All Things Minnesota Timberwolves 2022-2023 In-Season Thread

Towns is the team's best player. Most won't agree, but McDaniels is now the second best player. Ant is a very close 3rd.

If Ant could shooter a little more accurately, improve his shot selection, and cut down on the turnovers, he'd be a heck of an offensive player. He scores a lot, but there's still a lot to be desired out of him on offense.
I think Ant is cleary the 2nd best player but I agree with everything else.

Towns is the team's best player. Most won't agree, but McDaniels is now the second best player. Ant is a very close 3rd.

If Ant could shooter a little more accurately, improve his shot selection, and cut down on the turnovers, he'd be a heck of an offensive player. He scores a lot, but there's still a lot to be desired out of him on offense.
McDaniels is no way in hell their second best player.

Do they even miss him that much?

It's a small sample size for Towns this season, but Ant's 3 point percentage and assist to turnover ratio is nearly the same as Towns. He's averaging 4 more ppg, and only 2 less rebounds per game than Towns. Ant's field goal percentage is comparable to other stars like Lillard, Tatum, and Ja.

Ant is only 21 and has showed steady improvement across all categories his first 3 seasons. Not only is Ant the Wolves best player, he is well on his way to becoming a super star. I like McDaniels a lot, but he doesn't score near enough to be in the conversation with Ant or KAT.

It's a small sample size for Towns this season, but Ant's 3 point percentage and assist to turnover ratio is nearly the same as Towns. He's averaging 4 more ppg, and only 2 less rebounds per game than Towns. Ant's field goal percentage is comparable to other stars like Lillard, Tatum, and Ja.

Ant is only 21 and has showed steady improvement across all categories his first 3 seasons. Not only is Ant the Wolves best player, he is well on his way to becoming a super star. I like McDaniels a lot, but he doesn't score near enough to be in the conversation with Ant or KAT.
McDaniels' defense is the best among them. His total Won Shares and Win Shares per game this season are more than Ant has ever achieved in any season.

Ant is solid, but he's very overrated.

McDaniels' defense is the best among them. His total Won Shares and Win Shares per game this season are more than Ant has ever achieved in any season.

Ant is more than solid, and he's definitely not overrated. Win shares is just one metric and is not an end all to be all stat. With that argument you're telling me Gobert is the best player on the team, yet even you haven't mentioned him in your top 3. McDaniels was barley higher than Ant this season.

Despite missing Kat's typical double digit win shares for 3/4 of this season, the Wolves still made the playoffs and only won 4 fewer games than last season, when KAT was playing. Ant is the main reason why.

Last edited:

McDaniels defense is overrated.

We've talked about this. He plays high, goes over the screen, and is always trailing.

The last game he played, they started him on Ingram and he torched McDaniels.

We play poor perimeter defense, yet this guy is considered all world, defensively. Something is wrong there.

Last edited:

Ant is more than solid, and he's definitely not overrated. Win shares is just one metric and is not an end all to be all stat. With that argument you're telling me Gobert is the best player on the team, yet even you haven't mentioned him in your top 3. McDaniels was barley higher than Ant this season.

Despite missing Kat's typical double digit win shares for 3/4 of this season, the Wolves still made the playoffs and only won 4 fewer games than last season, when KAT was playing. Ant is the main reason why.

Yep.

Getting to the playoffs with Towns, who was their leading scorer, rebounder and 3pt shooter last year, playing in only 29 games was an achievement. As for Edwards?

Lot of complaining about teams resting stars this year. Edwards played in a number of games this year when he was hurt and/or sick. He shouldn't be downgraded for that.

nice win. but as others have said, it's going to be tough to compete against Denver with a 7-man rotation. the Wolves have to get something from Nowell or McLaughlin.

FWIW - was listening to Doogie on Skor North. He claimed that the problems between SloMo and Gobert have been building up for a couple of weeks, so based on his sources, this was not a spur-of-the-moment thing.

nice win. but as others have said, it's going to be tough to compete against Denver with a 7-man rotation. the Wolves have to get something from Nowell or McLaughlin.

FWIW - was listening to Doogie on Skor North. He claimed that the problems between SloMo and Gobert have been building up for a couple of weeks, so based on his sources, this was not a spur-of-the-moment thing.
McLaughlin in unplayable. I want nowell to take his place, because they need someone to create offense besides towns and ant. But i wonder if nowell is too hurt.

Id give wendall Moore clock over j mac and have ant or slo mo bring thr ball up while conely is resting Jmac is so bad right now

McLaughlin in unplayable. I want nowell to take his place, because they need someone to create offense besides towns and ant. But i wonder if nowell is too hurt.

Id give wendall Moore clock over j mac and have ant or slo mo bring thr ball up while conely is resting Jmac is so bad right now

What happened to McLaughlin this year? Last year he looked like a solid backup NBA PG, and this year it looks like he should be playing in Europe.

Today's injury report

Denver Nuggets

NAMEPOSDATESTATUSCOMMENT
Collin GillespieGApr 9OutGillespie (leg) won't play Sunday against Sacramento, Harrison Wind of TheDNVR.com reports.

