All Things MN United Season Thread

I bought tickets to this game months ago, didn't occur to me that the timing would be during the international tournaments. This is unacceptable for MLS to do this. It makes our league look worse than it is because we play during these breaks with second team players.
Financially, you can't really shut down MLS for that many weeks, but some items you could do:
  • During those weeks, instead of regular season games have a MLS vs Liga tournament.
  • If that doesn't work, then at least help teams that are missing a lot of international players (say four or more) by (a) allowing for unlimited transfers from their tier 2 team to the MLS team and/or (b) letting those teams sign players to short-term contracts vs waiting until the transfer window finally opens and/or (c) if a player has to sit out for a game due to cards, let the team postpone that "sit out" until a later date when they get back to a full roster.

like it or not, MLS is a minor league in the world soccer scene. so the big international tournaments are not going to take the MLS schedule into consideration.

one suggestion I've heard is that the MLS could adopt a European-style schedule - but that would mean playing through the Winter. that poses obvious issues for teams in the northern states or teams that don't have a domed facility.

another option would be to start the MLS season 2 weeks earlier and run it 2 weeks later - then just shut down the league for a month to accommodate the international schedule.

Loons fall to Vancouver 3-1 on Wednesday.

1st time as an MLS club that MN United has lost 5 games in a row. in the last 9 games, the Loons have 1 win and 5 points. currently 9th in the standings, 2 pts ahead of Austin.

among the miscues - a bad pass by Boxall led to a Vancouver goal about 3 minutes into the match. and Rosales had a penalty kick but misfired and it was a relatively easy save.

Canada plays Venezuela in Copa America on Friday. If Canada loses, the Loons could have Dayne St. Clair and Tani Oluwaseyi back in time for Sunday's match vs the LA Galaxy. Teemu Pukki could also potentially return from injury by Sunday.

losing streak grows to 6 as the Loons fall to LA Galaxy 2-1. Teemu Pukki returns from injury and scores a goal to tie the match at 1-1, but Galaxy gets a late goal for the victory.

stats were more encouraging. possession went to LA 61% to 39%. Loons had more shot attempts, shots on goal and corner kicks. fouls were 13 on Loons and 4 on LA. 2 Yellow Cards on LA and 1 on the Loons.

Loons off until next Saturday night at Houston Dynamo.

Canada plays in Copa America Semi-finals on Tuesday. The 3rd-place match is next Saturday and Championship match next Sunday. so either way, St. Clair and Tani will not be back until at least Wednesday, July 17 when the Loons host DC United.

as of now, Loons are in 10th place in West and out of playoffs. But only 1 point behind 8th and 9th place, 2 pts out of 7th and 3 pts out of 6th place. 12 matches left in MLS regular season. (and then at least 2 Leagues Cup matches......)

Greg Berhalter gets the boot as USMNT Coach. from Yahoo Sports:

U.S. Soccer fired men's national team coach Gregg Berhalter on Wednesday, one week after the USMNT crashed out of the 2024 Copa América with just three group-stage points.

Berhalter departs after five years on the job, over two separate stints, the first of which was reasonably successful. But throughout the first 10 months of his second stint, it became clear that the USMNT had stagnated.

As the team trudged toward an earlier-than-expected Copa América exit, fans chanted: "Fire Gregg!" At least two official U.S. supporters' groups, the American Outlaws and Barra 76, soon called for Berhalter's ouster.

After a post-tournament review that U.S. Soccer said would be "comprehensive," the federation relieved Berhalter of his duties.

Sporting director Matt Crocker said Wednesday that the review considered not only the Copa América but the entirety of the past year. It was "not broad at all — specifically quite narrow," he said, and the conclusion was clear; "benchmarks" hadn't been met.

Greg Berhalter gets the boot as USMNT Coach. from Yahoo Sports:

U.S. Soccer fired men's national team coach Gregg Berhalter on Wednesday, one week after the USMNT crashed out of the 2024 Copa América with just three group-stage points.

Berhalter departs after five years on the job, over two separate stints, the first of which was reasonably successful. But throughout the first 10 months of his second stint, it became clear that the USMNT had stagnated.

As the team trudged toward an earlier-than-expected Copa América exit, fans chanted: "Fire Gregg!" At least two official U.S. supporters' groups, the American Outlaws and Barra 76, soon called for Berhalter's ouster.

