All things Players Coming and Going.

Sounds like Nelson is probably back, which isn't really surprising.

Side note: Luke Mittelstadt was the first Gopher freshman D to put up 20+ points since Erik Johnson.

It's easy to focus on Nelson's shortcomings but this team is absolutely better off with him being back next year. Same goes for #22 if he follows.

Sounds like there's a lot of optimism Close is returning as well. This will be a damn good team.

Sounds like Nelson is probably back, which isn't really surprising.

Side note: Luke Mittelstadt was the first Gopher freshman D to put up 20+ points since Erik Johnson.
And he’s undrafted

I'd like the 777 line to take a step next year. If they are both back, I'd like the Nevers Nelson Brodzinski line to be the third line and not the second. It's clear they are who we think they are at this point.

As a third line, yes that's a very solid group.

Real possibility Cooley (and Fantilli, ugh...) come back! Fingers crossed. If Michigan gets a good goalie they'll be a machine.

Real possibility Cooley (and Fantilli, ugh...) come back! Fingers crossed. If Michigan gets a good goalie they'll be a machine.
Any new sources or rumors on Cooley?
Fantilli coming back would suck but will likely mean it's us and Michigan and then everybody else in the B10.

EDIT: I see the tweet. Wish Fantilli would go pro but I'll take the trade. There has never been a 2 time Hobey winner, correct?

I still am refusing to get my hopes up. And honestly won't believe it until I see him actually on the ice at Mariucci in October. I can't take any more letdown right now. In my mind he's gone.

But man, dreaming of a top line of Cooley-Snuggerud-Moore sure is fun.

IF, and big IF, Cooley does return, and rumors have 24,22, and #1 returning, we essentially have the same top 9, swap Knies for Moore. There's no replacing Faber/Johnson/Lacombe on the back end, but I expect a big step forward from Chesley, and solid improvement from Thomas and Mittelstadt. A top 6 D of Chesley, Koster, Mittelstadt, Thomas, Rinzel, and Fish? doesn't sound bad at all, plus we know we are getting in Close.

That roster, while not as good as this year's, is absolutely a championship contender.

If Fantilli goes back it's proof the Michigan strategy of getting players in a year early is worth it because you get two years out of one and done players (Power, Beniers, Johnson, Brindley), and that the Gophers probably should have tried harder to get Eiserman in this fall like BU did with Celebrini.

Crazy both Cooley and Snuggerud are still 18. If "the line" happens for next year, all three would be only 19 come tourney time, while the "second line" would be 24, 23, and 23 at the Frozen Four.

If Cooley doesn’t sign by the end of the nhl season there is no real incentive for him to sign this year. The whole point is to sign now and burn a year of your contract.

Hearing that Johnson might not have a spot with Buffalo, so even if he wants to go he might not have a contract to sign.

Hearing that Johnson might not have a spot with Buffalo, so even if he wants to go he might not have a contract to sign.
He will have a contract to sign... The question is if he wants to go there or sees somewhere where he can have a top 6 spot right away easier.

If Buffalo doesn't sign Johnson at least 25 other teams would be happy to have him in their system.

Pehrson to UND. F***
Then Warren to UM...

Gophers still with 7 D needing at least one more. All in on Koch probably at this point unless someone else enters the portal.

I remember those days. So many were upset at the thought of not all being Minnesotan. My first memory of a Canadian player - goalie- Petroangelo. Don’t remember the year.
Frank Pietrangelo. Mid 80s.

Lucius x 2 and Broz left on April 27 and 28 last year which left Motzko screwed because the portal was dried up and then had to bring Lamb in a year early.

With those being what I'd call late decisions, hopefully Cooley's decision comes soon. If Cooley does go and even if Clark comes in (not ideal), you're sitting at 14F/7D when you really need at least 15F/8D.

Eiserman has 4 goals today. Likely some panic plans to try to accelerate him this summer but probably too late.

Slight risk he goes straight to NHL after next year.

Vegoe saying sounds like only 1 of 4 likely to return: Close, Brodz, Nelson, Cooley

Cooley probably not the one from that group... Lose three of those guys including Cooley, and don't add Eiserman, and next year the Gophers will just be a top 10ish team and not an obvious contender.

Fuck. They had to win in Tampa.

I'm not saying Vegoe is wrong, but the fact that we haven't been active in the portal and are only bringing in 2 freshman forwards tells me that more than 1 of these guys will be back next year.

I'm not saying Vegoe is wrong, but the fact that we haven't been active in the portal and are only bringing in 2 freshman forwards tells me that more than 1 of these guys will be back next year.
Motzko seems to be above the portal, and if three of those four guys leave it's going to bite him in the ass trying to even put together a full roster for next season.

Bob has given us no reason to believe he doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to roster construction. I have a hard time believing he's just going to wait and see and hope for the best.
I think he's busy replaying the tape over and over again to see how and why he was outcoached along with wondering why the guys he had on the ice weren't in the right positions since they were the right guys for that moment in time... and his play he had planned for them didn't develop like... he planned, if they'd only won the faceoff.

It's May. Let's get these decisions done and out of the way.

Saw Sondreal from CDH committed to BC. Would have been a good lower line guy for next year.

Yeah someone on GPL also mentioned they expect the senior forwards to return. I would not think that includes Schmidt, but who knows.

A line of Cooley-Snuggerud-Moore sounds pretty exciting to me. This team should be a contender again next year.

M
Yeah someone on GPL also mentioned they expect the senior forwards to return. I would not think that includes Schmidt, but who knows.

A line of Cooley-Snuggerud-Moore sounds pretty exciting to me. This team should be a contender again next year.
Moore is a true center though so I actually think he would center the 2nd line with Cooley centering the top line with Snuggerud and maybe Pitlick? Huglen is also a center though so maybe someone gets moved to wing. But it’s really looking like we may be returning 11/12 forwards losing Knies and gaining Moore. If Close comes back we’ll be dominant once again.

Top Bottom