All Things Minnesota Timberwolves 2022-2023 In-Season Thread

The part i never understand is every single pick set on mcdaniels...even if its 50 feet from the basket...he chases over the top. I'm to the point where I would like to start seeing them slide under and watch guys jack up somewhat contested 3's as opposed to him chasing over the top and us being left 5 on 4.

Damn right!

But that's their defensive scheme. They chase the ball, very, very rarely leading to a block or a turnover. Instead nearly always leading to an open shot by the unguarded opponent.

Really tired of one of the chasers run at the open shooter waving his arms rather than guarding him in the first place

The part i never understand is every single pick set on mcdaniels...even if its 50 feet from the basket...he chases over the top. I'm to the point where I would like to start seeing them slide under and watch guys jack up somewhat contested 3's as opposed to him chasing over the top and us being left 5 on 4.
correct.................at 6'9" tall, why is he so far out on the court?

The position they are playing him in needs some physicality and more versatile scoring. I'm just not a big fan. I'd love McDaniels off the bench, but apparently, he's a key piece moving forward.

Damn right!

But that's their defensive scheme. They chase the ball, very, very rarely leading to a block or a turnover. Instead nearly always leading to an open shot by the unguarded opponent.

Really tired of one of the chasers run at the open shooter waving his arms rather than guarding him in the first place
We then have to collapse, and then we are in scramble mode.

they keep starting him on certain guys lately, and he can't stay with them. Then they switch to someone else.

The put him on a smaller guy, he guards them way out, and they go by him often.

Also, his offensive game is limited, and we can't rebound. He is a very weak rebounder. He's toothpick thin.

In the 4th quarter, when the games are tight and things go up a notch, he's basically worthless.

He's not a guy that takes you anywhere. He's just another guy.
Just telling ya what the metrics say. He is the 2nd best defender on the team according to them. I agree with it as 8/10 guys on the Wolves suck balls at defense.

The Bucks were sold for $3.5 billion.

The Wolves are definitely worth more than the $1.5 billion A-Rod and Lore agreed to pay.

That's good news for Taylor when he goes out to try and sell the team again.
Is the Lore/A-Rod deal officially dead?

Golden State went to a box and one on Ant, which you rarely see in the NBA. Translation, we suck most other spots offensively.

Naz Reid can't defend.

McDaniels is so overrated I could cry. Guards blow by him as he is guarding them 35 feet out. He has a limited offensive game and is not the least bit physical. I don't understand the McDaniels fascination.

I guess you build around Ant, but I think he's a guy who will put up numbers, but his basketball IQ is off the charts bad. Maybe that improves with age.

If we are building with McDaniels and Reid as the core, stick a fork in them now.

KAT can't defend either. That's why they had to get someone like Gobert in the first place, and he'll be around 2 more years.

The good NBA teams today are filled with 2 stars and solid to high end role players. Ant, McDaniels, and Reid have improved significantly since entering the league. They are still only 21, 22, and 23 years old. Ant can be a star, and the the other two can be solid starters/role players on a good team.

They'll need to find another star, but I don't think that person is KAT. We know who he is, and it's not a star on a winning team. And his contract is an albatross.

Who do you even like on the roster? It's seemingly no one.

KAT can't defend either. That's why they had to get someone like Gobert in the first place, and he'll be around 2 more years.

The good NBA teams today are filled with 2 stars and solid to high end role players. Ant, McDaniels, and Reid have improved significantly since entering the league. They are still only 21, 22, and 23 years old. Ant can be a star, and the the other two can be solid starters/role players on a good team.

They'll need to find another star, but I don't think that person is KAT. We know who he is, and it's not a star on a winning team. And his contract is an albatross.

Who do you even like on the roster? It's seemingly no one.
You would seriously go with Reid as your starting big man?

The warriors aren't going box and one with KAT in the lineup. Reid got his big numbers last night, because they didn't guard him and he was going against a small, midget lineup. In the fourth quarter last night, Reid kept throwing it up there and it wasn't going in.

And as for who I really like on the Wolves, you are correct, not many of them. We have bench players starting right now.Gobert I like, but the players around him don't match. I want to like Ant, but he's so wild and plays so stupid. You do have a point.

