All Things Movie/Documentary Reviews/Recommendations Thread

Rented UNCLE for 1.99 on Apple TV 4k-HDR. Very entertaining, action packed, 8 of 10 rating.

In reference to 1917 being shot to look like one continuous take. Alfred Hitchcock did that with a movie called "Rope." it was based on a real life story about two spoiled rich kids who commit a murder just to see if they could get away with it. Hitchcock shot the movie in continuous 20-minute segments and then used editing tricks to disguise the cuts from one segment to the next, so it looked like the entire movie played out in real time with no cuts. It's not considered one of Hitchcock's best movies. Known today mainly for the technique.
Rope is an incredible movie

I mentioned over in the 4K thread: my daughter bought a student subscription to Disney +, and she's invited us to schlep off her and enjoy it ourselves. I hadn't considered signing up for it myself, but the three of us browsed through the available titles last night, and holy F! Disney has the rights to way more than I thought, and so many in 4K!! Titles like Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music are in ordinary HD, so a blu-ray on an upscaling player will still give you a better picture, but I figure it's only a matter of time before 4K transfers of those classic films are made.

In the meantime, I'm planning on catching up on some of the older live-action Disney classics from the 40s and 50s, and I've recommended films like Tron (1982) and The Black Hole to my daughter. We'd always planned to watch those as a family but ran out of time as they grew up. Funny: when she first signed up a few weeks ago, she texted saying how excited she was that all the Herbie movies we watched together were in there. I told her last night that she can watch them with HER kids someday.

I mentioned over in the 4K thread: my daughter bought a student subscription to Disney +, and she's invited us to schlep off her and enjoy it ourselves. I hadn't considered signing up for it myself, but the three of us browsed through the available titles last night, and holy F! Disney has the rights to way more than I thought, and so many in 4K!! Titles like Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music are in ordinary HD, so a blu-ray on an upscaling player will still give you a better picture, but I figure it's only a matter of time before 4K transfers of those classic films are made.

In the meantime, I'm planning on catching up on some of the older live-action Disney classics from the 40s and 50s, and I've recommended films like Tron (1982) and The Black Hole to my daughter. We'd always planned to watch those as a family but ran out of time as they grew up. Funny: when she first signed up a few weeks ago, she texted saying how excited she was that all the Herbie movies we watched together were in there. I told her last night that she can watch them with HER kids someday.
We have Disney+ and I can’t believe all of the older Disney that I totally forgot about. I love the Kurt Russell stuff, like Strongest Man in the World and The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes. There’s also a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Honey I Shrunk the Kids (and sequels). It’s totally worth having

We have Disney+ and I can’t believe all of the older Disney that I totally forgot about. I love the Kurt Russell stuff, like Strongest Man in the World and The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes. There’s also a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Honey I Shrunk the Kids (and sequels). It’s totally worth having
It's a frickin treasure trove.

A lot of the cartoons are in there, but a lot aren't...yet. I'll wait patiently for Sport Goofy to show up.

It's a frickin treasure trove.

A lot of the cartoons are in there, but a lot aren't...yet. I'll wait patiently for Sport Goofy to show up.
Yeah there’s definitely some stuff to add still. I’m sure if they start “adding too much”, that’ll just give them reason to jack up the price for the service though. I’m surprised it’s as cheap as it is right now.

And "Black Mirror" on Netflix is also worth the time to take a look. Each tale tells a story of the near future, as in 5 years from now. The first season aired about 5 years ago, and some of the tails (e.g., social metric scores in China) have already come true.

And "Black Mirror" on Netflix is also worth the time to take a look. Each tale tells a story of the near future, as in 5 years from now. The first season aired about 5 years ago, and some of the tails (e.g., social metric scores in China) have already come true.
Black Mirror is awesome, watched every episode

Yeah, Black Mirror is great. I was disappointed that they advertised this "new season" and it only amounted to, what.....three episodes and the movie?

And.....as for the streaming services......they must be doing pretty well. I have most already. Think I'm going to sign up for Hulu now too.

Live TV is a disgrace, other than the news and sports.

Can't watch it. Can't do commercials. It's disgraceful how many there are, and how often. Can't do it.

HULU is a must, if you like network TV shows. Cuts out the commercials.

Can't watch it. Can't do commercials. It's disgraceful how many there are, and how often. Can't do it.

I keep the mute button handy when watching TV, usually CNN or MSNBC, which both have way too many commercials. Soon as one comes on, I l hit mute. The advertising jingles are especially pernicious. They stick and tend to replay in one's mind.

I deal with Live TV pretty much specifically for sports. I'll be going with YouTube TV when I buy my next place and then deal with streaming services. I think that there are quite a few nice streaming boxes that allow you to basically consolidate all show/movie options from all services you have in one place. I know that you can search from them across the streaming services.

I hear you, but I have no desire to do that. Don't need to. Way too many good options that are commercial free. Netflix, HULU, HBO, Showtime ... even YouTube itself (the regular user-content streaming) is exponentially better, than live TV.

I deal with Live TV pretty much specifically for sports. I'll be going with YouTube TV when I buy my next place and then deal with streaming services. I think that there are quite a few nice streaming boxes that allow you to basically consolidate all show/movie options from all services you have in one place. I know that you can search from them across the streaming services.
Ruku has this feature. You can use its search function to look for a specific show or movie, and it will show you all options for streaming it, including for purchase if you're interested in that.

Can't say enough good things about the TCL TV that I have, which has Roku built in.

Just finished The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez. I was so mad through all 6 episodes. Just heartbreaking.

Who’s seen Tiger King yet? Hearing it’s crazy.

Kill Chain: The cyber war on Americas Election on HBO was good. Also very alarming how easily the machines can be hacked

Started watching the Hillary docu-series on Hulu the other night. Really enjoyed the first episode.

It's really eye-opening to see people behind the scenes, rather than their public facing "image".

Going way back in time, "Dial M for Murder" was really good, surprised me. Guess I should watch more Hitchcock movies...

The ratings for the MJ documentary will be massive:

Go Gophers!!

Just finished The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez. I was so mad through all 6 episodes. Just heartbreaking.

Who’s seen Tiger King yet? Hearing it’s crazy.

Just finished Tiger King. Then, I looked at the Things To Do in Tampa Thread for the Outback Bowl - “Big Cat Rescue looks interesting” comment in the post. Chuckle - oh it’s interesting all right, watch Tiger King.

Okay, I watched more Hitchcock. "Rear Window" is a great one for tips on how to survive a home quarantine.
I had "Rear Window" recorded on DVR and finally watched it the other day. I have to say, it wasn't that great. Maybe at the time that was some major shit for suspense but I was expecting a little more

I had "Rear Window" recorded on DVR and finally watched it the other day. I have to say, it wasn't that great. Maybe at the time that was some major shit for suspense but I was expecting a little more
What? Grace Kelly alone makes it great.

I like Hitchcock movies but some of them tend to be very "talky" when measured by today's standards.

Top Bottom