All Things Minnesota Timberwolves 2022-2023 In-Season Thread

Last night's game (going on what has been reported) is why McDaniels is such a highly-rated defensive player. Stops all-stars at times. That is very hard to do in this day and age in the NBA.
I think he has a little bit of space cadet in him, where his mind kind of wanders and he completely loses focus. But when he's locked in, he's damn good. His defense last night as the Clippers made the final push and the final play in Dallas where he and Ant absolutely put the clamps down on Kyrie and Luka are the highlights for me in what's been a pretty frustrating season.

I think he has a little bit of space cadet in him, where his mind kind of wanders and he completely loses focus. But when he's locked in, he's damn good. His defense last night as the Clippers made the final push and the final play in Dallas where he and Ant absolutely put the clamps down on Kyrie and Luka are the highlights for me in what's been a pretty frustrating season.
The space cadet thing is right on the money.

1-1 in the last 20. Good win and a win I did not see them getting. Went to bed they were up 6 with just under 4 to go.

Still think something weird is going on with Kitty Kat

well, in all fairness, the injury could be much worse than the public was led to believe. Which is on the team as much as KAT.

But I'm hearing/reading rumblings from some of the Twin Cities media that the team thinks KAT is ready to play and he is the one balking. apparently the team is letting him decide when he wants to come back.

well, in all fairness, the injury could be much worse than the public was led to believe. Which is on the team as much as KAT.

But I'm hearing/reading rumblings from some of the Twin Cities media that the team thinks KAT is ready to play and he is the one balking. apparently the team is letting him decide when he wants to come back.
that probably makes the most logical sense

that probably makes the most logical sense

The last(?) time Towns talked he sounded very irritated that the Wolves had initially said it was a 2nd degree sprain and would take about 4-6 weeks before he came back. Later I heard it described as a 3rd degree sprain. Didn't know how different those were until I looked them up.

Hope it doesn't end-up to be a Kawhi Leonard, Micheal Williams kind of thing. Where the player becomes so distrustful of management and their doctors that he just won't play until his doctors tell him it's okay.

That Micheal Williams thing still irritates me when I think about it.

Timberwolves (32-32) play the Lakers (30-33) tonight at 9:30 out in L.A.

i
Minnesota Timberwolves

NAME, POSSTATUSDATE
Jaylen Nowell
SG
Day-To-DayMar 2

i
Los Angeles Lakers

NAME, POSSTATUSDATE
D'Angelo Russell
PG
OutMar 1
LeBron James
SF
OutMar 2
Anthony Davis
PF
Day-To-DayMar 2
Dennis Schroder
PG
Day-To-DayMar 2

Last night the Boston Celtics, tied for the most wins in the NBA, gave-up a 28 pt lead and lost to the Nets.Meanwhile the Wolves (33-32) beat the Lakers (30-34) 110-102. In a game where the Wolves Laker Coach Ham said they "had that urgency. We didn’t.”

A rather unusual night.

Wolves go to Sacramento (37-25) for a late game tonight.

"Trailing by as much as 14 points, the Lakers often looked more outgunned than out-competed by a physical and lengthy Minnesota team playing without Karl Anthony-Towns but with three other current or former All-Stars in the lineup. That didn’t stop Coach Darvin Ham from digging into his short-handed squad, criticizing their effort in the kind of high-stakes contests they’ll be playing for the next few weeks.

“Too many times I felt like our energy was off, our effort was off in certain plays,” Ham said. “We didn’t seem to have any urgency. They’re fighting for their life as well trying to get into the postseason. And they had that urgency. We didn’t.”

While the 29-year-old Davis put up a game-high 38 points, he found few other consistent co-stars on the offensive end – no other Laker had more than Malik Beasley’s 15 points, and only Lonnie Walker IV (10 points) also finished in double figures. That was in stark contrast to Minnesota’s offensive effort, which featured five double-digit scorers led by Gobert’s 22 points and 14 rebounds.

Davis’ game was boosted in part by getting to the foul line, which he did 14 times for 12 points. At one point in the third quarter, both Gobert and Anthony Edwards had four fouls apiece. But the Lakers, who lost for only the second time in six games, were mired by spotty shooting: The team was just 24 for 64 outside of Davis."..

Last edited:

Going into the Lakers game Los Angeles had won 4 of their previous 5 games. Their only loss was to Memphis.

Tonight in Sacramento the 37-25 Kings come in on a 5 game winning streak. Oddly enough against only 3 teams. Local game time is 9:00.

2-1 in last 20. I am shocked. It does matter when you play teams. These wins are what make the losses to terrible teams worse.

I was at 5. All is not lost. Just when you think they have it figured they throw out a whopper of a clunker.

