All things Players Coming and Going.

Moore didn't show much at the U18s. Sometimes it's better to start those young guys at wing in college. If Cooley comes back (Happy Birthday, 92), I still put Moore on the top line. Especially if Huglen and Nelson are back as 2C/3C.

M

Moore is a true center though so I actually think he would center the 2nd line with Cooley centering the top line with Snuggerud and maybe Pitlick? Huglen is also a center though so maybe someone gets moved to wing. But it’s really looking like we may be returning 11/12 forwards losing Knies and gaining Moore. If Close comes back we’ll be dominant once again.
Ah yeah you're right, I was thinking he was a wing, but yeah a 1-2 punch at C of Cooley and Moore sounds nice too. Throw in Nelson as your #3 and it's hard to not like that. Assuming Huglen is the one moved to wing in that scenario, but who knows.

Moore has incredible speed which would be a real weapon if he lines up at wing.

Exactly. And he can keep up with Cooley (if he's there) and 81. Otherwise you might end up with a passenger on that line.

They already knew he was gone. He signed an AHL tryout first, like Portillo.

Retaining Fantilli + year 2 of Brindley, Nazar, and McGroarty would more than make up for the loss.

They already knew he was gone. He signed an AHL tryout first, like Portillo.

Retaining Fantilli + year 2 of Brindley, Nazar, and McGroarty would more than make up for the loss.
NHL insiders think Fantilli will sign.

NHL insiders think Fantilli will sign.
That decision is make or break on them being a top three or so title favorite again tier vs. just one of the top ten-ish contenders. Just as the Cooley decision makes or breaks the Gophers doing the same.

That decision is make or break on them being a top three or so title favorite again tier vs. just one of the top ten-ish contenders. Just as the Cooley decision makes or breaks the Gophers doing the same.
I hope both Cooley and Fantilli come back for the good of college hockey but I expect both teams to be title contenders next year regardless of their decisions.

I hope both Cooley and Fantilli come back for the good of college hockey but I expect both teams to be title contenders next year regardless of their decisions.
Yeah I think we were spoiled with how good our team was this year, and of course I don't expect next year to be as good, with or without Cooley, but we are absolutely a contender regardless of Cooley's decision. Same goes for Michigan with regards to Fantilli.

That's exactly what I said. Both teams will be title contenders in the top ten or so. But those players put them over the top, the same as they did this season. With Cooley or Fantilli, anything less than a FF appearance would be a disappointment. Without them, the minimum expectations are lower.

That's exactly what I said. Both teams will be title contenders in the top ten or so. But those players put them over the top, the same as they did this season. With Cooley or Fantilli, anything less than a FF appearance would be a disappointment. Without them, the minimum expectations are lower.
More than fair...I'd still expect both teams to be title favorites. I'm probably more concerned about our defense and goalie situation next season. How great is it that Motzko has us back to this level, though!

More than fair...I'd still expect both teams to be title favorites. I'm probably more concerned about our defense and goalie situation next season. How great is it that Motzko has us back to this level, though!
D core is still very strong. There's no replacing Faber/Lacombe/Johnson and we may never see a group like last year's again, but Koster/Chesley/Thomas/Mittelstadt/Rinzel/Fish will still be among the best top 6 units in the country.

Close is a tough one to evaluate. He obviously did everything you could reasonably expect of him given the circumstances, but I think people underestimate how much he benefitted from playing behind a historically good D core.

Scoring depth is my concern, with or without Cooley. We will need guys like Huglen, Pitlick, Nevers, Lamb, and Kurth to take big steps forward next year. Overall I'm still very optimistic and you're right Bob has made this an elite program again.

Close is not amazing but the other goalie recruits aren't amazing either. I don't know why Motzko's goalie recruiting is so far behind his player recruiting.

Think Cooley might be gone. Good point from a Coyotes poster on HFB.

"With Bedard out of the picture, Cooley signs pro contract tonight now that he knows he'll be top dog...er, Coyote and future captain. ;)"

Plus he changed his profile pic apparently from Gophers to Coyotes.

Snuggerud is probably about -15 points expected without Cooley, in my opinion.

I'd say he could get 55-60 points with him and 40-45 without. That's with Moore.

Tyson Dyck in portal as potential body to add if Cooley goes.

May 15... The decision should be made and announced by now.

May 15... The decision should be made and announced by now.
If rumors are true there is only one decision still being awaited. Unfortunately, while you are right it would ideally be made by now, Cooley has all the leverage. Neither Bob, nor the Coyotes are going to tell him to pound sand.

Kinda figured that. We're waiting on the decision.

Cooley now waiting to see if he'd be going to Salt Lake City or Houston rather than Arizona.

Cooley now waiting to see if he'd be going to Salt Lake City or Houston rather than Arizona.

Wonder if that makes him more likely to stay at Minny. Why play one season in Arizona and then have to up and move. I'm sure it plays into it a little.

Popular belief seems to be that Nelson coming back = Brodzinski and Close coming back as well. All good news IMO, but of course as has been mentioned, the real intrigue is around whether Cooley will be back.

Also if Airey comes in and Barto leaves, it's just another confirmation that Motzko and the goalie pipeline don't really jive. And we've heard he treats them in a bit of an odd way, seemingly staying out of the "goalie room" completely.

Pray we get the next Oettinger (or half-Oettinger) to come out of MN because I'm sick of these average to good guys back there where you never feel totally confident in the biggest games of the year.

11 Forwards
Nelson, Nevers, Pitlick, Huglen, Strobel, Pino, Mittelstadt, Kurth, Lamb, Snuggerud, Moore

5 maybes
Brodzinski, Cooley, Schmidt, Clark, Hendrickson

Teams usually carry 15 forwards to have even lines in practice.

Top Bottom