All Things Minnesota Timberwolves 2022-2023 In-Season Thread

Isn’t that enough. I don’t believe that the team from last year with the draft picks could not have done the exact same thing this wolves team did. Plus now you basically have to trade KAT so you can pay for ANT without a huge cap penalty.

Do I have to remind you how many 1st round draft picks we've busted on over the years? And most of those were earlier picks than what we will have to give up. 1st rounders in the NBA are far from a sure thing.

What are we missing from last years team? DLo, Vando, and Beasley are playing terrible on a team that was 1 game better than us. Getting Conley, Alexander-Walker, and 3 2nd draft picks for a guy who they weren't going to re-sign was a steal. Signing Kyle Anderson and allowing Reid and McDaniels to play more, more than made up for dumping Vando and Beasley.

And the whole reason they traded for Gobert is because KAT is too soft down low. That's exactly why they need to trade KAT.

Do I have to remind you how many 1st round draft picks we've busted on over the years? And most of those were earlier picks than what we will have to give up. 1st rounders in the NBA are far from a sure thing.

What are we missing from last years team? DLo, Vando, and Beasley are playing terrible on a team that was 1 game better than us. Getting Conley, Alexander-Walker, and 3 2nd draft picks for a guy who they weren't going to re-sign was a steal. Signing Kyle Anderson and allowing Reid and McDaniels to play more, more than made up for dumping Vando and Beasley.

And the whole reason they traded for Gobert is because KAT is too soft down low. That's exactly why they need to trade KAT.
Walker Kessler could have basically done what Gobert did and they still could have traded for Conley at the deadline.

By giving up a bunch of 1st round picks and several decent players for a massively overrated and overpaid Gobert. He fucked us.
We were fucked either way.

Our max player(Towns) has been complete dogs hit this series.

Ant was a superstar last night, but until he becomes a superstar on most nights, well, we are just plain stuck in neutral. What I mean by that is Ant could go out there tomorrow and shoot 4-15.

We appear to be stuck in the middle of the pack, and that's with or without the Gobert trade.

We were fucked either way.

Our max player(Towns) has been complete dogs hit this series.

Ant was a superstar last night, but until he becomes a superstar on most nights, well, we are just plain stuck in neutral. What I mean by that is Ant could go out there tomorrow and shoot 4-15.

We appear to be stuck in the middle of the pack, and that's with or without the Gobert trade.
Not making that idiotic trade would have kept the momentum going at least. Wouldn't have been salary strapped and still could've traded Kat if wanted.

Not making that idiotic trade would have kept the momentum going at least. Wouldn't have been salary strapped and still could've traded Kat if wanted.
trading Kat last summer was the forward thinking move.

I'm still mad at him for taking that 40 footer against memphis all because the grizz were making a little run. He doesnt have the makeup to be great

I'm still mad at him for taking that 40 footer against memphis all because the grizz were making a little run. He doesnt have the makeup to be great
I would have been cool with the new guy coming in and making that splash move instead of getting Gobert.

Barkley is right again with his assessment of the Wolves. Kat has wasted height. Finch doesn't use him and Gobert the right way and we are a dumb/slow team with both of them out there.

What momentum? We were a play in team with a healthy KAT the entire season last year, and we were a play in team this year without KAT for most of the season.

The players we traded away didn't move the needle at all for this team.

I wanted KAT traded last summer as well, but I believe that would have screwed him out of his super max deal. This franchise already has enough time attracting good players, and that would have made the Wolves franchise look even worse to other players, and that matters even though I don't think KAT is worth it.

What momentum? We were a play in team with a healthy KAT the entire season last year, and we were a play in team this year without KAT for most of the season.

The players we traded away didn't move the needle at all for this team.
We made the playoffs! Very rare for this franchise the last 15 years or so. Almost upset Memphis (should have). We could have traded any one of those players for players or picks not making $50 million. We had actual momentum compared to past seasons where it was all doom and gloom.

We made the playoffs! Very rare for this franchise the last 15 years or so. Almost upset Memphis (should have). We could have traded any one of those players for players or picks not making $50 million. We had actual momentum compared to past seasons where it was all doom and gloom.

We're in the playoffs this year. And if we had a healthy Naz and McDaniels, I would bet a lot of money that we would have been a 7 seed and likely upset Memphis this season, and maybe more in a wide open west.

We're in the playoffs this year. And if we had a healthy Naz and McDaniels, I would bet a lot of money that we would have been a 7 seed and likely upset Memphis this season, and maybe more in a wide open west.
Maybe. But we would still have two players (playing the same position) making $100 million with no flexibility for the future.

