All Things Movie/Documentary Reviews/Recommendations Thread

A & E Network had another one of their 'sexy' documentaries this week.

4 hours on Bob Guccione, founder and former publisher of Penthouse. It was pretty much what you might expect. Bob had sex with a lot of the Pets. Some of the Pets felt exploited. Bob spent money like water and eventually ran out of money. the section on the movie "Caligula" was interesting.

some of the more interesting stuff involved Bob's relationship with his kids. He had 3 sons and a daughter, and by the time he died, he wasn't speaking to any of them. One of his sons literally could not be found - even his siblings have no idea where he is. one son and his daughter agreed to be interviewed for the documentary.

A&E has previously done documentaries on Playboy and Chippendales. they must think this type of material gets good ratings.

Just stumbled onto this board. Couple interesting docs my wife and I watched recently on Max are "McMillions" and "Telemarketers". Telemarketers will really piss you off.

Just saw Equalizer 3 and it didn't disappoint. Can't go wrong with Denzel. On a side note very annoying to me that Hollywood will place bad guys from any country in the world, but never for from China. I understand why, but just annoying that one of the most evil govts in the world is given special treatment.

Just finished Guy Ritchie’s The Covenant on Amazon Prime. Intense. Liked it.

I keep seeing that and thinking about watching it. Not sure if Mrs. Ogee would like it but I'm interested. i'm a Guy Ritchie fan!

We just started "Florida Man" on Netflix; only one episode in, we'll see how it goes.

Is anyone actually planning on going to this movie, "Killers of the Flower Moon"? Based on the previews, its hard to see much of anything good about it, particularly the length.

Scorcese Defends Insane Runtime of "Killers of the Flower Moon"

I love a good longer movie actually, more bang for the buck, but 3.5 hours is nuts, and this movie just doesn't look very good at all. Like not even a little bit.

Is anyone actually planning on going to this movie, "Killers of the Flower Moon"? Based on the previews, its hard to see much of anything good about it, particularly the length.

Scorcese Defends Insane Runtime of "Killers of the Flower Moon"

I love a good longer movie actually, more bang for the buck, but 3.5 hours is nuts, and this movie just doesn't look very good at all. Like not even a little bit.
I'm not sure why you are writing it off, 97% on Rotten Tomatoes from 74 reviewers. Must be some merit.

Oppenheimer was 3 hrs long, and that one just flew by.

I plan on going.

Last edited:

Will watch "Killers of the Harvest Moon". Buddy read the book and been pushing us to go see it when it came out. If we don't go will rent it online and watch it but in segments.

Will watch "Killers of the Harvest Moon". Buddy read the book and been pushing us to go see it when it came out. If we don't go will rent it online and watch it but in segments.

I have heard of a number of people who said the book was a great, great read. Not my type of content, but it'll be interesting to see how it translates to the big screen. I'll skip it, but like any other big-time productions, I'm interested to see how it does at the box office and what people think.

"Flower Moon" is one of those prestige pictures. Scorsese - DiCaprio - DeNiro.
other points - historical drama -"based on a true story" - topical issues (treatment of a minority group)

this is lined up to be Oscar bait.

might be a very fine film, but 3-1/2 hours in a theater is a real red flag for me. either have to wear Depends or run to the bathroom a couple of times.

I am old enough to remember when longer movies had intermissions. saw "How the West was Won" in the theater with my Grandmother (I was 7 when it came out) and there was an intermission. the film score included music that played during the break.

I am old enough to remember when longer movies had intermissions. saw "How the West was Won" in the theater with my Grandmother (I was 7 when it came out) and there was an intermission. the film score included music that played during the break.
These are the movies I recall seeing in a theater that have an intermission:

Re-releases:
2001, A Space Odyssey
Spartacus
Lawrence of Arabia

First Run:
The Right Stuff
Reds
Gandhi
Strange Brew (gag)

"Flower Moon" is one of those prestige pictures. Scorsese - DiCaprio - DeNiro.
other points - historical drama -"based on a true story" - topical issues (treatment of a minority group)

this is lined up to be Oscar bait.
Jason Isbell has a small role in it, so I'm all in.

I saw Dumb Money. While not a spectacular movie, I think it's good and worth the time. I was engaged throughout. Stellar ensemble cast led by Paul Dano, no weak link.

This isn't a new doc, but I just found it. Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals on HBO. It's fantastic.

I went to see The Talking Heads Stop Making Sense at The Riverview on Friday. Absolutely amazing to see it on a full screen with a jubilant crowd.
It's showing on weekdays at the Riverview at 3:15. Play hooky people, go go go!