Minnesota Timberwolves

NAMEPOSDATESTATUSCOMMENT
Jaylen NowellSGApr 15Day-To-DayNowell is questionable for Game 1 against the Nuggets on Sunday due to left knee tendinopathy.
Rudy GobertCApr 15Day-To-DayGobert is questionable for Sunday's game against Denver due to back spasms.
Jaden McDanielsPFApr 10OutMinnesota announced Monday that McDaniels fractured his third and fourth metacarpals in his right hand, has been placed in a cast and will be out indefinitely.
Naz ReidCApr 5OutMinnesota announced Wednesday that Reid underwent successful surgery to repair a left scaphoid fracture and will be sidelined infinitely

Denver is the heavy favorite seemingly everywhere. Though there's one ESPN expert who doesn't think so. He might even believe it. ;)

i
team_vs.gif
i

Minnesota Timberwolves (8) vs Denver Nuggets (1)​

Kendra Andrews: Nuggets in 6

Jerry Bembry: Nuggets in 6

Jamal Collier: Nuggets in 4

Nick DePaula: Nuggets in 6

Nick Friedell: Nuggets in 5

Kirk Goldsberry: Nuggets in 6

Israel Gutierrez: Nuggets in 5

Tim Legler: Nuggets in 6

Zach Lowe: Nuggets in 6

Tim MacMahon: Nuggets in 6

Bobby Marks: Nuggets in 5

Dave McMenamin: Nuggets in 5

Kevin Pelton: Nuggets in 5

Jorge Sedano: Nuggets in 5

Ramona Shelburne: Nuggets in 7

André Snellings: Timberwolves in 7

Marc Spears: Nuggets in 6

Ohm Youngmisuk: Nuggets in 6

Final tally: Nuggets 17, Timberwolves 1

Did anyone watch the Grizzlies and Lakers? I hate them both, but there is just something about Memphis that I can't stand. I'm going with the Lakers.

Memphis better hope Morant is ok or this series is over.

Given that they are playing at altitude, they have a short rotation and the refs will put Towns and/or Ant in foul trouble tonight (and J-Mac has been playing poorly), I expect some Josh Minott non garbage minutes tonight.

Getting caught up with the Western Conference...looks like the Nuggets have been able to take the next step under their new GM. Who was their previous one, who clearly needed to get out of the way? 😉

Denver is the heavy favorite seemingly everywhere. Though there's one ESPN expert who doesn't think so. He might even believe it. ;)

i
team_vs.gif
i

Minnesota Timberwolves (8) vs Denver Nuggets (1)​

Kendra Andrews: Nuggets in 6

Jerry Bembry: Nuggets in 6

Jamal Collier: Nuggets in 4

Nick DePaula: Nuggets in 6

Nick Friedell: Nuggets in 5

Kirk Goldsberry: Nuggets in 6

Israel Gutierrez: Nuggets in 5

Tim Legler: Nuggets in 6

Zach Lowe: Nuggets in 6

Tim MacMahon: Nuggets in 6

Bobby Marks: Nuggets in 5

Dave McMenamin: Nuggets in 5

Kevin Pelton: Nuggets in 5

Jorge Sedano: Nuggets in 5

Ramona Shelburne: Nuggets in 7

André Snellings: Timberwolves in 7

Marc Spears: Nuggets in 6

Ohm Youngmisuk: Nuggets in 6

Final tally: Nuggets 17, Timberwolves 1

André Snellings is hoping for a big pay off on his $10 bet.

Per Shama:

The Athletics’ poll results of NBA players have Wolves’ forward Jaden McDaniels voted the fifth most underrated player in the league, with teammate and guard Anthony Edwards No. 8. McDaniels is also No. 7 as the league’s best defender.

The poll, asking players questions in various categories while providing anonymity, has Wolves center Rudy Gobert ranked as the fifth most overrated player (tied with Jarren Jackson Jr. from the Grizzlies). Former Wolves’ head coach Tom Thibodeau, now leading the Knicks, is the No. 1 coach players don’t want to play for.

Howl Wolves!!

Per Shama:

The Athletics’ poll results of NBA players have Wolves’ forward Jaden McDaniels voted the fifth most underrated player in the league, with teammate and guard Anthony Edwards No. 8. McDaniels is also No. 7 as the league’s best defender.

The poll, asking players questions in various categories while providing anonymity, has Wolves center Rudy Gobert ranked as the fifth most overrated player (tied with Jarren Jackson Jr. from the Grizzlies). Former Wolves’ head coach Tom Thibodeau, now leading the Knicks, is the No. 1 coach players don’t want to play for.

Howl Wolves!!

McDaniels did come in 5th in that poll getting 5.9% of the vote. Slightly behind Jrue Holiday who got 28.7% of the vote.

"Other" got the most votes for overrated at 31.5%. Then Trae Young at 14,8%. Jarren Jackson, Jimmy Butler and Gobert tied for that 5th place at 5.6%. Funny Shama didn't catch that.:giggle:

The Target Center by the way wasn't listed among having the worst fans or the best. Like nearly everything about that place and team, they were forgettable.

Last edited:

After watching way more of the game Sunday than was necessary, my prediction is that there is no way in the world (plus a million and a half years) that the wolves could ever possibly win tonight.

That's the beauty of sports. No logical way the wolves win tonight.

Tomorrow morning we....maybe.....celebrate.......nope....forget it.

OK, I'm in.

As Bleed always says, "Howl Wolves!!"

The slowest feet in the NBA. I think they've dunked 6 times already. We can't even hope to create an open look.

They blow by us at will. We are nailed to the floor.

We need to be swept out of the playoffs.

Clean house.

Of course, this is a 1 seed verses an 8 seed.

Go Wild!

More of a whimper than a howl, really.

Top Bottom