All things Players Coming and Going.

If somehow Cooley comes back with Snuggs next season, who do you guys see rounding out that line?

If Nelson comes back as the 2C/3C, Oliver Moore. Or a portal first line winger.

Still would have to be a miracle for Cooley to be back.

If Nelson comes back as the 2C/3C, Oliver Moore. Or a portal first line winger.

Still would have to be a miracle for Cooley to be back.
Do you think it's at all promising that he hasn't been called up to Arizona, or is it too early to tell?

Do you think it's at all promising that he hasn't been called up to Arizona, or is it too early to tell?
Every minute he remains unsigned is a positive, but I won't get my hopes up. Still say about 90% he's gone.

Really hope I'm wrong.

If Cooley leaves every skater currently lined up for next season is Minnesotan.

If Cooley leaves every skater currently lined up for next season is Minnesotan.
I remember those days. So many were upset at the thought of not all being Minnesotan. My first memory of a Canadian player - goalie- Petroangelo. Don’t remember the year.

I remember those days. So many were upset at the thought of not all being Minnesotan. My first memory of a Canadian player - goalie- Petroangelo. Don’t remember the year.
If Close leaves, maybe bring in Ethan Haider from Maple Grove to be all MN.

He looked pretty good out there last night. Evanson had him in the last minute of the game when the Hawks had their goalie pulled
I thought he played an excellent game. Reminds me of Brodin.

UND has put together a great class in the portal. Gophers need to be more active in there.

UND has put together a great class in the portal. Gophers need to be more active in there.
I'd rather we continue to out recruit them, which we are.

Not to mention they also suffered a lot of losses to the portal.

I'd rather we continue to out recruit them, which we are.

Not to mention they also suffered a lot of losses to the portal.
Losses to the portal so they could upgrade... "In all three years since the pandemic, the national champion's leading goal-scorer has been a transfer. QU had Collin Graf (via Union). DU had Cameron Wright (BGSU). UMass had Carson Gicewicz (SLU)."

They are rebuilding their whole roster, but overall their "class" is better than the Gophers' (partly by nature of being huge).

Recruits:
Perron: 69 points in 58 USHL games
Emerson: 63 points in 57 USHL games
Livanavage: 35 points in 45 USHL games
Strathmann: 37 points in 52 USHL games
Benoit: Wild draft pick
Wiebe: 53 points in 54 BCHL games, Vegas draft pick
Komzak: 52 points in 60 AJHL games
Hedquist

Portal:
Berg: 47 points in 74 NCAA games - 2 years - 21YO in Oct
Johannes: Point per game in NCAA last year - 1 year - 25YO in Oct
Zmolek: CCHA All Rookie Team - 3 years - 21YO in Oct
Pyke: Alaska captain - 1 year - 24YO in Oct
Persson: 82 NCAA games - 1 year - 24YO in Oct

With the nature of college hockey these days, I think it is becoming more and more important to diversify in recruiting. We have done a great job landing impact players out of high school/juniors, but there is something to be said for picking up players that are established at the college level. As exciting as it is to have the young talent we have had, there is an upside in having some more mature players that can mix things up in front of the net or in the corners. Regardless of pure skill, it can't be denied that a 25 year old player has some advantages over 18 year olds coming fresh out of high school.

I would also like to see the Gophers land more players from the northern half of the state. Off the top of my head, I think Huglen is the only MN kid from north of the metro area. Does anyone know if we are recruiting up there, but are at a disadvantage, or if we just focus on the metro exclusively?

With the nature of college hockey these days, I think it is becoming more and more important to diversify in recruiting. We have done a great job landing impact players out of high school/juniors, but there is something to be said for picking up players that are established at the college level. As exciting as it is to have the young talent we have had, there is an upside in having some more mature players that can mix things up in front of the net or in the corners. Regardless of pure skill, it can't be denied that a 25 year old player has some advantages over 18 year olds coming fresh out of high school.

I would also like to see the Gophers land more players from the northern half of the state. Off the top of my head, I think Huglen is the only MN kid from north of the metro area. Does anyone know if we are recruiting up there, but are at a disadvantage, or if we just focus on the metro exclusively?
We've certainly had our share of Northern guys over the years - Blake Mclaughlin the past few years being an example. I'd say without any facts or data to back this up we are more often the school of choice for metro kids whereas a kid up north might be more likely to be swayed by UMD or UND, although they have had plenty of metro kids over the years themselves. I don't believe we are just focused on the metro, that just happens to be where most of the talent is concentrated.

Oddly enough we had 3 players on our roster this year from Southern MN, which is definitely not the norm.

Regardless of pure skill, it can't be denied that a 25 year old player has some advantages over 18 year olds coming fresh out of high school.
Bingo. Mix in the portal.

Look at Lamb/Kurth this year. They didn't really do much because they weren't ready for college hockey. I expect the same from Hendrickson and Clark next year.

Cruikshank flopped for the Gophers but they can't harp on that because look what he did for SCSU.

It's going to be tough to get a transfer D with our top 6 fairly well set for next year, barring an unexpected departure. Staudacher opens up a little room of course but you still have Koster, Chesley, Mittelstadt, Thomas and Rinzel pretty locked in with Fish as a possible 6th.

You need at least 8 D on the roster. You usually dress 7.

Players like Pehrson and Koch are good enough to know they can push Fish into a 7th D role.

Rinzel and Chesley will likely go to WJC. Bob needs to make a move ASAP.

Last edited:

You need at least 8 D on the roster. You usually dress 7.

Players like Pehrson and Koch are good enough to know they can push Fish into a 7th D role.

Rinzel and Chesley will likely go to WJC. Bob needs to make a move ASAP.
I understand that, I'm saying it's going to be tough to convince someone to come and be a 7th-8th D, maybe 6th. Meanwhile UND had basically every spot open on their blue line. I'll take our problems over theirs any day.

Despite the quirky fact about transfers leading their teams in goals, the top teams in the past few years have not been portal heavy.

I think you're overestimating how much convincing would be needed and underestimating how many minutes one of those two coming would play.

Even though we all know the probability of him coming back is low, every hour until the Cooley decision gives a tiny slice of hope to be potentially smashed.

Sorry if he's been mentioned already but Silye from Mankato would be a huge add.

Seems unlikely. If he wants to go Big Ten he'd probably follow his coach and teammates.

Top Bottom