I wanted KAT traded last summer as well, but I believe that would have screwed him out of his super max deal. This franchise already has enough time attracting good players, and that would have made the Wolves franchise look even worse to other players, and that matters even though I don't think KAT is worth it.
Utah did it with Mitchell. Just saying

I would have been cool with the new guy coming in and making that splash move instead of getting Gobert.

Barkley is right again with his assessment of the Wolves. Kat has wasted height. Finch doesn't use him and Gobert the right way and we are a dumb/slow team with both of them out there.
I'm convinced he has know idea how to use KAT. Posting him up at the 3 point line is not an offense. He is one of the most offensively skilled big men in NBA history, why is he always so far from the hoop? His 3 point attempts should be opportunistic, not in the formal offense

I will say that you cant let Brandon Clarke dictate who you are going to trade for lol.

Its like when the Packers drafted all of those CBs because of Moss

I will say that you cant let Brandon Clarke dictate who you are going to trade for lol.

Its like when the Packers drafted all of those CBs because of Moss

Sure but KAT has proven for years that he can't play defense in the paint. Trading for a defensive center made sense, and they went out and got a 3 time DPOY, they just gave up too many 1s.

If they end up moving KAT this off-season for a good player or 2 and a few of the 1s back, this roster will be in better shape going forward than it was last off-season.

Great back to back plays from Edwards and Gobert after that phantom call.

I was waiting for SlowMo to punch himself.

Edwards got 36. Added 7 RB, 5 AST and 3 steals too.

Towns had 27 and 7. Gobert? 18, 10 and 3.

Wolves had way more free throws too! 35 to 13. Turnovers were a wash.

Why was the final score Denver 120 - Minnesota 109?

They got out shot (57 to 46%) and out rebounded (40-32) big time, and without Reid & McDaniels that bench, including Anderson, was putrid.

Minnesota's bench got 10 points total. Denver's had 29.

Last edited:

I think Finch should give Minott some run Sunday night. Nothing has worked so far and the bench has been ineffectual. Let's see what Minott's got when it sort of matters. (The series is essentially over.)

For those posters who are claiming that the Rudy trade was anything other than a disaster and the wolves would have screwed up the four #1's and the two pick swaps anyway.......wow!

Also, Beverly, Vanderbilt and Beasely did move the needle last year. Quite a bit. All three played valuable supporting roles. SloMo has been very solid this year. TP has been inconsistent and he was on the roster last year. Naz was on the roster last year. We haven't had anybody provide this year what Vanderbilt and Beasely provided for us last year.

I think Finch should give Minott some run Sunday night. Nothing has worked so far and the bench has been ineffectual. Let's see what Minott's got when it sort of matters. (The series is essentially over.)

For those posters who are claiming that the Rudy trade was anything other than a disaster and the wolves would have screwed up the four #1's and the two pick swaps anyway.......wow!

Also, Beverly, Vanderbilt and Beasely did move the needle last year. Quite a bit. All three played valuable supporting roles. SloMo has been very solid this year. TP has been inconsistent and he was on the roster last year. Naz was on the roster last year. We haven't had anybody provide this year what Vanderbilt and Beasely provided for us last year.

I agree with you on Minott, was thinking the same thing last night. As for the Rudy trade, I said they gave up too many 1st's. I also didn't say they would screw up all of the picks. Too many treat NBA first rounders like they are NFL 1st rounders. The bust rate for mid to late 1st's is extremely high, and the Wolves draft history is poor. Having those picks guarantees nothing.

And sure Beverly, Vando, and Beasley moved the needle last year, a team that was barely better than this one, but they never moved the needle long term. They cut into McDaniels and Reid's PT, and both are younger and better players. The injuries to those 2 are killing them this series.

Last edited:

I agree with you on Minott, was thinking the same thing last night. As for the Rudy trade, I said they gave up too many 1st's. I also didn't say they would screw up all of the picks. Too many treat NBA first rounders like they are NFL 1st rounders. The bust rate for mid to late 1st's is extremely high, and the Wolves draft history is poor. Having those picks guarantees nothing.

And sure Beverly, Vando, and Beasley moved the needled last year, a team that was barely better than this one, but they never moved the needle long term. They cut into McDaniels and Reid's PT, and both are younger and better players. The injuries to those 2 are killing them this series.
Had Towns missed most of the season last year, they don't make the playoffs or I guess you could say, the play in.

The Rudy trade was a disaster. No way around that. Only caveat to that was with Towns missing about 50 games and now no other decent big men or back-up point guards, how a Gobert & Towns roster would have worked out for a full season may never be known.

Last year Beverly was quite valuable last year in the 58 games he played. Decent in the 6 playoff games too. Wish they never would have traded him.

Vanderbilt was a much better rebounder than McDaniels wish they would have traded McDaniels instead. Though all we've heard this year is what a great defender McDaniels is. Rather disingenuous. Beasley? He'd look good on the roster now. He had a great couple of months last season. What he mainly was, like Russell, was wildly inconsistent.

To say they don't miss the Naz Reid of last year is accurate. To say they don't miss the Reid of the way he was playing the month or so before he got hurt is laughable. He rebounded, played decent defense, scored and hit the three.

Nowell and McLaughlin were suppose to be solid back-ups. They've also been widely inconsistent.

Finally how about Anderson. As a small forward or two guard playing against guys 3-5" shorter he's been very good. What we're saying since Reid and the wall puncher went down, is as a power forward or back-up center he's been bad. Can't guard anybody his size, isn't much of a rebounder and last night, when he was needed most he was 1-7 with 2 rebounds, 6 assists and 5 fouls in 29 minutes.

Finch should put him back in a position to be good again. Except they can't. They have no big men who can help them on both sides of the court. So yep, give Minott a shot. What can it hurt.

Last edited:

And sure Beverly, Vando, and Beasley moved the needle last year, a team that was barely better than this one, but they never moved the needle long term. They cut into McDaniels and Reid's PT, and both are younger and better players. The injuries to those 2 are killing them this series.
I agree with you that losing Naz and McDaniels are killers, though I'm not sure anybody can stop Murray this week. He's made it look as easy and simple as Curry does (or used to).

In my own business life, retrospectively, many of my best moves were the ones I didn't make. The Rudy trade was a classic example. Two new semi owners who didn't know the league, a new POBO who didn't know his team, all hankerin' to do something dramatic. And Danny Ainge sitting there watching this. It must have been so fun for him. If they had left things alone you have a smart, talented Walker Kessler playing with and behind KAT, DLo is still tradable at the deadline, Naz fetches a fortune at the deadline instead of us needing him just to make the playoffs, the picks remain, Vanderbilt playing the most annoying defense in the league, Beasely hitting 3's before they trade his expiring, etc. etc. A fifty win team that sets up nicely for the future.

Oh well.

I agree with you that losing Naz and McDaniels are killers, though I'm not sure anybody can stop Murray this week. He's made it look as easy and simple as Curry does (or used to).

In my own business life, retrospectively, many of my best moves were the ones I didn't make. The Rudy trade was a classic example. Two new semi owners who didn't know the league, a new POBO who didn't know his team, all hankerin' to do something dramatic. And Danny Ainge sitting there watching this. It must have been so fun for him. If they had left things alone you have a smart, talented Walker Kessler playing with and behind KAT, DLo is still tradable at the deadline, Naz fetches a fortune at the deadline instead of us needing him just to make the playoffs, the picks remain, Vanderbilt playing the most annoying defense in the league, Beasely hitting 3's before they trade his expiring, etc. etc. A fifty win team that sets up nicely for the future.

Oh well.
I seriously can't think of a silver lining from the trade. I don't count the D-Lo trade, that would have happened no matter what. Losing Kessler is the worst part.

Oh well.

This years team with no KAT and no Gobert isn't winning you 50 games. Hindsight is 50/50 with Walker Kessler, who was a great surprise to everyone which is why he slipped to 22. They would have needed Naz and there's no way they would have dealt him at the deadline.

You are vastly overrating Beverley who is playing for his 4th team over the last 4 seasons, Vando has played for 4 different teams over 5 seasons, Beasley's played for 4 different teams over 7 seasons. These guys are just run of the mill NBA bench players.

The common denominator with the Wolves issues is KAT. They traded for Gobert due to KAT's deficiencies. KAT's contract is now an albatross and far worse than Gobert's long term. KAT is nothing but a role player on a good team, just like Wiggins and Love were. If they can move KAT this off-season, the future is bright.

The wolves gave up 57% shooting last night at home. It was over 50% in game 2. That's ridiculous for a playoff games. It was layups, dunk after dunk, and many wide open 3's.

It's the foot speed of this team. Town's foot speed is very slow. Gobert's foot speed is very slow. Connelly is 35 and slowing down and doesn't guard overly well. Ant can d up, but he doesn't help and come off screens worth a shit. Our bench is a bunch of guys nailed to the floor. Prince is slow. We have a guy named SloMo for gawd's sake. In the playoffs when they play harder on defense and offense, we get exposed.

We have to get better athletically and not be so nailed to the floor. They desperately need someone who can put the ball on the floor and move their feet on the perimeter to pair with Ant. Easier said than done. but that's who they need to target in a Towns trade. Someone on the perimeter who can jump and create.

This year is pure shit. I'm actually not that down, though, as Ant has trended upward again.

Whoever said play Minott was exactly what I was thinking. It's the only reason to tune in tomorrow. I will be shocked if it happens.

Top Bottom