After a post-tournament review that U.S. Soccer said would be "comprehensive," the federation relieved Berhalter of his duties.

Sporting director Matt Crocker said Wednesday that the review considered not only the Copa América but the entirety of the past year. It was "not broad at all — specifically quite narrow," he said, and the conclusion was clear; "benchmarks" hadn't been met.
Would love to see a swing for the fences on the new manager search. Will be another generation before we host another world cup so this is critical to take advantage of the extra attention on the sport domestically in the next two years.

Would love to see a swing for the fences on the new manager search. Will be another generation before we host another world cup so this is critical to take advantage of the extra attention on the sport domestically in the next two years.
I want Mourinho for the interviews alone even if he doesn't speak English. 🙂

some Loons news courtesy of Andy Greder at the Pioneer Press.

Dayne St. Clair and Tani Olywaseyi took part in training on Tuesday; should return to lineup for Wednesday's match with DC United.

Greder also says Loons are "looking to sign" 24-year old striker Kelvin Yeboah from Genoa in Italy's Serie A. Greder says this could be one of the biggest moves of the summer transfer window. looks like Yeboah has also logged some time with a team in Bundesliga. Loons were also reportedly interested in 22-year old Panamanian center back Eduardo Farina, but are unlikely to sign him.

Let’s try to get some points and back into playoff position before the leagues cup break.

Oh bleep. Loons lose to DC United 3-2.
DC led 1-0 after 14 minutes.
Loons get goals from Tani at the 32-minute mark, and a goal from Pukki at the 80-minute mark to go up 2-1.
and then - DC gets a goal at the 90-minute mark, and another at the 91-minute mark to take the victory.

Possession DC 54%, Loons 46%
Shots on Goal DC 4, Loons 3
Fouls DC 13, Loons 20
Corner Kicks DC 5, Loons 6
both teams with one Yellow card - but Boxall will have to sit out the next match due to Yellow accumulations.

Loons have officially signed a new 'designated player,' adding forward Kelvin Yeboah. Yeboah has played for international teams in Italy and Belgium.

Andy Greder of the Pioneer Press says Loons are also trying to sign Metus Kmet, a 24-year old defender from Slovakia.

----
Loons will host Necaxa in Leagues Cup action Tuesday night.

Per Andy Greder - Loons have signed 23-yr old Columbian center back Jefferson Diaz to a 3-year contract.

hopefully they can get the new people integrated into the lineup so they can make a playoff push after the Leagues Cup matches are over.

Loons defeat Mexican team Necaxa 1-0.

Dayne St. Clair stands on his head to make 16 saves - a team record and Leagues Cup record.

rookie Hugo Bacharach was handed a red card 20 minutes into the match, forcing the Loons to play short-handed for 70 minutes.

The Loons' goal came on a PK by Robin Lod after Loic Mesanvi was fouled in the penalty area.

the bad news - Tani Oluwaseyi had to leave the match with a leg injury - possibly a hamstring.

Loons will find out on Sunday if they advance to the knockout round of Leagues Cup play.

Loons defeat Mexican team Necaxa 1-0.

Dayne St. Clair stands on his head to make 16 saves - a team record and Leagues Cup record.

rookie Hugo Bacharach was handed a red card 20 minutes into the match, forcing the Loons to play short-handed for 70 minutes.

The Loons' goal came on a PK by Robin Lod after Loic Mesanvi was fouled in the penalty area.

the bad news - Tani Oluwaseyi had to leave the match with a leg injury - possibly a hamstring.

Loons will find out on Sunday if they advance to the knockout round of Leagues Cup play.
It was the first really fun game at the stadium that they've had in a while - fun seeing if we could hang on for the win.
  • The backline held - Duggan seems solid - Padelford as well.
  • We need Trapp back as a defensive mid-field that can transition the ball on offense. During this game, DSC (and the backline) just kept clearing the ball upfield where Nexcaca would just take another run at us. Didn't seem like we had hardly any possession in the second half. I think Trapp's our most important player - having him be injured has really hurt the team.
  • Also, why didn't Shashoua play at all? The few moments he has gotten into games he's looked really good.
  • Haven't seen a replay, but from my viewpoint in the stadium the yellow card on Cambindo at the 17' mark where he took out DSC should have been a direct red.
  • I'm actually hoping we don't advance far in this tourney. If we're going to make the playoffs we need to get players rested and injury-free for the remaining games in the regular season. I think we can make a decent run in the playoffs, but we need to have a full side to make it happen.
Also, does anyone park in the Target lot when attending games? I'm not sure if/how Target stops people from doing that. It'd certainly be a closer walk than finding a spot in the streets.

