All Things Tennis 2023

Go Novak!!
Got to give credit to Medvedev though. He seemed to have a plan to keep Alcarez from taking control and he didn't lose focus after dropping the second set. It sure seemed like he was going for it on his second serve to prevent alcaraz from pouncing on it like he did against Zverev.

Absolutely incredible atmosphere during the Coco match. She got a standing ovation on each changeover during the 3rd. Her movement on the court is at such a high level, even among the best in the world. The balls she chases down and her ability to flip the switch from defense to offense in a single shot has elevated her game so much. She's now #1 in the world in doubles and #3 in singles.

I loved her speech during the award ceremony except when she said "thanks to all those that didn't believe in me for motivating me. When I won a Masters 500 people said this would be the best tournament I'd ever win...etc." literally no one said that Coco. If anything, expectations may have been unfair, as many predicted she'd win Majors at some point in her career when she was just 15 and now she has!

She's the face of American women's tennis and she is so poised and humble. I love it.

Go Coco!!

Absolutely incredible atmosphere during the Coco match. She got a standing ovation on each changeover during the 3rd. Her movement on the court is at such a high level, even among the best in the world. The balls she chases down and her ability to flip the switch from defense to offense in a single shot has elevated her game so much. She's now #1 in the world in doubles and #3 in singles.

I loved her speech during the award ceremony except when she said "thanks to all those that didn't believe in me for motivating me. When I won a Masters 500 people said this would be the best tournament I'd ever win...etc." literally no one said that Coco. If anything, expectations may have been unfair, as many predicted she'd win Majors at some point in her career when she was just 15 and now she has!

She's the face of American women's tennis and she is so poised and humble. I love it.

Go Coco!!
Coco played an incredible match. Sabalenka has such a powerful game and her power is supercharged when she can play inside the baseline with relentless pressure on her opponent. But Coco adjusted well and put more depth on her shots, keeping Sabalenka behind the baseline, where she was more prone to errors. Coco was never going to beat Sabalenka power vs power. Great strategy.

And I do believe there were people doubting her. Saying things like “oh great win in DC, but you can’t win a major and you are not living up to the hype.” She’s 19 and just went on a red hot hard court streak. I didn’t like the comments much either - they didn’t fit well. But I get where they are coming from.

Another routine match for Novak, outside of a good second set. Absolutely amazing how dominant he is, at his age and so consistently good. He’s removed all doubt that he’s the GOAT, and only health will determine how far out of reach he sets the Major record.

24 Slams, simply the best.

Go USA!!

The Legend of Coco Gauff Begins Now​

There are some other names that come to mind when you think of all that, and they’ve got a shitload of titles. And since what we’re really talking about, whenever we talk about Coco, is the future of women’s tennis in America, this too should be said: The Williams sisters are not coming back through that door. For the better part of three decades, U.S. tennis has essentially existed in the gravitational wake of its uninvited first family: Venus, Serena, Richard, Oracene. Now, they appear to have left the highest level of competition in the sport behind. The period that follows their departure is already, and will continue to be, one defined by anticipation, that emptiness—as old as the sport, as old as all sports—that blankets a people without an idol. There’s a chance that we will look back at Saturday as the moment that the wait ended—and with Gauff’s victory, what we know now is that this chance is not infinitesimal.

It’s the size of her horizons.

The lowdown on chosen ones is: You never really know—until you do. Coco’s through the door. Time to watch how she moves.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom