All Things Mitch Leidner

I have a ton of respect for Mitch. He was tough as nails and gave everything to this program. I hated the fact that he was our starter for so many games, but that’s not his fault. I hope he’s finding success in whatever he is up to these days, and I suspect he will be successful in whatever he does.

He suffered because he was an inaccurate thrower and a good enough runner to get his number called but not good enough to be a game changer against good and great defenses.
Overall, I thought he was an average QB.
FIFY

Jerry’s ego was bruised and he doubled down. He paid a higher price than us fans.
I don’t understand how he could double down on Mitch …. but keep the same OC all that time.

It was like if I’ve got Barry Bonds and I ask him to bunt half the time.

The whole offense seemed hamstrung a lot of the times.

He suffered because he had to often be part of the running game and many of his miscues occurred after he had been pretty beaten up.
Overall, I thought he was a good QB.
Come on. Did you not watch with your God given eyes for 12 years or whatever time he was here ? He was a terrible QB. Kill did him a huge disservice taking him from a water boy to starting QB

Perfect! Can we keep this Gopher football related and not something more suited for OT-Political please?

Loved Mitch for his toughness but first thing that pops up for me is the loss to Michigan at TCF on Halloween Night 2015.

I think it was on the coaches to know that the clock started on the whistle, but Mitch as QB had CFB's largest jumbotron (at the time I believe) clicking down the game clock right in front of him...not just the play clock...as he did the reads under center for what seemed like forever. We had 18 seconds as I recall to punch it in.

Also believe that was Harbaugh's first trip to Minneapolis and the game was ours to take. Saw a lot of the good, the bad, and the ugly while Mitch was at the helm, but that loss was particularly painful, especially when the long pass was not ruled a TD but was placed at like the 1-2 yard line.

The box score shows that Mitch went 16-33 for 317 yds that game, no INTs, and one TD. Not a strong QB rating but we put up 461-296 yards total offense that game against Big Blue.

No where near the debacle with Michigan in '03 for sheer scale of disappointment...that will be the pinnacle of modern Gophers football infamy...but the Billds went from Mt. Everest scale jubilation to Marianas Trench despair with that one in the span of 2 minutes with the timeout. Sorry Mitch but a big part of that was on him.:(

Loved Mitch for his toughness but first thing that pops up for me is the loss to Michigan at TCF on Halloween Night 2015.
I will always blame Limegrover for that and I am convinced that is the play that got him fired. It's the players job to execute. It's the coaches job to tell them what they know to succeed. Mitch did exactly what he was taught to on that play.

For the record I hope Mitch is blissfully unaware of the obsession some on Gopherhole have with him.

But I wonder what it would be like to be in his shoes and have threads started on a message board about you 6 years after you took your last snap for the team, for no reason at all.

I mean it isn’t like he did anything newsworthy to prompt it. :)

For the record I hope Mitch is blissfully unaware of the obsession some on Gopherhole have with him.

I’m sure most athletes feel pretty disconnected from fan forums. Their experience and knowledge is completely different from ours.

But yeah some caricature of Mitch seems seared into some fans brains.. for some reason:

I have a ton of respect for Mitch. He was tough as nails and gave everything to this program. I hated the fact that he was our starter for so many games, but that’s not his fault. I hope he’s finding success in whatever he is up to these days, and I suspect he will be successful in whatever he does.
I dunno, man. Have you checked with his ideologies or any dogmas he may follow? He could be a awful human being.

I honestly thought that this was going to be a worthwhile thread to follow. I was fooled. Thanks Mitch as you did the best you could with your abilities. What more could we ask of you? We can't ask more, and we couldn't ask someone else either on the roster, as you were our best option.

I will always blame Limegrover for that and I am convinced that is the play that got him fired. It's the players job to execute. It's the coaches job to tell them what they know to succeed. Mitch did exactly what he was taught to on that play.
Mitch was a deer in headlights. I can’t talk about his play anymore my twitch is coming back

From what I remember, Phillip Nelson was a much better qb during Liedners first couple years but for some reason I don’t think Kill and him got along. Nelson was the star recruit out of high school and Leidner was the afterthought

From what I remember, Phillip Nelson was a much better qb during Liedners first couple years but for some reason I don’t think Kill and him got along. Nelson was the star recruit out of high school and Leidner was the afterthought
Nelson seemed like a primadonna type which I can't imagine Kill putting up with too much!

I recall the team responded much better when Leidner was the QB.

Top Bottom