Last edited:

It was the first really fun game at the stadium that they've had in a while - fun seeing if we could hang on for the win.
  • The backline held - Duggan seems solid - Padelford as well.
  • We need Trapp back as a defensive mid-field that can transition the ball on offense. During this game, DSC (and the backline) just kept clearing the ball upfield where Nexcaca would just take another run at us. Didn't seem like we had hardly any possession in the second half. I think Trapp's our most important player - having him be injured has really hurt the team.
  • Also, why didn't Shashoua play at all? The few moments he has gotten into games he's looked really good.
  • Haven't seen a replay, but from my viewpoint in the stadium the yellow card on Cambindo at the 17' mark where he took out DSC should have been a direct red.
  • I'm actually hoping we don't advance far in this tourney. If we're going to make the playoffs we need to get players rested and injury-free for the remaining games in the regular season. I think we can make a decent run in the playoffs, but we need to have a full side to make it happen.
Also, does anyone park in the Target lot when attending games? I'm not sure if/how Target stops people from doing that. It'd certainly be a closer walk than finding a spot in the streets.
Depending on where you live, parking on the A-Line or Green Line on the street and taking the bus or train is a great way to get to the game.

Depending on where you live, parking on the A-Line or Green Line on the street and taking the bus or train is a great way to get to the game.
I used to take the train when the stadium first opened, but they made it so difficult to get back onto the train after the game - you basically need to walk to the next station. That Target lot sure looks tempting, right next to the stadium and a lot of empty spots...

BTW, for the Loons to advance, Seattle just needs to not lose tonight's game by 1, 2 or 3 goals. Any other outcome (e.g., they win, tie or lose by 4 or more) and we advance. I'm hoping we don't advance, as we need to regroup and get healthy for the last games of the regular season, so in a very rare deal, I'm cheering for Seattle tonight.

Leagues Cup is a joke. I begrudgingly understand that we can't control the Copa America/Euros impacting the MLS season but this tournament does nothing for either league and with Messi injured, no one gives a crap. Excited by our signings and hoping we can get healthy and ready for the final stretch of the season

Lots of changes, which I think are some pretty significant upgrades. IMO we still need a defensive midfielder as Trapp's contract expires this year.

+ FWD Kelvin Yeboah (DP)
+ CAM Yoaquin Pereyra (DP)
+ CB Jefferson Diaz
+ RWB Matus Kmet
+ LWB Anthony Markanich
+ CAM Samuel Shashoua

- MF/WB Caden Clark
- CB Victor Eriksson
- MF/CB Kervin Arriaga
- MF Emanuel Reynoso
- CB Duggan (on loan, we can recall him at any time)
- FWD Weah (on loan)

with (I think) 9 matches left this season, that isn't much time to integrate all these new players into the lineup. granted, I think some of the additions are seen more as depth pieces, but Yeboah and Pereyra are coming in - presumably- to be difference-makers.

it may be next season before we really know how all the pieces are going to fit together (or not fit).

with (I think) 9 matches left this season, that isn't much time to integrate all these new players into the lineup. granted, I think some of the additions are seen more as depth pieces, but Yeboah and Pereyra are coming in - presumably- to be difference-makers.

it may be next season before we really know how all the pieces are going to fit together (or not fit).
They've had about three weeks of practice time for some players, but yes, most of the newcomers are just arriving now and don't even have their visa's in place. If we can make the playoffs this year, I consider that a win. And we're in MUCH better shape going into next year than we we're at the beginning of this year.

Here's a chart of all the comings and goings of players.

1723751832499.png

the (somewhat) new-look Loons were on Fox TV Saturday night. Seattle beat the Loons 3-2.

1st half was shaky, with Loons down 2-1. goal on a PK by Yeboah.
2nd half Loons came out and looked much better. better possession and putting consistent pressure on Seattle, but several shots were off-target. Yeboah scores his 2nd goal on a pretty play, chipping it over the keeper. But the Loons' defense had some breakdowns and Seattle scores the game-winning goal.

stats had Loons winning possession 56-44%. Shots on goal 5 for Seattle, 4 for Loons.

two of the newcomers played - Yeboah and Diaz. Diaz - along with the back line - had some shaky moments.

