All Things Northwestern Road Trip Game: Travel Info, Best Bars, Itineraries

dannygopher9100

Reaction score
I haven't seen one yet for Northwestern so I thought I would start it. About 2 weeks until game day and I can't wait! I am heading down with a friend of mine and my dad. Should be a good game and hopefully the Gopher offense shows up.

My father and I are headed down there for the game also. Would be very happy(and appreciative) to get some info on the bar scene and tailgating from other GH members who have been there before.

No liquor sales Saturday morning prior to the game in Chicago, so don't expect a morning a Bloody Mary or Screwdriver at the hotel bar prior to hopping the train to the field. Easy enough to plan for if you know in advance. Thinking of trying Bat 17 which is one train station (Davis) south away from the field station (Central St). Opens at 11am so hitting it after the game, maybe watch next round of games there and then go back downtown. I know we are hitting the Theory bar downtown on Friday night. That was out favorite bar from last time.

All you really need for after the game.

Tiki bars in or near Chicago

Three Dots and a Dash
N Clark St · Tiki bar with classic Polynesian looks
Opens at 5:00 pm

Hala Kahiki Lounge
River Rd · Festive tiki bar with tropical cocktails
Opens at 7:00 pm

Lost Lake
W Diversey Ave · Tiki bar with lots of rum
Opens at 4:00 pm

No liquor sales Saturday morning prior to the game in Chicago, so don't expect a morning a Bloody Mary or Screwdriver at the hotel bar prior to hopping the train to the field. Easy enough to plan for if you know in advance. Thinking of trying Bat 17 which is one train station (Davis) south away from the field station (Central St). Opens at 11am so hitting it after the game, maybe watch next round of games there and then go back downtown. I know we are hitting the Theory bar downtown on Friday night. That was out favorite bar from last time.

You can go to a bar and get a drink starting at 7am on Saturday and 10am on Sunday, and there are some bars open until 4 (or even 5) am in Chicago. Evanston might be different, but Chicago definitely will serve you before the game.

Per the city of Chicago:

Hours of Operation

• Liquor establishments are permitted to operate between the hours of 7:00am and 2:00am Monday-Saturday and close at 3:00am on Sunday.
• Opening hours on Sunday is 10:00am for establishments with a Consumption on Premises – Incidental Activity Liquor License and 11:00am for establishments with a Packaged Goods License or Tavern license.
• Outdoor patios that serve liquor must close by 11:00pm Sunday–Thursday and at midnight on Friday and Saturday.
• A business with a Late Hour Liquor License may remain open until 4:00am Monday–Saturday and until 5:00am on Sunday.

Not going to make the trip this year, but Tommy Nevin's is always a good time.

Looks like there may be more demand for tickets than usual. The cheapest on stubhub right now is over $28. There are many years when you can get them for under $10 at Northwestern.

All you really need for after the game.

Tiki bars in or near Chicago

Three Dots and a Dash
N Clark St · Tiki bar with classic Polynesian looks
Opens at 5:00 pm

Hala Kahiki Lounge
River Rd · Festive tiki bar with tropical cocktails
Opens at 7:00 pm

Lost Lake
W Diversey Ave · Tiki bar with lots of rum
Opens at 4:00 pm

It's kind of a Tiki Paradise!

They moved the visitors section. Looking forward to this game. I am not staying downtown this time. They finally announced the game time. Both teams are struggling on offense and are strong on defense. The only thing is that you can't really park on the street around the stadium.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can go to a bar and get a drink starting at 7am on Saturday and 10am on Sunday, and there are some bars open until 4 (or even 5) am in Chicago. Evanston might be different, but Chicago definitely will serve you before the game.

Per the city of Chicago:

Hours of Operation

• Liquor establishments are permitted to operate between the hours of 7:00am and 2:00am Monday-Saturday and close at 3:00am on Sunday.
• Opening hours on Sunday is 10:00am for establishments with a Consumption on Premises – Incidental Activity Liquor License and 11:00am for establishments with a Packaged Goods License or Tavern license.
• Outdoor patios that serve liquor must close by 11:00pm Sunday–Thursday and at midnight on Friday and Saturday.
• A business with a Late Hour Liquor License may remain open until 4:00am Monday–Saturday and until 5:00am on Sunday.