____________________________________________-
I mean are there more than 5 wins in this remaining schedule? I wish I could care more when they lose, but they have been such a dumpster fire for so long I just laugh now. The fact the wolves just think they can walk into a gym a beat a team on talent alone is hilarious. You just can’t lose a home game in February to a 17 win team and you are trying to make the playoffs.

The twolves have 20 games left. Based on the schedule, not only the teams, but away games there is a real chance they win maybe 4 more games the rest of the year.

Guess I was wrong. Mea culpa. 😇

As long as they stay healthy, which we've seen is pretty tough, they'll be okay. They're slightly above ok when they're healthy. Though with that very thin roster, when they've not healthy, they are like about 10-11 teams in the NBA. They're not good, they're not bad, they're mediocre.

Last edited:

The Wolves beat the Kings 138-134. Completing their 4 game West Coast swing and stopping the Kings 5 game winning streak.

Last edited:

Nice road sweep of the LA teams, two big wins. Rudy and Conley came to play!

Entering Week 14 of KAT’s sore calf.

Howl Wolves!!
The lack of information on the injury is super frustrating. However, I once tore my hamstring and it took me a year and a half to fully recover. I'd imagine that muscle would have to be absolutely fully recovered and fully strengthened to withstand the rigors of an NBA game.

I did not see this coming a week ago. I was fully in the "win five more games" camp. Thrilled to be dead ass wrong.

Having said that, these are our wolves. They drive us crazy. We have to just enjoy the good moments and reconcile ourselves to the bad ones. They could go 12-4 or 4-12 the rest of the way.

The last three games they have shared the ball and played great defense. That's what Finch envisioned from the jump, I'm sure.

Walker-Alexander is no longer just a throw-in. He's a real nice "3 and D" player to have down the stretch.

Short sample size but Jon Krawczynski agrees with you.

The trade was advertised as D’Angelo Russell for Mike Conley, a changing of the guard in Minnesota for a team that had its moments this season, but couldn’t seem to put everything together.

The footnote to the deal was Nickeil Alexander-Walker, a former first-round draft pick playing on his third team in four seasons and headed toward free agency this summer. But the Timberwolves never viewed him that way.

Wolves coach Chris Finch was an assistant in New Orleans when Alexander-Walker was breaking into the league. He knew that Alexander-Walker’s size at 6 foot 6, defensive prowess and energy could be an asset to a bench unit that was struggling to find consistency.

Rudy Gobert played with Alexander-Walker in Utah and knew that his intelligence and work ethic at least gave him a chance to be helpful on a team that has turned the ball over and fallen asleep on defense far too often this season. And he was coming with Conley, who served as something of a big brother to him in Utah, making Minnesota a hospitable environment for a player who had yet to find his way in the league.

Suddenly, eight games into the trade, Alexander-Walker has become so much more than just a throw-in to make the money work. He has supplanted Austin Rivers and the injured Jaylen Nowell in the Wolves second unit, and he is starting to come up big on both ends of the floor. That included scoring 16 points with five assists and no turnovers in nearly 24 minutes on Saturday night in Sacramento, where the Wolves pulled together perhaps their best win of the season.

“It’s been great to come in and they’ve been giving me confidence and boosting me up to be myself,” Alexander-Walker said in a postgame interview with WCCO radio..

Short sample size but Jon Krawczynski agrees with you.

The trade was advertised as D’Angelo Russell for Mike Conley, a changing of the guard in Minnesota for a team that had its moments this season, but couldn’t seem to put everything together.

The footnote to the deal was Nickeil Alexander-Walker, a former first-round draft pick playing on his third team in four seasons and headed toward free agency this summer. But the Timberwolves never viewed him that way.

Wolves coach Chris Finch was an assistant in New Orleans when Alexander-Walker was breaking into the league. He knew that Alexander-Walker’s size at 6 foot 6, defensive prowess and energy could be an asset to a bench unit that was struggling to find consistency.

Rudy Gobert played with Alexander-Walker in Utah and knew that his intelligence and work ethic at least gave him a chance to be helpful on a team that has turned the ball over and fallen asleep on defense far too often this season. And he was coming with Conley, who served as something of a big brother to him in Utah, making Minnesota a hospitable environment for a player who had yet to find his way in the league.

Suddenly, eight games into the trade, Alexander-Walker has become so much more than just a throw-in to make the money work. He has supplanted Austin Rivers and the injured Jaylen Nowell in the Wolves second unit, and he is starting to come up big on both ends of the floor. That included scoring 16 points with five assists and no turnovers in nearly 24 minutes on Saturday night in Sacramento, where the Wolves pulled together perhaps their best win of the season.

“It’s been great to come in and they’ve been giving me confidence and boosting me up to be myself,” Alexander-Walker said in a postgame interview with WCCO radio..

Must resign him and let Nowell walk.

I was dreaming of a Kat to Brooklyn off season, but I doubt we could pry Bridges from them after his hot start.

Top Bottom