I did go see Killers of the Flower Moon and I think it's really good. If one is against going to 3.5 hr long movies, I won't attempt to try to convince anyone that it's worth their time. I made it throughout with having to run to the bathroom, so it can be done.

It is methodical and very little levity on a serious subject matter, but I enjoyed it throughout.

DiCaprio and DeNiro are on there A game, I did not realize they have not been in the same movie since This Boy's Life. That one is also a rather antagonizing "father type-son" relationship. Lily Gladstone I have very little doubt will be recognized in Awards season.

There are lots of musicians that make cameos such as Sturgill Simpson, Pete Yorn and Jack White. Jason Isbell's role is more than a cameo, as it's rather pivotal as he plays a brother-in-law character to that of DiCaprio. He holds up rather well, in my biased opinion.

Jesse Plemons also gives a typical stellar performance in the 3rd act as do John Lithgow & Brendan Fraser late in the film.

Score was done quite well by Robbie Robertson and the movie is dedicated in his honor.

in Movie news, sounds like progress is being made on the actors' strike. SAG-AFTRA and the AMPTP (producers and studios) had a long session Wednesday and are scheduled to meet again on Thursday.

according to reports, most issues appear to have been resolved but the last sticking point involves AI.

the TV side of the industry wants to try and salvage some of the '23-'24 TV season, while the movie studios need to get films completed if they want to have product to release in 2024.

in Movie news, sounds like progress is being made on the actors' strike. SAG-AFTRA and the AMPTP (producers and studios) had a long session Wednesday and are scheduled to meet again on Thursday.

according to reports, most issues appear to have been resolved but the last sticking point involves AI.

the TV side of the industry wants to try and salvage some of the '23-'24 TV season, while the movie studios need to get films completed if they want to have product to release in 2024.
The SAG-AFTRA strike is over.

Watched The Killer starring Michael Fassbender on Netflix. Too cerebral for me. Gets a 7.2 on IMDB. I give it about a 5.5
Guess I was expecting more action.

Watched "Facing Nolan" the other night. If you're an 80's baseball fan and/or a fan of Nolan Ryan, check it out. Thought it was well done and interesting. Can't believe that he has zero Cy Young awards. Neither could George Brett from his reaction in the film.

Most interesting thing to me was when they talked about how he was clocked throwing 101 mph with old speed detectors. They claimed in the movie that they went back and studied his video with todays technology and his fastballs would have clocked at 108!

Watched "Facing Nolan" the other night. If you're an 80's baseball fan and/or a fan of Nolan Ryan, check it out. Thought it was well done and interesting. Can't believe that he has zero Cy Young awards. Neither could George Brett from his reaction in the film.

Most interesting thing to me was when they talked about how he was clocked throwing 101 mph with old speed detectors. They claimed in the movie that they went back and studied his video with todays technology and his fastballs would have clocked at 108!
If you look at his season stats, it becomes pretty apparent why he didn't win a CY Young award. His best season win wise was only 22. He only had two 20 win seasons. Both of those seasons saw era's around 2.87.. There were other pitchers both years with much better stats and Nolan had 16 losses both seasons as well.
Great pitcher no doubt, but he never had that one incredible season.

Watched The Killer starring Michael Fassbender on Netflix. Too cerebral for me. Gets a 7.2 on IMDB. I give it about a 5.5
Guess I was expecting more action.

We just watched this last night. I liked the cerebral nature of it to start, I thought it was going to go in a different direction. I did like it, just not sure I loved it. I thought the first 20 mins or so were great, then not so sure? I wouldn't NOT recommend it, but I wouldn't say you absolutely HAVE to see it

I saw The Holdovers today and I recommend it strongly.

About 2 minutes in, given the movie is set in 1970 I knew that the soundtrack would feature Cat Stevens. It certainly did.

I realize it's rather early to tout movies as being Oscar worthy, but I saw Past Lives last night and it is fantastic. I highly recommend it. Just like in this review, while I was watching the film, it reminded me of the Richard Linklater trilogy, Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight both in tone (also in story).

I saw it at the remodeled Edina Theater (Mann) on 50th & France. I really like what they have done to the place.
I was quite pleased to see Past Lives rack up several Golden Globe nominations including, Best Picture/Drama, Director, Actress/Drama, Screenplay and Foreign Language Film.

It deserves the recognition. I hope this and other awards spur more to give it a look.

It's well worth it.

I was quite pleased to see Past Lives rack up several Golden Globe nominations including, Best Picture/Drama, Director, Actress/Drama, Screenplay and Foreign Language Film.

It deserves the recognition. I hope this and other awards spur more to give it a look.

It's well worth it.

What about boobs? Is there boobs in it?

Top Bottom