That may be the ordinance, but that doesn't mean they all serve alcohol. My wife pratically broke her phone calling bars and restaurants looking for a place for our group to have a screwdriver or bloody in Chicago before we headed to Evanston two years ago. Our hotel restaurant didn't serve during breakfast and couldn't name a place around us that did.

Last time we parked for free on campus and took the shuttle. The drive from downtown to Evanston took about 30 minutes when we left 2.5 hours before the game. If you cut it closer you might hit more traffic.

Lived in Evanston for a couple of years. Bluestone is on the same street as the stadium a few blocks to the west and is really good. Prairie Joes is really good breakfast on the same block. Smylie Brothers brew pub is a few blocks south of stadium, been there once and it's good. A stop at Mustards Last Stand next to the stadium is good for a Chicago style dog, very small and will be packed. It gets very congested on Central street (main road into Ryan Field), so get there early.

Lived in Evanston for a couple of years. Bluestone is on the same street as the stadium a few blocks to the west and is really good. Prairie Joes is really good breakfast on the same block. Smylie Brothers brew pub is a few blocks south of stadium, been there once and it's good. A stop at Mustards Last Stand next to the stadium is good for a Chicago style dog, very small and will be packed. It gets very congested on Central street (main road into Ryan Field), so get there early.

Greg Brady should never go to a Tiki Bar, but I agree that Mustards Last Stand is top notch.

5a422c9607881fb4eb95573768e613c8.jpg

I have avoided them for years, got hives when I walked into Psycho Suzies and had to leave. Kinda have a thing about spiders too!

That may be the ordinance, but that doesn't mean they all serve alcohol. My wife pratically broke her phone calling bars and restaurants looking for a place for our group to have a screwdriver or bloody in Chicago before we headed to Evanston two years ago. Our hotel restaurant didn't serve during breakfast and couldn't name a place around us that did.

North of Roosevelt (in south Loop) and at least North to Wacker (downtown) they serve at 7 am

North of Roosevelt (in south Loop) and at least North to Wacker (downtown) they serve at 7 am

Can you give some bar names. I've yelped the area and googled and everyone I go to says they open at 11:00am or 11:30am on Saturday. Starting at McCormick Plaza and radiating out I just can't seem to find anything.

Anyone have any estimations for the amount of Gopher fans going to the game.

Last time we played them there was a strong Gopher showing I would guess around 3-4k.

Feel free to stop on by the Chicago Gophers tailgate! The caterer is partially owned by an alum!

Was in Chicago a couple months ago and never had any issues getting a drink with breakfast downtown, or drink breakfast downtown...however you want to put it.

Last time we played them there was a strong Gopher showing I would guess around 3-4k.

Feel free to stop on by the Chicago Gophers tailgate! The caterer is partially owned by an alum!

Sam, what bars do you recommend for after the game to celebrate the Gopher victory and watch more college football? Two years ago, we went to a variety of the Big 10 bars in Wrigleyville, including Red Ivy. Any other suggestions? I see there is another Gopher bar in Chicago now (Blackfinn). Is that better than Red Ivy? Thanks for your help!

My friend and I are trying to figure out if it's better to drive to Ryan Field or to take public transportation. I'm not aware of the availability of parking around Ryan Field, so I'm not sure which choice is better.

My friend and I are trying to figure out if it's better to drive to Ryan Field or to take public transportation. I'm not aware of the availability of parking around Ryan Field, so I'm not sure which choice is better.

When my brother and I went 2 years ago we took the train to Evanston and that worked out just fine.

Much better off taking the train (Metra) or the EL (CTA), both stop at Central Street and are just a few blocks from the Stadium. There is parking on campus, but you have to take shuttles(if it's a nice morning, it's about a 2 mile walk).

Top Bottom