All Things Movie/Documentary Reviews/Recommendations Thread

Apparently 30 years since the original, a studio feels a Top Gun sequel is necessary:

Do you feel the need? The need for a “Top Gun” sequel?

Rumors of “Top Gun 2″ have swirled since the original touched down in 1986. Skydance CEO David Ellison confirmed that the project is in development and revealed its plot details at a “Terminator Genisys” press junket in Berlin, Collider reports.

“Justin Marks is writing the screenplay right now,” Ellison said. “He has a phenomenal take to really update that world for what fighter pilots in the Navy has turned into today.”

He added, “It is very much a world we live in today where it’s drone technology and fifth generation fighters … It’s really exploring the end of an era of dogfighting and fighter pilots and what that culture is today.”

Fans of the original film will be delighted to know that Ellison hinted that Tom Cruise will reprise his role. “There is an amazing role for Maverick in the movie, and there is no ‘Top Gun’ without Maverick, and it is going to be Maverick playing Maverick,” Ellison said.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/top-gun-2-maverick-drone-warfare-1201529697/

Go Gophers!!

Three or four years ago I'm putzin around the Oshkosh air show and walk by this pole building where a guy is giving a slide presentation. I stop to listen and am soon captivated by the demeanor of the speaker who, although older, is articulate, focused and robust. While painting his autobiographical picture he drops some dates and his age at the times, and quickly doing the math (in my head because I'm sharp) I realize holy sh*t this guy has to be 89 or 90 years old and he's damn near as sharp as I am! Turns out I'm listening to Clarence "Bud" Anderson relate his wartime experiences as a fighter pilot in Europe during WWII. The guy flew a sh*t ton of missions in a P51 Mustang fighter plane he named "Old Crow" after the bourbon (or maybe his mother-in-law, I can't remember which) and was considered a Triple Ace for all the air kills he got.
Anyway, during the presentation, a strong storm blew through flipping some planes and damn near knocking over the building we were in. As people were looking for places to hide, Bud just stood on the stage and kind of laughed. When the storm blew past, he told the audience "if youall put those chairs back up and sit down, I'll finish my story". The guy still had nerves of steel.
No, I don't feel the need for another movie with Tom Cruise talking smart and trying to get into Kelly McGinnis' knickers. I would like to see a movie made about Bud Anderson. ;)

A documentary on Chris Farley comes out next month:

Go Gophers!!

Wild Tales. It's a foreign film from Argentina. Six crazy over the top revenge type stories in one movie.

So good.

Inside out

Imaginative movie, not just for kids. There does seem to be a gay subtext running through it but the little ones, say less than 7 years old, won't notice.

We went and saw Trainwreck last night. It was pretty funny. Amy Schumer was great in it, and there were some solid cameos, with King James doing a surprisingly good job.

Go Gophers!!

AXS TV runs this show called "Nothing but Trailers" where they show a block of movie trailers.
One that looks interesting is "The Finest Hours" - one of these "based on real life" films about a Coast Guard rescue mission, starring Chris Pine.

And, I have to admit, I'm curious about the new "Star Wars" movie. Yes, the prequels left a bad taste for a lot of fans, but the trailer for the new movie seems to indicate they're going back to the formula of the original trilogy.

Also interesting that there are competing Steve Jobs movies coming out - a Documentary, and a feature movie starring Michael Fassbender.

Three or four years ago I'm putzin around the Oshkosh air show and walk by this pole building where a guy is giving a slide presentation. I stop to listen and am soon captivated by the demeanor of the speaker who, although older, is articulate, focused and robust. While painting his autobiographical picture he drops some dates and his age at the times, and quickly doing the math (in my head because I'm sharp) I realize holy sh*t this guy has to be 89 or 90 years old and he's damn near as sharp as I am! Turns out I'm listening to Clarence "Bud" Anderson relate his wartime experiences as a fighter pilot in Europe during WWII. The guy flew a sh*t ton of missions in a P51 Mustang fighter plane he named "Old Crow" after the bourbon (or maybe his mother-in-law, I can't remember which) and was considered a Triple Ace for all the air kills he got.
Anyway, during the presentation, a strong storm blew through flipping some planes and damn near knocking over the building we were in. As people were looking for places to hide, Bud just stood on the stage and kind of laughed. When the storm blew past, he told the audience "if youall put those chairs back up and sit down, I'll finish my story". The guy still had nerves of steel.
No, I don't feel the need for another movie with Tom Cruise talking smart and trying to get into Kelly McGinnis' knickers. I would like to see a movie made about Bud Anderson. ;)

Good story. Not too many WWII veterans left. I met one of the original flag raisers of Iwo Jima, he's since passed away. My next door neighbor, who just recently died, was shot down twice over the English Channel. Neither man had an ounce of bravado while telling me their tale.

