All Things Penn State Road Trip Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
We've had some really good road trip threads - and this game will likely be one of the more attractive road games for those traveling considering we don't play at Penn State as often as many places, its our first Big Ten game of the year, etc.

We just booked RT flights from MSP to Philadelphia for just over $200 which we felt was pretty good. It will be a decent drive to State College, but that's OK.

For those that have made this trip, any tips on good places to eat, grab a beer, etc.?

Anyone else making this trip?

Go Gophers!!

We've had some really good road trip threads - and this game will likely be one of the more attractive road games for those traveling considering we don't play at Penn State as often as many places, its our first Big Ten game of the year, etc.

We just booked RT flights from MSP to Philadelphia for just over $200 which we felt was pretty good. It will be a decent drive to State College, but that's OK.

For those that have made this trip, any tips on good places to eat, grab a beer, etc.?

Go Gophers!!

I've spent a lot of time in PA over the last few years.

You could also fly in to Pittsburgh (Southwest). I've gotten tickets for $220-$250 and you can drive from there 2.5 hours. You can also take a cheap bus (usually under $20).

Go Gophers!!

Bleed, it really depends on your style: party atmosphere? in the mix of things? live music? laid back? great food? large tap selection? fruity daiquiris (haha)? What suits you?

Bleed, it really depends on your style: party atmosphere? in the mix of things? live music? laid back? great food? large tap selection? fruity daiquiris (haha)? What suits you?

A combo between live music and laid back would be ideal. Certainly any good food recommendations would be good, good "Penn State" locales (memorabilia, sandwiches named after Matt Millen, etc.)

Go Gophers!!

Baltimore is actually slightly closer to State College than Philadelphia and often has cheap flights.

Spirit has direct flights between MSP and BWI if you're comfortable with the Spirit thing.

$107: http://goo.gl/flights/VvVT

A combo between live music and laid back would be ideal. Certainly any good food recommendations would be good, good "Penn State" locales (memorabilia, sandwiches named after Matt Millen, etc.)

Go Gophers!!

I believe that would be the **** sandwich. Well, maybe just in Detroit.

One option for lodging I have been looking at is renting one of those RVs for the weekend. They have them all set up in the tailgate lot and you just drive up and RV for the weekend right next to the stadium. There are a few companies that do it so a Google search will find ya what your looking for. Get enough guys and it's cheaper than a hotel without worrying about traffic on Gameday.

One option for lodging I have been looking at is renting one of those RVs for the weekend. They have them all set up in the tailgate lot and you just drive up and RV for the weekend right next to the stadium. There are a few companies that do it so a Google search will find ya what your looking for. Get enough guys and it's cheaper than a hotel without worrying about traffic on Gameday.
This sounds cool. If you'd be so kind, I'd be interested in knowing how much this costs and whether you end up booking it. I'm not 100% convinced I'll go, but this sounds like a unique, fun experience that could sway me...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Go Gophers!!

Given your description, I'd recommend the American Ale House out near Toftrees, first and foremost. Always had a great experience there, especially food and the "laid back" part. A lot of people love Otto's on N. Atherton Street.

Closer to downtown/campus, The Corner Room on College Ave. is an old classic eating joint with lots of memorabilia. The Tavern on College Ave. is another classic. Bill Pickles on Allen Street right downtown is pretty nice/new, mainly with bar food though. Zola is an uppity joint, for those who like good modern food. Herwig's Austrian Bistro (downtown) is unique for that area, and serves Austro-German menu. Spats right above the Rathskellar (a classic dive bar) always has great food. The Atherton Hotel at the west end of campus/downtown has pretty good food and also contains wall paintings of Penn State icons (and other icons) to enjoy during your meal.

Getting away from downtown, again, the best pizza, IMO, is the brick oven pizza at Faccia Luna's on S. Atherton. Champs on N. Atherton is a huge sports bar/grill, but food is only so-so; although they name a lot of their items on Penn State icons (since you mentioned that). Carnegie Inn (outskirts of town) has a daily chef and high quality (but short and expensive) menu.

Most of the dive bars ("basement" bars) have live music, but they'll be crowded on game nights.

Do you know where you are staying, yet?

