All Things Minnesota Timberwolves 2022-2023 In-Season Thread

there is a story floating around - might have come from Johnny K at the Athletic - that DLo and Gobert did not get along. According to what I've read, DLo allegedly complained about Gobert and bad-mouthed him to other players.

So what happens, the Wolves move DLo and bring in a guard who played with Gobert before and has a good relationship with Gobert.

hmmmmm.......

Last edited:

There are only 24 games left in the season including tonight. I have my doubts he is ever in a Timberwolves jersey.
FWIW, he's in Memphis and was working out with the team when Finch informed everyone that Edwards had been named to the All Star team. He was the first guy to give Ant a big bear hug. I bet he plays at least the final month of the season.

there is a story floating around - might have come from Johnny K at the Athletic - that DLo and Gobert did not get along. According to what I've read, DLo allegedly complained about Gobert and bad-mouthed him to other players.

So what happens, the Wolves move DLo and bring in a guard who played with Gobert before and has a good relationship with Gobert.

hmmmmm.......
there is also a rumor that KAT and DLO's relationship soured a long time ago, and KAT was fine with him being traded.

FWIW, he's in Memphis and was working out with the team when Finch informed everyone that Edwards had been named to the All Star team. He was the first guy to give Ant a big bear hug. I bet he plays at least the final month of the season.

329774660_586109720028814_2675133145761489183_n.jpg

New point guard Conley started after 1-2 practices at most. Gobert & Anderson, their best ball handler and defender, played but were questionable until less than an hour before tip-off. Neither should have played and Anderson didn't play much. Until they started emptying the bench, Memphis was shooting 62% to Minnesota's 43%.

All added up to a tough to watch, but expected 128-107 Grizzlies (43-21) victory over the Wolves (30-29).

"It was more a feel-out game than anything," Conley said. "As a point guard going to a new team, kind of have a lot to grasp, especially guys' games and how they like to play. I got a little glimpse of that. I told the guys we're just going to keep getting better. First night out for me and all of us together trying to figure it out."

The Wolves' issues Friday extended beyond Conley's lack of knowledge with what the Wolves were running.

The Wolves lamented the officiating, specifically that newly minted All-Star Anthony Edwards didn't get an All-Star whistle and shoot a single free throw despite attacking the rim consistently. He finished with 17 points on 8-for-19 shooting. That's not why they ultimately lost, however."..

"It was more a feel-out game than anything," Conley said. "As a point guard going to a new team, kind of have a lot to grasp, especially guys' games and how they like to play. I got a little glimpse of that. I told the guys we're just going to keep getting better. First night out for me and all of us together trying to figure it out."

This was the necessary, if awkward, first step in this new version of the Wolves coming together with the 35-year-old Conley, who the team is asking to facilitate the offense in a different way than D'Angelo Russell and lead some of the younger players on the team."

I didn't catch the game last night. How bad was it and how did Conley look?

I didn't catch the game last night. How bad was it and how did Conley look?

It was very bad. Conley didn't look good either. Though chalking it up to not knowing the Offense or most of his teammates and the decision of Memphis to push everybody around and let the refs decide whether to make the call or not. Most of the time they didn't.

He'll have a few practices under his belt before they play at Dallas Monday night.

It was very bad. Conley didn't look good either. Though chalking it up to not knowing the Offense or most of his teammates and the decision of Memphis to push everybody around and let the refs decide whether to make the call or not. Most of the time they didn't.

He'll have a few practices under his belt before they play at Dallas Monday night.
New NBA you cant do this without a long suspension, so its off the table.

But my instinct is to destroy a memphis player, and tell the ref, you better start calling it fair or there is going to be a lot more hard fouls

Tonight the new Wolves (30-29) are down in Dallas (31-27) to take on the new Mavericks. At least Conley has some practices in this time. Hope Anderson and Gobert can stay healthy for it.

Minnesota Timberwolves

NAME, POSSTATUSDATE
Rudy Gobert
C
Day-To-DayFeb 12
Kyle Anderson
SF
Day-To-DayFeb 12

i
Dallas Mavericks

NAME, POSSTATUSDATE
Tim Hardaway Jr.
SF
Day-To-DayFeb 12
Maxi Kleber
PF
OutFeb 12

My favorite quote was from Anthony Edwards after the game. Said they could have fouled but he said they decided to defend them instead. When Katie Storm asked what the difference was tonight he said "Practice. We had two good ones before the game."

Wolves win 124-121.

The Wolves (31-29) host Washington (26-29) Thursday night before they get an 8 day All Star break.

Last edited:

Watching Conley and Rudy play together you can see how it is supposed to work. That provides some hope for the rest of what is going to be a brutal schedule. It also bodes well for KAT's return. DLo was never going to defer to Ant, KAT and Rudy. Unfortunately, the wolves almost have to trade Conley and his expiring contract in the off season in an effort to bring in a long term solution at pg.