Good story. Not too many WWII veterans left. I met one of the original flag raisers of Iwo Jima, he's since passed away. My next door neighbor, who just recently died, was shot down twice over the English Channel. Neither man had an ounce of bravado while telling me their tale.
DH, you should be taking notes here.

A funny contrarian take on Daniel-son in Karate Kid:

Go Gophers!!

We watched the movie "Focus" last night on Netflix with Will Smith. It started out fun and interesting for the first third or so, then bombed. Just a brutal last half+.

Delete from your queue if you have it on there.

Go Gophers!!

We watched the movie "Focus" last night on Netflix with Will Smith. It started out fun and interesting for the first third or so, then bombed. Just a brutal last half+. Delete from your queue if you have it on there. Go Gophers!!

Took my son to see The Martian last night. Wonderful movie. Entertaining and makes you look forward to deeper space exploration in our lifetime.

I just watched Beasts of no Nation it was really good. I also liked Martian a lot. Whiplash is riveting! Calvary with Brendan Gleeson was a little too dark for my tastes. I saw True Story with James Franco and Jonah Hill on a flight to Europe. For a film I hadn't head of it was decent.

I love that movie. Gene Wilder is a national treasure.

When I was young I thought the movie was very creepy (even as an adult it kinda is). I never watched the full movie until I was in my 20's.

When I was young I thought the movie was very creepy (even as an adult it kinda is). I never watched the full movie until I was in my 20's.

It's creepy alright. Wonka is menacing. Who knows what actually became of the losers!

We went and saw the movie Spotlight this weekend. It was an interesting movie with some great acting. Michael Keaton and Mark Ruffalo were really good.

Go Gophers!!

Just watched the 30 for 30 Chasing Tyson. I had forgot how awesome and crazy boxing was in the late 80's to mid 90's. I remember watching the first Tyson-Holyfield fight at a friend's house.

Saw Creed last night. Loved it. I recommend it for anyone that likes the Rocky movies.

We went and saw the movie Spotlight this weekend. It was an interesting movie with some great acting. Michael Keaton and Mark Ruffalo were really good.

Go Gophers!!

Enjoyed that one also. Hope to see "The Big Short" next week.

Anyone see True Story? I watched it on an airplane recently. I was...dissapointed. I couldn't tell if I was upset with the acting or the story. Couldn't tell if Hill and Franco were handicapped by a bad story. Franco is a decent actor so I was surprised that he didn't play the "crazy guy" role very well. Jonah Hill is also pretty good for a laugh and when he doesn't have to carry a movie. All his great performances are when he is carried by the likes of Brad Pitt and Leo.

Anyone see True Story? I watched it on an airplane recently. I was...dissapointed. I couldn't tell if I was upset with the acting or the story. Couldn't tell if Hill and Franco were handicapped by a bad story. Franco is a decent actor so I was surprised that he didn't play the "crazy guy" role very well. Jonah Hill is also pretty good for a laugh and when he doesn't have to carry a movie. All his great performances are when he is carried by the likes of Brad Pitt and Leo.

I've been close to pulling the trigger on this one through Red Box but always seem to click on something else. I would still like to see it, just not sure when I'll make it happen.

movies

I had the exact opposite opinion. I had never heard of the movie, but I am a movie fan. I like both Hill and Franco. I looked it up on IMDB and it had a bad rating of 6.3 and watched it anyway. It was a 7 to me. Franco's acting wasn't great, I liked Hills. First time director.

I recently watched Montage of Heck: curt cobain story. Excellent story very personal. Interlaced with Nirvana's music and it really showed his story when writing those songs.

Southpaw was also pretty good. I liked the side story more than the boxing story.

Anyone see True Story? I watched it on an airplane recently. I was...dissapointed. I couldn't tell if I was upset with the acting or the story. Couldn't tell if Hill and Franco were handicapped by a bad story. .

I recently watched Montage of Heck: curt cobain story. Excellent story very personal. Interlaced with Nirvana's music and it really showed his story when writing those songs.

I watched that a couple months ago - and should have included it in that other thread of music docs. It gave me an insight into his personality and character than I ever have before. He was such a mystery man; this illuminated a real person behind the persona. He was actually a very dear guy. It seems that he and Courtney were on a collision course with disaster from the start and that there was no way for them to avoid drug problems.

Top Bottom