All Things Podcast Recommendations/Reviews

Livingat45north

Reaction score
Rather than blend this with the TV/Movie threads, thought I'd start one just for Podcasts...

Here's a couple:

The Dropout
Money. Romance. Tragedy. Deception. The story of Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos is an unbelievable tale of ambition and fame gone terribly wrong. How did the world’s youngest self-made female billionaire lose it all in the blink of an eye? How did the woman once heralded as “the next Steve Jobs” find herself facing criminal charges — to which she pleaded not guilty — and up to 20 years in jail? How did her technology, meant to revolutionize healthcare, potentially put millions of patients at risk? And how did so many smart people get it so wrong along the way?

also a story of how powerful people get access to money. Theranos is in the news again as the case is finally going to court.

CrimeTown - Season 1
Follows the history of organized crime in Providence, Rhode Island. I liked season 1, didn't care for Season 2...

On my morning jogs I've been listening to "The Syndicate" podcast, which is all about Marijuana in Minnesota. It's basically a "Breaking Bad" story (but true vs fiction) of the kingpin of illegal Marijuana distribution in Minnesota, with it being grown somewhat legally in Denver and shipped/flown to Minnesota for illegal distribution. BTW, the initial startup funding for the whole system came from a city of St. Paul contract to replace street lights. That's a very small part of the overall story, but I just thought it was interesting how the profit from the street light contract was used. So far it's a pretty fascinating tale, and one that also explains why Colorado's tax revenue from MJ has fallen so dramatically over the past couple of years.

Other than a variety of sports podcasts I listen to, I've become a fan (somewhat) of the "All-In" podcast; "Chamath Palihapitiya, Jason Calacanis, David Sacks & David Friedberg cover all things economic, tech, political, social & poker."

I'll probably butcher this but these guys are essentially Tech guys, silicone valley guys originally but now largely venture capitalist type guys. Extremely bright guys, all four of them, opinionated, and a very healthy mix of progressive and conservative viewpoints; they generally hit topics on economy/stock market, politics, and some tech. Some of the smartest guys I've ever heard on radio/pod and I like listening to smart people, regardless of their background.

They are incredibly connected with folks at Google and some of the other tech firms, a couple are very tied in with Elon Musk. It's only once or twice a week so you don't have to find it daily, that would be a grind.

I would definitely give the All-In podcast two thumbs up.

Pat McAfee podcast sells out to ESPN for four-year, $120M deal. Lots of fans are apparently not very happy about the move, calling McAfee a sell-out, etc. Seems a little harsh, hard to begrudge anyone for grabbing the bag when they get a chance, although moving to ESPN/Disney could turn out to be a regrettable move.

ESPN Can No Longer Build Their Own Talent, Bought One In Pat McAfee

McAfee Faces Backlash From Fans, Calling McAfee A "Sell Out", McAfee Responds

Hard to say how this is going to go. One of the draws for McAfee was his candid-ness, he swears a lot, like the common man I guess. He's got a pretty good formula that seems to work, I think a lot of fans of the show are worried it will be watered down way way too much by going to the ESPN/Disney platform.

Time will tell how the move goes for McAfee, but in recent years ESPN has been where on-air personalities go to die.

On my morning jogs I've been listening to "The Syndicate" podcast, which is all about Marijuana in Minnesota. It's basically a "Breaking Bad" story (but true vs fiction) of the kingpin of illegal Marijuana distribution in Minnesota, with it being grown somewhat legally in Denver and shipped/flown to Minnesota for illegal distribution. BTW, the initial startup funding for the whole system came from a city of St. Paul contract to replace street lights. That's a very small part of the overall story, but I just thought it was interesting how the profit from the street light contract was used. So far it's a pretty fascinating tale, and one that also explains why Colorado's tax revenue from MJ has fallen so dramatically over the past couple of years.
As a bit of a teaser, in the podcast they go into a lot of detail about the FBI's "Operation Golden Gopher", which is all about cracking the syndicate. Fortunately, they didn't get Goldy on any charges, so he's still free to roam the campus.

for sports, one show I have been listening to lately is "The Monty Show." this is a YouTube sports talk show based out of Salt Lake City. They cover a lot of Pac-12 and Big-12 stuff, so I've been listening for updates on the Pac-12 media deal and possible realignment. The host is pretty funny and his sidekick has a good line every now and then.

another one I listen to fairly often is "The John Campea Show podcast." this is focused on entertainment - movie and TV news with previews and reviews of new movies and streaming TV shows. the host is fairly opinionated. (be prepared if you're a Disney fan - he has some bug with Disney so he rips them every chance he gets.) half of the show is the host going through topics and the other half is the host and sidekicks responding to questions from listeners.

Top Bottom