All Things MN State Fair

Wally

Reaction score
Who's going?
Best food?
Best beer?
Best exhibit?

Went this morning for 4 and a half hours with the kids. Saw most of the animals, watched the birth of a calf. Hung out at Math on a Stick which might be my kids favorite thing at the fair.

My favorite food is probably the Sashimi Tacos their stand is right behind the Little Farm Hands exhibit. Had a mini doughnut Popsicle from Hamline Church Dining Hall that was good. Big Fat Bacon for breakfast when we got there, yum.

Going back tomorrow.

I'm sitting this one out. I like to go every few years just to see what's new or different.

But - the older I get, the more I dislike the crowds.

and this year, I'm dealing with a bad knee (appointment to see an orthopedist next week). So I just couldn't deal with all the walking, and I'm too proud to go the mobility scooter route.

food wise, I would have to do some research to see if anything would fit with a heart-healthy diet (low sodium, low fat, low cholesterol).

When people of mn find out that Dan Coleman is also unfunny in person.

Dan Coleman the former Gopher PF? Is he doing standup at this year's State Fair, or what's the connection here?

Go Gophers!!
My guess is the Common Man (Dan Cole), radio host for KFAN from 12:00pm - 3:00pm. He's not my cup of tea, either, but I listen to the other shows.

My guess is the Common Man (Dan Cole), radio host for KFAN from 12:00pm - 3:00pm. He's not my cup of tea, either, but I listen to the other shows.
His hour with Rosen is good, listening to it now.
The rest is exactly the same every day.

Can't do PA except during the NFL season.

I'm sitting this one out. I like to go every few years just to see what's new or different.

But - the older I get, the more I dislike the crowds.

and this year, I'm dealing with a bad knee (appointment to see an orthopedist next week). So I just couldn't deal with all the walking, and I'm too proud to go the mobility scooter route.

food wise, I would have to do some research to see if anything would fit with a heart-healthy diet (low sodium, low fat, low cholesterol).
I was having knee issues as well. I was referred to a therapist and now do 5 stretching exercises at least 4-5 times a week at home. Takes about 10 minutes and made a huge difference.

QUE VIET Giant Egg roll on a stick, just had one, one of my new favorites at the fair.

Not much of a fair person unless I'm going to the grandstand.

Mpls Star-Tribune food writer and some others sampled and rated 100 food items that can be found at the fair. I don't want to even imagine the calories.

Planning on going Monday. Try to go on Monday or Tuesday for the smaller crowds.

What is “math on a stick”?

My cousin had the biggest boar a couple of years back. Because he was so big and had so much fat, he wasn’t worth anything. So they had a big party at their farm with pork sammiches.

In past years, the athletic department has had a schedule of what days/times Gopher coaches and players from the various programs would be at the fair.

However, the news article this year only mentions the ticket deals. Anyone know if the coaches will be there, and if so, where the schedule is? I emailed the department but didn't get a reply.

So sad, big part of the twin cities yet no Somali presence at the fair. Sad.

I went Sunday, and Today. Sunday was all about seeking out free entertainment. Saw a contest where 4 H kids dress in costume, and then they dress the sheep in a similar costume.

Saw a dog frisbee show. My kid loves that stuff.

Saw a couple of modern music acts I enjoyed.

Today, was about seeing cattle, pigs, sheep, poultry, crop art, fine arts, and exhibits like that. I like the art stuff--not because I'm arty, but that the public puts in the work to do this every year. So cool.

Over the two days, I did have Martha's cookies (most over rated fair food ever), deep fried cheese curds (the best ever), a fried green tomato sandwich from Farmer's Union (really good) and this and that.

It's a math based activity area for kids right by the family stage in family fun area. My kids have spent tons of hours there over the last 8 or so years.
We went on Monday and decided to stop there because I had never heard of it. My kids (8,6,4) enjoyed it. Then while we were there we heard circus-type music next door and caught a clown/magic show going on, which was also a hit. Thanks for the recommendation.

We went through the gates at 9:15 and got back to the car at the U park and ride at 5:40. The 4 year old was fried, but boy do they love going to the fair. I used to go every year as a kid, then stopped going for a number of years. Since we’ve had kids we’ve been every year as they enjoy it so much.

We went on Monday and decided to stop there because I had never heard of it. My kids (8,6,4) enjoyed it. Then while we were there we heard circus-type music next door and caught a clown/magic show going on, which was also a hit. Thanks for the recommendation.

We went through the gates at 9:15 and got back to the car at the U park and ride at 5:40. The 4 year old was fried, but boy do they love going to the fair. I used to go every year as a kid, then stopped going for a number of years. Since we’ve had kids we’ve been every year as they enjoy it so much.
They are perfect age for it.
👍

Top Bottom