

I wouldn't mind getting another shot at Iowa.

That would suck.
I think 10-seed is better than the 8 or 9. Probably want to avoid Purdue on Friday, and that can't happen from the 8/9 game.

Not sure it changes much the Thursday matchup. All pretty even between 6-seed and 12-seed.

That's what I was thinking. Also.....as I said......the 7/10 game is late afternoon and 8/9 is at 11. Would prefer if we won tonight and made that all moot.....but silver linings.....

Bid stealers will likely push 3-4 teams currently in the NCAA field down to the NIT.

Sure, and most (likely all) of the NCAA bid stealers were already in the projected NIT field, so they are likely just trading spots, so it isn't like a ton of NIT spots are disappearing, particularly with the new NIT rules.

Last edited:

Somewhat agree. However, very few teams turn down the NIT, which is owned by the NCAA.

Unless there's a coaching firing, or some team is so proud (UNC last year), etc., or it was still COVID with limited or no fans (2021), teams almost always accept an NIT berth. And, definitely teams like Minnesota always accept them. Many teams turn down the CBI, CIT or whatever other tourneys require you to pay to play in them.

And, to me, for this year's Gopher team, I think it is good to play more games, especially in a postseason (one and done) setting, even if only the NIT. Compete. Play. Better than not competing and playing.

I disagree. If getting a couple of extra days in the portal to recruit to land a better player for next year, I'd rather do that. Of course that doesn't guarantee anything.

If we get selected, we're going to go, im just saying I'd rather miss and spend extra time on recruiting.

I disagree. If getting a couple of extra days in the portal to recruit to land a better player for next year, I'd rather do that. Of course that doesn't guarantee anything.

If we get selected, we're going to go, im just saying I'd rather miss and spend extra time on recruiting.

You think coaches won't be allowed on computers to work the transfer portal while they prepare for an NIT game? It isn't a one or two day decision anyway. Most portal guys will wait around for teams to be done with postseason before finalizing anything, or they will be in the postseason and not even have entered the portal yet. For example, Elijah Hawkins didn't even enter the portal last year until after losing in the NCAA tourney and then didn't commit until May. Mitchell transferred in late March. Dawson Garcia in April two years ago.

Plus, there are already things in the works for most portal guys right now, if they know they are leaving.

Very little portal recruiting advantage is to be gained by missing the NIT. Certainly not enough to forego the benefit of competing in postseason games, even the NIT.

Last edited:

That's a good point and a good question. For me, in the point of the thread, it's a metric, a measuring stick.

You think coaches won't be allowed on computers to work the transfer portal while they prepare for an NIT game? It isn't a one or two day decision anyway. Most portal guys will wait around for teams to be done with postseason before finalizing anything, or they will be in the postseason and not even have entered the portal yet. For example, Elijah Hawkins didn't even enter the portal last year until after losing in the NCAA tourney and then didn't commit until May. Mitchell transferred in late March. Dawson Garcia in April two years ago.

Plus, there are already things in the works for most portal guys right now, if they know they are leaving.

Very little portal recruiting advantage is to be gained by missing the NIT. Certainly not enough to forego the benefit of competing in postseason games, even the NIT.

I'm saying if we can gain even the slightest advantage, I'd skip it. Odds are that probably won't happen anyway. I just don't find much value in winning meaningless games. I mean, if we make it, ill watch and hope they win, but it doesn't mean anything.

I do not see this was ever Officially updated.

G1 - #13 Rutgers vs #12 Maryland / 5:30 PM CDT
G2 - #14 Michigan vs #11 Penn St / 25 minutes after G1

Only the 3rd time the Gophers have missed out on the WW fun.

Last night I was checking out Resale Tix on AXS and saw several options for $5 (+ fees).

Today the App seemed to think I was a Bot, no matter what I did, so take that for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Top Bottom