This sounds cool. If you'd be so kind, I'd be interested in knowing how much this costs and whether you end up booking it. I'm not 100% convinced I'll go, but this sounds like a unique, fun experience that could sway me... Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The cost ranges from $1300 to $2900 depending on the size RV you get and the game. Looks like they sleep anywhere from 3-10 people. This is the email I got from one of the companies:

We specialize in providing a turn-key, hassle free visit to Happy Valley for the entire football weekend.
We will deliver an RV to the stadium for you to occupy from Friday at noon through Sunday at noon. Arrive Friday and instantly start enjoying your football weekend in a clean RV which is like having a vacation home at Beaver Stadium!

Your RV is professionally set-up for you to assure a great tailgate spot! We take care of the parking pass for the RV, it is set up, serviced and ready to enjoy the second you arrive. Penn State's overnight RV parking lot is caddy-corner from Beaver Stadium behind the AG Arena. You will bring your clothing and groceries (groceries/catering can be provided for an additional fee) and move into your RV for the weekend. Your safety is our first priority, a safety inspection is completed on every RV before each rental and all electricity is provided by Nittany RV Valet's Power Lion Motorhome.

All of our units are delivered with full fresh water tanks, full propane tanks, a cold refrigerator and heat / air-conditioning. Each rental also includes clean bedding & bath towels, a full kitchen including, pot/pans, coffee pot and filters, toaster, dishware and utensils, a full bathroom, a large awning, outdoor chairs for the rated sleeping capacity, a table-top grill and fuel, a large outdoor carpet, and an outdoor table. In addition to the RV awing, each RV comes with a complimentary 10 x 10 EZ-UP canopy. Tailgate Ready!

All you need to bring is food, beverages, and the expectation of having a fun weekend!

Spending the weekend in an RV at the stadium is a unique Tailgreat Experience: you and your group are together tailgating the entire weekend, you do not have to get up early and find a restaurant then sit in game day traffic, everything you need is steps away from the stadium, and you have your own place to relax and tailgate!

To see photos and floor plans of RV's in the fleet go to our website: http://www.nittanyrvvalet.com/index.php/rent-a-tailgate-rv To reserve an RV please contact us by email or phone with an RV request and a contract will be sent to you. After we receive the contact your 20% deposit will secure a reservation. Please see the availability grid below.

Nittany RV Valet's services are similar to the front desk in a hotel and we are onsite and available 24 hours a day in the overnight RV lot during game weekends.

We offer additional services including an outdoor set-up with 40' HDTV/ satellite service, stocking groceries/catering, coolers with ice, large patio grills, etc. Our motor homes are also available for tailgate rentals in the client's Day of Game RV parking spot.

Questions? Please do not hesitate to call or email with any questions.
Sharon

WE ARE…exceeding guest expectations every day!
Sharon Frazier '78
Jeff McClellan '79
(814) 303-9303 phone
(815) 301-1807 fax
nittanyrvvalet.com
[email protected]
Nittany RV Valet - Leave the driving and parking to us!

Given your description, I'd recommend the American Ale House out near Toftrees, first and foremost. Always had a great experience there, especially food and the "laid back" part. A lot of people love Otto's on N. Atherton Street.

Closer to downtown/campus, The Corner Room on College Ave. is an old classic eating joint with lots of memorabilia. The Tavern on College Ave. is another classic. Bill Pickles on Allen Street right downtown is pretty nice/new, mainly with bar food though. Zola is an uppity joint, for those who like good modern food. Herwig's Austrian Bistro (downtown) is unique for that area, and serves Austro-German menu. Spats right above the Rathskellar (a classic dive bar) always has great food. The Atherton Hotel at the west end of campus/downtown has pretty good food and also contains wall paintings of Penn State icons (and other icons) to enjoy during your meal.

Getting away from downtown, again, the best pizza, IMO, is the brick oven pizza at Faccia Luna's on S. Atherton. Champs on N. Atherton is a huge sports bar/grill, but food is only so-so; although they name a lot of their items on Penn State icons (since you mentioned that). Carnegie Inn (outskirts of town) has a daily chef and high quality (but short and expensive) menu.

Most of the dive bars ("basement" bars) have live music, but they'll be crowded on game nights.

Do you know where you are staying, yet?

Great tips, I really appreciate it.

