All Things Movie/Documentary Reviews/Recommendations Thread

Headed out on date night with the Mrs. tonight and went to "Free Guy". Big Ryan Reynolds fan, but wasn't too sure about the previews and what the storyline was/would be going in but if the butter is right on the popcorn, I can sit through anything.

I'm almost surprised to say, it was one helluva movie. I loved it, beginning to end, it was a great flick. Not entirely Reynolds one-liners for laughs like it could have been, it was solid all the way around.

I'm here to give it two enthusiastic thumbs up. Give a look, and get your ass back in the theater if you haven't done so in a long time
Good to hear. I thought it looked really good.

Really wasn't sure what to expect....especially with the poster giving off a pretty dark vibe.....but 'Pig' was great. Not what I thought it was going to be. That's a good thing. Really well written and acted all the way around.

Headed out on date night with the Mrs. tonight and went to "Free Guy". Big Ryan Reynolds fan, but wasn't too sure about the previews and what the storyline was/would be going in but if the butter is right on the popcorn, I can sit through anything.

I'm almost surprised to say, it was one helluva movie. I loved it, beginning to end, it was a great flick. Not entirely Reynolds one-liners for laughs like it could have been, it was solid all the way around.

I'm here to give it two enthusiastic thumbs up. Give a look, and get your ass back in the theater if you haven't done so in a long time

Love Jodie Comer. 'Killing Eve' is a really good show.

On Netflix watched Untold: Malice at the Palace -Big brawl in 2004 and told from the perspective of Reggie Miller, Jermaine O'Neal, Stephen Jackson, Donnie Walsh and of course Ron Artest. They also interview some fans, police, etc.
Very interesting.

Well.....Malignant just jumped to the top of the list of craziest things I've ever watched. Watch it at your own peril. It cannot be unseen.

On Netflix watched Untold: Malice at the Palace -Big brawl in 2004 and told from the perspective of Reggie Miller, Jermaine O'Neal, Stephen Jackson, Donnie Walsh and of course Ron Artest. They also interview some fans, police, etc.
Very interesting.
There's a series of different Untold documentaries. There's one called Untold: Crime & Penalties that's about a minor league hockey team in Connecticut with mob ties. I thought it was really interesting and entertaining. Haven't watched it yet but there's also one about Mardy Fish that is supposed to be good.

I saw Nomadland, the accolades are well deserved, though it's surely not a film for everyone. The word "somber" does not do it justice, but I was fascinated throughout the journey. Cinematography was quite good, I wish I had seen it in a theater. It's a typical stellar performance by Frances McDormand, right up there with all her best. I think I would have voted Promising Young Woman for Best Picture, but as for Best Actress, toss up between McDormand and Carey Mulligan.

Another recent viewing was Palm Springs starring Andy Samberg. Thumbs up, I took a chance just based on having liked a couple of other movies he has starred in, Hot Rod and Popstar. I really knew nothing about it other than it got generally favorable reviews, and I think that's best to avoid all spoilers. JK Simmons has a nice supporting role in it.

Very interesting.
Thought it was excellent.

Very interesting.
I haven't watched it yet, but I do remember when it happened, etc.. I will be interested in if my viewpoint changes from what I thought at the time. When it happened, I was 100% on the player's side and didn't have a problem with the fans getting a beatdown. I do seem to remember one of the wrong fans got hit, but I again thought most of them deserved it.

AXS TV is running a series of music documentaries on Wednesday night.

Last week, showed "20 feet from Stardom," a 2013 doc about background singers. Very entertaining.
Great segment on Merry Clayton. she tells a great story about getting called in the middle of the night and getting out of bed to come down to the studio, where she sang the "rape, murder" part on the Stones' "Gimme Shelter." Lot of good stuff with Darlene Love, who sang lead without credit on a lot of singles produced by Phil Spector.

AXS TV is running a series of music documentaries on Wednesday night.

Last week, showed "20 feet from Stardom," a 2013 doc about background singers. Very entertaining.
Great segment on Merry Clayton. she tells a great story about getting called in the middle of the night and getting out of bed to come down to the studio, where she sang the "rape, murder" part on the Stones' "Gimme Shelter." Lot of good stuff with Darlene Love, who sang lead without credit on a lot of singles produced by Phil Spector.
Lisa Fischer was in town at the Dakota not long after that came out. I was thinking about going but I think the movie gave her a well deserved bump. Tickets were spendy and gone fast.

I saw Nomadland, the accolades are well deserved, though it's surely not a film for everyone. The word "somber" does not do it justice, but I was fascinated throughout the journey. Cinematography was quite good, I wish I had seen it in a theater. It's a typical stellar performance by Frances McDormand, right up there with all her best. I think I would have voted Promising Young Woman for Best Picture, but as for Best Actress, toss up between McDormand and Carey Mulligan.