I'm down on the franchise. I literally thought top 4 in the west. Jokes on me. Oh, and I'm a huge gopher hoops fan, also. They were going to take major steps this year, also. Jokes on me.

Last edited:

Might be a long season, but there are only 19 games left. Let’s start putting the execution over the vibes of the team and start winning again.

You would seriously go with Reid as your starting big man?

The warriors aren't going box and one with KAT in the lineup. Reid got his big numbers last night, because they didn't guard him and he was going against a small, midget lineup. In the fourth quarter last night, Reid kept throwing it up there and it wasn't going in.

And as for who I really like on the Wolves, you are correct, not many of them. We have bench players starting right now.Gobert I like, but the players around him don't match. I want to like Ant, but he's so wild and plays so stupid. You do have a point.

I'm down on the franchise. I literally thought top 4 in the west. Jokes on me. Oh, and I'm a huge gopher hoops fan, also. They were going to take major steps this year, also. Jokes on me.

I'm a proponent of small ball, it has been winning in both the NBA and college for years now. GS has been winning with a small, midget lineup for years. So why do we need so many big men? When Reid gets his minutes, he usually puts up pretty good numbers.

I think coaching has been an issue all year. I have a feeling there may be a change there this offseason. If this team can trade KAT and find a good, 2 way PG, I think the future becomes bright again in a hurry. Conley would have been a perfect fit 5 years ago.

The Charlotte Hornets won their 5th straight game last night. They beat Atlanta, San Antonio, Minnesota, Miami and last night Detroit, in that streak.

Why mention it?

Because LaMelo Ball fractured his ankle and will be out the rest of the season. It was his other ankle that has limited him to 36 games this year.

And despite what ABC/ESPN tell us, LeBron James isn't the only guy who gets hurt.

The Charlotte Hornets won their 5th straight game last night. They beat Atlanta, San Antonio, Minnesota, Miami and last night Detroit, in that streak.

Why mention it?

Because LaMelo Ball fractured his ankle and will be out the rest of the season. It was his other ankle that has limited him to 36 games this year.

And despite what ABC/ESPN tell us, LeBron James isn't the only guy who gets hurt.
LeBron being hurt is good for wolves, at least.

LeBron being hurt is good for wolves, at least.

Yep. As would have Ball's injury if it happened last Monday. Before he got 32-10-8 against the Wolves last Friday.

Took awhile to get it, but the old line that "isn't who you play as much as when when you play them" is the key to understanding sports.

if KAT cannot come back and play some in the regular season and playoffs, what does that do to his possible trade value?

If he wants out, he should want to get back on the court.

of course, that assumes that he actually wants to play or cares about playing.

if KAT cannot come back and play some in the regular season and playoffs, what does that do to his possible trade value?

Maybe when ANT was talking at the all star game about people needing to play he was talking about KAT? Everyone just assumed it was players in general, but maybe ANT wants the other potential “super star” to play again.

What if they won't let him play?

Last edited:

Wolves got Gobert and Prince back and played the first of 2 games in 4 days in L.A. last night. They beat the Clippers 108-101. A Clippers team that had George, Leonard and Westbrook on the court.

The Wolves defense looked strong. Don't remember too many instances of players chasing the shooter. They had 6 guys in double-figures and shot well from the field. They were terrible from the Free Throw line, had too many turnovers, Edwards had a bad night shooting and they still won.

They play the Lakers Friday.

Last edited:

There aren't a lot of things about this team that are "championship level", but late-game defense from Ant and McDaniels is close, if not there already. McDaniels glued to Paul George and absolutely denying him any chance to get the ball late in the game last night put the stamp on a nice win.

The Lakers without LeBron Friday night should be an easy....

Oh, never mind.

McDaniels is so overrated I could cry. Guards blow by him as he is guarding them 35 feet out. He has a limited offensive game and is not the least bit physical. I don't understand the McDaniels fascination.
Last night's game (going on what has been reported) is why McDaniels is such a highly-rated defensive player. Stops all-stars at times. That is very hard to do in this day and age in the NBA.

Top Bottom