On Friday night we're staying about 15 miles out of State College - we couldn't find a hotel option in State College, but we'll keep looking and hopefully change locations if something opens up.

Go Gophers!!

Has anyone stayed in hotels in State College on a game weekend before? It looks like that ship may have sailed, but if anyone has advice on setting up lodging or booking a hotel please share! This game has been circled on my calendar for year's and I may have already dropped the ball :(

Has anyone stayed in hotels in State College on a game weekend before? It looks like that ship may have sailed, but if anyone has advice on setting up lodging or booking a hotel please share! This game has been circled on my calendar for year's and I may have already dropped the ball :(

We booked a hotel about 15 miles out of town, but will keep an eye on the hotels in State College in case one opens up at a reasonable rate.

Go Gopehrs!!

I once stayed at a Comfort Inn that was a 30-minute walk from the stadium and ran us $300/night. That was fun.

Really wanted to make the trip to state college this year, but lucked into Ryder Cup tickets for Friday. Will have to wait until 2020 at the earliest now.

I once stayed at a Comfort Inn that was a 30-minute walk from the stadium and ran us $300/night. That was fun.

Yeah, PSU boards indicate that hotels in town are 2 night minimum and run around $400+ per night on game weekends. I'd love to do this trip, but logistics seem like a PITA.

Really wanted to make the trip to state college this year, but lucked into Ryder Cup tickets for Friday. Will have to wait until 2020 at the earliest now.

Same issue here. Really wanted to hit this road game this year, but Ryder Cup is maybe a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity (especially in MN).

TRAVELING TO PENN STATE

Anyone else heading out to Happy Valley this year? What are your plans? Dad and I are flying out on Thursday and heading up to Cooperstown to check out the baseball hall of fame. Looking at staying around Williamsport the night before the game. For anyone thats been there, what are some must see/do things in the area. Any game day tips/must do's? To say I'm looking forward to this trip is an understatement! SKI-U-MAH!!!

Yeah, PSU boards indicate that hotels in town are 2 night minimum and run around $400+ per night on game weekends. I'd love to do this trip, but logistics seem like a PITA.

you are correct - that is what I had to do - they forced me to book two nights at like $370/night. I think I'm gunna cancel that and go with plan B - what is frustrating though is we still don't have a game time to figure out accommodations - a noon est versus late PM or night game changes everything on your road trip itinerary

There are some companies who rent RVs in the RV tailgate lot where all you need to do is arrive Friday night with your crew and leave Sunday. NittanyRV is one that I was looking at. If you have a crew of 6+ this would be a great way to go.

I flew into Pittsburg and rented a car. Make sure you get to the game early and take the bus down town,. That's worth the trip. I drove back towards Pittsburg and stayed the night. I' m jealous. You will have a ball. I found the Penn State fans to be half-way decent. Nothing like the jerks at Ohio Statevand Mchigan.

we should be undefeated going into this game. could be ranked if we win.

I also heard that Penn State area RV rental service mentioned above is a real great option. I like the idea of rolling into town and just pull up and move in to the RV for a day or three. I think they provide quite a bit of what you need for an elaborate tailgate. I suspect that this is a much better deal than the local hotels, especially if you have a few people.

I figured I'd put this here as well - super pumped to be at this game!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I have family that went to Penn State. Just prepare for a slow go getting out of State College. That all depends of course where you are staying. It is a bad road from State College to Harrisburg and the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Anyone else heading out to Happy Valley this year? What are your plans? Dad and I are flying out on Thursday and heading up to Cooperstown to check out the baseball hall of fame. Looking at staying around Williamsport the night before the game. For anyone thats been there, what are some must see/do things in the area. Any game day tips/must do's? To say I'm looking forward to this trip is an understatement! SKI-U-MAH!!!

OK My dad just happens to be the most awesome man alive. He just agreed to a 5 hour road trip in the morning to get to the game. We have parking passes in the Red Parking Lot. Looking to drive in, tailgate, hit the game and drive back in one day. Hell we did USC tailgate leaving at 4:30 am followed by twins vs angels at night so I think this could rank up there with that. Soooo looking forward to my first trip it Beaver Stadium. If you want to meet up for a joint father son tailgate let me know.

Top Bottom