Loons at San Jose next Saturday. Loons in 11th place in Conference with 33 points - San Jose in 14th place with 17 points.

when in doubt, play San Jose. Loons pick up 2-1 road win Saturday night. (to be honest, I forgot about the match until I saw the score this morning.)

Bongi with both goals for the Loons.

3 points move Loons into 9th place in the standings.

and now another international window, so Loons off until Sept 14.

when in doubt, play San Jose. Loons pick up 2-1 road win Saturday night. (to be honest, I forgot about the match until I saw the score this morning.)

San Jose is the worst team in the league, and it was great that we got them on our schedule = we really needed a win. We were clearly the better side, but San Jose is bad. Also, we still don't know how to play with the lead. We've blown so many games in the final minutes. Even is this game, in the last minutes rather than trying to run the clock out by playing the ball to the corners, we were pressing to get a third goal and leaving ourselves open for counters.

While this international window is a normal one, after the summer international tournaments and the leagues cup, this is killer for us. We can’t get any momentum going with all these breaks. I follow other league wide fan blogs and it’s a recurring complaint across the league. MLS pauses its season way too much

While this international window is a normal one, after the summer international tournaments and the leagues cup, this is killer for us. We can’t get any momentum going with all these breaks. I follow other league wide fan blogs and it’s a recurring complaint across the league. MLS pauses its season way too much

the only possible positive is that it gives them more time to get people healthy and integrate the new players into the team. haven't seen anything on the immigration process for the new forward - would be nice if he could play a few matches before the end of the season.

I want to see Yeboah and Tani on the field when Tani is 100%. that could be fun.

the only possible positive is that it gives them more time to get people healthy and integrate the new players into the team. haven't seen anything on the immigration process for the new forward - would be nice if he could play a few matches before the end of the season.

I want to see Yeboah and Tani on the field when Tani is 100%. that could be fun.
Also looking forward to the new Argentinian. Would love if we could sneak into playoffs just to get the extra playing time together

Loons debut a new-look lineup Saturday and defeat St. Louis 3-1. St. Louis scored just 4 minutes into the match, but the Loons got a goal from Bongi on a rebound at the 24-minute mark. Then added an 'own goal' as a St. Louis defender knocked the ball past his own keeper. Loons add an insurance goal on a PK by Yeboah at the 62-minute mark.

St. Louis led in time of possession but Loons had more shot attempts, shots on goal, corner kicks - and also had more fouls and yellow cards.

Loons still in 9th place in the Western Conference and would quality for the Wild card round of playoffs. next match Wednesday at home vs Cincinnati - currently 2nd in Eastern Conference.

Hey - the Loons get a win 2-0 over Sporting KC.

goals by Yeboah and Bongi, both in the 2nd half.

KC had possession 67% to 33% for the Loons. Shots on goal 4-3 in favor of KC. KC with 9 corner kicks to 1 for the Loons.

Loons still in 9th place in Western Conference. Loons host Colorado Rapids next Saturday. Colorado in 3rd place in West.

Hey - the Loons get a win 2-0 over Sporting KC.

goals by Yeboah and Bongi, both in the 2nd half.

KC had possession 67% to 33% for the Loons. Shots on goal 4-3 in favor of KC. KC with 9 corner kicks to 1 for the Loons.

Loons still in 9th place in Western Conference. Loons host Colorado Rapids next Saturday. Colorado in 3rd place in West.
Plus, they had a fortunate post on a penalty :)

Plus, they had a fortunate post on a penalty :)
I'll take any wins we can get, especially on the road. If we get into the playoffs, I'll consider this season a success, as it was truly a transition year - new coach, new players, new system, etc.

We are set up pretty well for next year. We're still missing a possession midfielder, and Boxal is getting up there in years, but we have a much better side now than we did two months ago, with most folks signed to multi-year contracts.

We actually have pretty decent depth. Instead of having to play people out of position because we didn't have anyone on the roster for that slot (e.g., Clark played out of position the whole time he was here, and Lod was always filling in for someone who was injured), we now have competition at each position with solid backups. That's a huge change from previous years. Heath basically never subbed anyone, since we didn't have any depth on the bench. Now Ramsey's in a position where there's solid competition for who gets the start. I was not a fan of the KAL hiring, but he's pretty much winning me over. Seems like he's making a lot of right moves for the team.

Top Bottom