Another recent viewing was Palm Springs starring Andy Samberg. Thumbs up, I took a chance just based on having liked a couple of other movies he has starred in, Hot Rod and Popstar. I really knew nothing about it other than it got generally favorable reviews, and I think that's best to avoid all spoilers. JK Simmons has a nice supporting role in it.

Frances McDormand is great in everything. And I can watch anything with Andy Samberg. Hot Rod is great outside of a couple cringy moments. Chris Redd cracked me up hard in Popstar. And as much flack as Adam Sandler takes......"That's My Boy" is a pretty damn funny movie.

Frances McDormand is great in everything. And I can watch anything with Andy Samberg. Hot Rod is great outside of a couple cringy moments. Chris Redd cracked me up hard in Popstar. And as much flack as Adam Sandler takes......"That's My Boy" is a pretty damn funny movie.
Celeste and Jesse forever was another good Samberg flick. Good chemistry with Rashida Jones.

Heres one I Do Not recommend: The Breaking Bad series on Netflix. Brings you down man.

Recently I watched Highwaymen with Costner and Harrelson. Its a winner except you know the ending all along: Bonnie and Clyde die.

Watched The Hunt as apart of my 31 Days of Horror contest...

Really entertaining movie. And actually a pretty thoughtful modern inspection of the "us vs them" political hellscape we have gotten ourselves into. Ironically, Trump actually proved the film's thesis when he blacklisted it without even seeing it.

Heres one I Do Not recommend: The Breaking Bad series on Netflix. Brings you down man.

Recently I watched Highwaymen with Costner and Harrelson. Its a winner except you know the ending all along: Bonnie and Clyde die.

You are in the tiniest minority. Many (not me) consider it to be a top five.....or even the best show ever made. I thought it was very good.....but I prefer the Breaking Bad spinoff....Better Call Saul with Bob Odenkirk. Definitely a lighter show.....but still has a similar tone.

I hadn't watched any of it until recently and I made the mistake of binge watching too many episodes. God, now I know what the inside of a black hole is like, you know those distant objects that suck up all matter and light.

I never much cared for David Cronenberg films, but I just finished watching 'Dead Ringers' for the first time. That's one hell of a movie. Jeremy Irons deserved AT LEAST a nomination.

Think I'm going to try and watch Jacob's Ladder sometime this weekend.

I never much cared for David Cronenberg films, but I just finished watching 'Dead Ringers' for the first time. That's one hell of a movie. Jeremy Irons deserved AT LEAST a nomination.

Man, that's a double does of disturbing movies right there. Good ones though.

Made the mistake of taking a date to Ringers... major mood killer.

I haven't watched it yet, but I do remember when it happened, etc.. I will be interested in if my viewpoint changes from what I thought at the time. When it happened, I was 100% on the player's side and didn't have a problem with the fans getting a beatdown. I do seem to remember one of the wrong fans got hit, but I again thought most of them deserved it.
Just seeing this. I saw the doc. Really well done and worth your time. I'll be curious to see what you think.

Watched the docuseries on HBO Max called "The Way Down". Covers a religious cult in the south. Gwen Shamblin is pure evil.

The series itself was ok. Kinda all over the place.

Just seeing this. I saw the doc. Really well done and worth your time. I'll be curious to see what you think.
Remember the fan resembling Turtle from Entourage who ran onto the court and was fortunate Jermaine O’Neal didn’t send him into space? He’s even more despicable after watching this doc.

Nothing on the new Bond movie yet?? Come on!

I'm taking Mrs. Ogee to this movie today, late matinee, for a date before I bail to go hunting for a few weeks. Looking forward to it! As usual, if the popcorn is good and has enough butter, that's 75% of the battle.

Nothing on the new Bond movie yet?? Come on!

I'm taking Mrs. Ogee to this movie today, late matinee, for a date before I bail to go hunting for a few weeks. Looking forward to it! As usual, if the popcorn is good and has enough butter, that's 75% of the battle.
I've heard it's great.

Where are you going hunting? My dad is in Colorado elk hunting right now. He's gone with his group for 30 years or so. It's been awhile since I've gone but am hoping to get out there next year.

I've heard it's great.

Where are you going hunting? My dad is in Colorado elk hunting right now. He's gone with his group for 30 years or so. It's been awhile since I've gone but am hoping to get out there next year.
One week in ND for snow geese (first time for me!) before the annual week plus in SD for pheasant. Looking forward to getting on the road with my two labs and driving across the country, meet my hunting buddy who's coming over from MN. The dogs can already tell the time is near, I can sense the excitement and them wondering when it's time to get in the back of the Excursion and settle in for the long drive! Most reasonable people would dread the 20-22 hour drive each way but it doesn't phase me a bit.

Just gotta decide which guns to bring. Fall is the best time of year, I don't think it matters where you are. It's just awesome.

Finished Squid Game finally. 5/5 from me.

seen Dune yet? i think you were the one posting about looking forward to it.

i havent watched a movie in the theaters in years. i might break that habit for Dune

Top Bottom