All Things Mitch Leidner

They used to run the QB sneak/QB draw like 25 times a game when he was here. lol. Mitch was a pretty tough kid though and he gave his best. Can't ask for more than that. If you want someone better than go out and recruit someone better or coach him up. That's on the coaches....

I doubt we'll have to wait long for the big Kaliakmanis-Knuth QB controversy.

Come to think of it, do we know for certain which of the two throws a better spiral?
First time Athan struggles next year there will be people asking about the backup and wondering why we don't play him.

As we all know....the backup is always better.....but the coaches are just too dumb to give him a chance.... :)

First time Athan struggles next year there will be people asking about the backup and wondering why we don't play him.

As we all know....the backup is always better.....but the coaches are just too dumb to give him a chance.... :)

Two things to remember, always:

— The backup QB is clearly better than the starter

— If a play fails, it's because the staff called the wrong play

In Streveler’s case, that might have been true.

In Streveler’s case, that might have been true.
Maybe, although he was always more of a great athlete who played QB as opposed to a great QB who was also a great athlete.

It would have been interesting to see how he could have done as the starter here but my guess is it may not have gone very well. He had to drop down in class to really have success as a passer.

Maybe, although he was always more of a great athlete who played QB as opposed to a great QB who was also a great athlete.

It would have been interesting to see how he could have done as the starter here but my guess is it may not have gone very well. He had to drop down in class to really have success as a passer.
He's in the NFL because SDSU gave him a chance to make the CFL and then the NFL. He improved along the way. He would have never shown those qualities at the U with a run heavy approach, but he might still be where he is today because of this drive to do so.

He's in the NFL because SDSU gave him a chance to make the CFL and then the NFL. He improved along the way. He would have never shown those qualities at the U with a run heavy approach, but he might still be where he is today because of this drive to do so.
His time at SDSU probably helped him get a shot in the CFL but he has never really been a great QB against higher level competition. Look at his time in the CFL, he got to start some due to injuries but was used more as a change of pace/running option than he was as a true QB.

His athletic ability has gotten him onto to NFL rosters but he hasn't been able to parlay that into any kind of regular playing time.

There is no doubt Streveler is an amazing athlete. I wonder if he could have made it as more of a RB/WR hybrid like Christian McCaffrey as opposed to playing QB where he just doesn't seem to be good enough to win a starting job.

We have separate threads for Leidner and Streveler. Will there soon be a Demry Croft thread?
I'd guess his life was ruined because PJ treated him so unfairly. Come to think of it, he might have passed away succumbing to the damage his body suffered when PJ forced him to play hurt.

Oh the Demry Croft NW game. Jerry finally broke and put in Demry instead of Leidner. It was as tho he wanted us show us GHers. 0-38 score. Jerry’s ‘smallness’ was displayed that day.

We have separate threads for Leidner and Streveler. Will there soon be a Demry Croft thread?
On this forum I don’t even want to get into what I want to know about Demry…

Two things to remember, always:

— The backup QB is clearly better than the starter

— If a play fails, it's because the staff called the wrong play
And if you lose or win close it was because the staff played “not to lose”

Whereas other teams coaches “played to win” when they made the exact same types of decisions

It looks like Mitch is currently working as an account executive (sales) for Hudl.
Quick update, I have a buddy in Augusta, GA that just texted me wondering if I knew who Mitch Leidner was and that he will be working with him. Mitch is in the steel business up on the Iron Range.

Quick update, I have a buddy in Augusta, GA that just texted me wondering if I knew who Mitch Leidner was and that he will be working with him. Mitch is in the steel business up on the Iron Range.
Damn, I didn’t know Hudl did steel too.

Come on. Did you not watch with your God given eyes for 12 years or whatever time he was here ? He was a terrible QB. Kill did him a huge disservice taking him from a water boy to starting QB
Might want to check out his stats. He was decent and at time pretty good. Never terrible.

I feel like some of the bagging on Leidner is similar to the bagging on Brewster in terms of him being an unqualified fraud. Not really fair. Kid wasn't great, but he was a leader and left it all out there. Sure, he threw some lame ducks, but he was legitimately likeable and a good face for the program. Not his fault that the program wasn't where we wanted it to be and he was plopped into he qb spot, I appreciate his commitment. I still remember x-ray photos of his busted up feet someone had posted leading into his senior season. He put his body on the line for the program and I feel like it's a little lame to keep beating on him after he's been long gone and we've reached newer heights, in part because of what he did during his time here to lead us on that path.

I feel like some of the bagging on Leidner is similar to the bagging on Brewster in terms of him being an unqualified fraud. Not really fair. Kid wasn't great, but he was a leader and left it all out there. Sure, he threw some lame ducks, but he was legitimately likeable and a good face for the program. Not his fault that the program wasn't where we wanted it to be and he was plopped into he qb spot, I appreciate his commitment. I still remember x-ray photos of his busted up feet someone had posted leading into his senior season. He put his body on the line for the program and I feel like it's a little lame to keep beating on him after he's been long gone and we've reached newer heights, in part because of what he did during his time here to lead us on that path.
Well said, Mitch busted his ass for this program. He wasn't a great QB, but what is he supposed to do, tell the coaches not to play him?

Your Brew comparison is a good one, it's not his fault he was offered this job. I'm not qualified to be the CEO of Best Buy, but if they offer me that job I'm sure as heck going to cash in.

And Kill and Co. were hardly offensive masterminds…

I eagerly await the next chapter of Ego Jerry in NM. No matter what happens he shall remain blameless. ‘Well, to be perfectly honest with ya……’

Well said, Mitch busted his ass for this program. He wasn't a great QB, but what is he supposed to do, tell the coaches not to play him?

Your Brew comparison is a good one, it's not his fault he was offered this job. I'm not qualified to be the Gophers Men’s Basketball Coach either but if they offer me that job I'm sure as heck going to cash in.
Thanks Ben!

Your Brew comparison is a good one, it's not his fault he was offered this job. I'm not qualified to be the CEO of Best Buy, but if they offer me that job I'm sure as heck going to cash in.
I think we're being too bearish even in this defense of Mitch. Seems like most takes on him are sort of Rudy-ish...that he tried really hard and was a good dude but couldn't get it done.

He's one of the better QBs the Gophers have had over the past 50 years. That's not picking from a long list of greats, but he's at least up there with the Asads and the Webers and Cupitos of the world. Dude won a lot of games for Minnesota, and had average offensive talent and a rebuilding program around him.

I think we're being too bearish even in this defense of Mitch. Seems like most takes on him are sort of Rudy-ish...that he tried really hard and was a good dude but couldn't get it done.

He's one of the better QBs the Gophers have had over the past 50 years. That's not picking from a long list of greats, but he's at least up there with the Asads and the Webers and Cupitos of the world. Dude won a lot of games for Minnesota, and had average offensive talent and a rebuilding program around him.
Agree. He's an easy target because of the offense Kill ran, but Mitch was exactly the type QB that offense needed.

Top Bottom