All Things MN United Season Thread

I bought tickets to this game months ago, didn't occur to me that the timing would be during the international tournaments. This is unacceptable for MLS to do this. It makes our league look worse than it is because we play during these breaks with second team players.
Financially, you can't really shut down MLS for that many weeks, but some items you could do:
  • During those weeks, instead of regular season games have a MLS vs Liga tournament.
  • If that doesn't work, then at least help teams that are missing a lot of international players (say four or more) by (a) allowing for unlimited transfers from their tier 2 team to the MLS team and/or (b) letting those teams sign players to short-term contracts vs waiting until the transfer window finally opens and/or (c) if a player has to sit out for a game due to cards, let the team postpone that "sit out" until a later date when they get back to a full roster.

like it or not, MLS is a minor league in the world soccer scene. so the big international tournaments are not going to take the MLS schedule into consideration.

one suggestion I've heard is that the MLS could adopt a European-style schedule - but that would mean playing through the Winter. that poses obvious issues for teams in the northern states or teams that don't have a domed facility.

another option would be to start the MLS season 2 weeks earlier and run it 2 weeks later - then just shut down the league for a month to accommodate the international schedule.

Loons fall to Vancouver 3-1 on Wednesday.

1st time as an MLS club that MN United has lost 5 games in a row. in the last 9 games, the Loons have 1 win and 5 points. currently 9th in the standings, 2 pts ahead of Austin.

among the miscues - a bad pass by Boxall led to a Vancouver goal about 3 minutes into the match. and Rosales had a penalty kick but misfired and it was a relatively easy save.

Canada plays Venezuela in Copa America on Friday. If Canada loses, the Loons could have Dayne St. Clair and Tani Oluwaseyi back in time for Sunday's match vs the LA Galaxy. Teemu Pukki could also potentially return from injury by Sunday.

Top Bottom