All Things National/State Parks Thread...

Thanks for bumping this thread. On the way to Duluth this past fall, my friends and I made a stop and a brief hike at Banning State Park. Interesting history and geology; well worth a stop and not far from the Twin Cities.

After your visit, go to the Tower Tap in Kettle River for drinks and food. The owners are fun, and the crowd is merry.

Thanks for bumping this thread. On the way to Duluth this past fall, my friends and I made a stop and a brief hike at Banning State Park. Interesting history and geology; well worth a stop and not far from the Twin Cities.

After your visit, go to the Tower Tap in Kettle River for drinks and food. The owners are fun, and the crowd is merry.
I camped at Banning about 10 years ago and caught more walleyes in the river just fishing from shore than any other place I can recall. I’ve always wanted to get back there for spring fishing.

This past year hit Theodore Roosevelt, Yellowstone, like a few days before the flood, and The Badlands. Yellowstone and the Badlands have seen multiple times, so wasn't as cool. Death Valley, Denali would be great to see. Going to put in a plug for an easy one, Minneopa State Park near Mankato. Little bit hit and miss on the buffalo, but if visiting the day after a decent rain they hang out at a big puddled up area next to the road. Gets so crowded with them that it's one of those, "can't drive because they are blocking the road" type situations.

Rocky Mountain NP is my favorite. I made a 13k altitude hike. Very cool. I also just like the whole area.

Voyaguers National park is a great place to camp and hike. The fishing can be good. It is always fun to take a boat trip to Kettle Falls.

Rocky Mountain NP is my favorite. I made a 13k altitude hike. Very cool. I also just like the whole area.

Voyaguers National park is a great place to camp and hike. The fishing can be good. It is always fun to take a boat trip to Kettle Falls.
Any chance you did a back country hike in Rocky Mountain NP? Im going this summer for 5 days before the Dead show. Want to do a 14er but would be willing to do something else.

Any chance you did a back country hike in Rocky Mountain NP? Im going this summer for 5 days before the Dead show. Want to do a 14er but would be willing to do something else.
I haven't. I just did day hikes so I didn't do any of the really long ones.

One that isn't visited very often and that is pretty unique is "Big Bend" in Texas. Huge park, with lot of nice hiking trails both up in the mountains and along the river. I went in early spring. It could get really hot in the mid-summer months.

A couple smaller parks that are worth a day trip if you're in the area:
Muir Woods - cool that those big redwoods are just across the Golden Gate bridge from downtown San Francisco.
Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield - Just outside Atlanta. Found a tail plaque describing how an Alabama battalion was pounded after firing upon the 1st Minnesotan. Just like the Music City Bowl!

A couple smaller parks that are worth a day trip if you're in the area:
Muir Woods - cool that those big redwoods are just across the Golden Gate bridge from downtown San Francisco.
Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield - Just outside Atlanta. Found a tail plaque describing how an Alabama battalion was pounded after firing upon the 1st Minnesotan. Just like the Music City Bowl!
I was really surprised at just how small Muir Woods was. Cool but very quick.

Had to bump this thread as I recently met someone through work that says him and his wife have now visited all National Parks in the lower 48 and many National Monuments. Amazing.

My dream vacation is still to take the California Zephyr out to Reno and then circle down through Death Valley to Joshua Tree, then back up through Yosemite, Sequoia, etc all the way to Mt Ranier and Olympic.

Rocky Mountain National was a lot of fun last July. I need to go back now that I know how to work their lame reservation system. The backcountry sites (all but one) were pretty cool and I want to see more. Still doesn't come close to Yosemite, Yellowstone, and Glacier imo though.

Mackinac island used to be a national park.
My memory is a little blurry for selective reasons but as a 5 year old, I might've pooped myself in the haunted house there. My parents still get real joy telling that story to their friends.

Top Bottom