A few games ago Finch lamented post game after a loss that he didn't pull Rudy when the other team went "five out" late in the fourth. Last night he did it. Hard to know if it was the right strategy because Kyrie went off but I think it sent the right message to Rudy and the team.

Best wolves game of the season.

Kyrie will drag the Mavs down to the play in.

Watching Conley and Rudy play together you can see how it is supposed to work. That provides some hope for the rest of what is going to be a brutal schedule. It also bodes well for KAT's return. DLo was never going to defer to Ant, KAT and Rudy. Unfortunately, the wolves almost have to trade Conley and his expiring contract in the off season in an effort to bring in a long term solution at pg.

A few games ago Finch lamented post game after a loss that he didn't pull Rudy when the other team went "five out" late in the fourth. Last night he did it. Hard to know if it was the right strategy because Kyrie went off but I think it sent the right message to Rudy and the team.

Best wolves game of the season.

Kyrie will drag the Mavs down to the play in.
Kyrie looked pretty good last night

The Athletic: Anthony Edwards, Jaden McDaniels are Timberwolves’ future and present

Wolves coach Chris Finch has long been big on empowering his players, so he asked them in the huddle what they wanted to do. When Edwards said he wanted to D-up, Finch did not argue. There was more than just swagger behind the decision. With so much time left on the clock, fouling would have turned the game into a free-throw shooting contest. The Wolves had already missed seven free throws in the game, including one from the normally-clutch Conley that kept it a one-score game.

Finch also has seen his team give up offensive rebounds off missed free throws all season long, so envisioning a scenario in which the Mavericks made the first free throw to cut the deficit to two points, rebound the miss and score again was not out of the question.

“Let’s just try to win the game,” Finch said.

He put faith in his young guns because they have earned it. McDaniels has emerged as one of the better perimeter defenders in the NBA this season, a long-armed and quick-footed hunter who routinely makes life difficult for the league’s most potent scorers. And Edwards, while not as consistent as McDaniels, has proven to be able to lock in on the ball when it matters most.

“This is what me and Jaden are out here for,” Edwards said. “Put us on the best two players and see what we do.”

The Timberwolves have come under fire this season for how much they gave up to land Gobert, especially the four first-round picks and a pick swap that went to the Jazz. Surrendering all that draft capital will make it more difficult for them to add to their core, either with young and affordable contracts in the draft or by trading picks for quality veterans.

One thing that did turn out right for president of basketball operations Tim Connelly was that he refused the Jazz’s request for McDaniels to be included in the trade. The Timberwolves believed that with McDaniels and Edwards already on the roster the need for young talent over the next few years is not as acute. Both of them have taken big strides forward in their third season in the league, and not just on defense.

Howl Wolves!!

saw this note in the Strib - FWIW....

The Wolves sent out their season-ticket renewal orders Monday, with COO Ryan Tanke saying the Wolves were raising the prices of tickets for the first time in five seasons. The average increase is 8%, Tanke said. Tanke noted that 82% of seats would increase by $5 or less.

The Wolves are extending for another season the 50% discount for retail and concessions in the arena for those that renew their season tickets while those who purchase them for the first time will receive a 25% discount. Tanke said the Wolves have had 14 sellouts this season through 32 games, with six of the last seven sold out.

The Wolves are averaging 16,492 fans per game this season. That's 27th in the league, ahead of the Rockets, Pacers and Thunder. Their average attendance is up slightly from 16,028, which ranked 21st in the league last season.

saw this note in the Strib - FWIW....

The Wolves sent out their season-ticket renewal orders Monday, with COO Ryan Tanke saying the Wolves were raising the prices of tickets for the first time in five seasons. The average increase is 8%, Tanke said. Tanke noted that 82% of seats would increase by $5 or less.

The Wolves are extending for another season the 50% discount for retail and concessions in the arena for those that renew their season tickets while those who purchase them for the first time will receive a 25% discount. Tanke said the Wolves have had 14 sellouts this season through 32 games, with six of the last seven sold out.

The Wolves are averaging 16,492 fans per game this season. That's 27th in the league, ahead of the Rockets, Pacers and Thunder. Their average attendance is up slightly from 16,028, which ranked 21st in the league last season.
Not the best strategy for being 27th in the league.
I miss the days of $3 or $4 dollars a seat for season tickets. That of course was when they were around 27th in the league in wins...

ANT is so fun to watch, and he is so happy on the court.

Even after the game he spent time with a young fan for an autograph and photos. I do not recall any other Wolves, doing this at an away game.

The Wizards game tomorrow night is one of the few "easy" games left on the schedule. However, we've seen the wolves lose games they are supposed to win an obnoxious number of times. I hope the game tomorrow night plays out the way it's supposed to, the team gets some rest over break and Ant doesn't party too hard during all star weekend.

The Wizards game tomorrow night is one of the few "easy" games left on the schedule. However, we've seen the wolves lose games they are supposed to win an obnoxious number of times. I hope the game tomorrow night plays out the way it's supposed to, the team gets some rest over break and Ant doesn't party too hard during all star weekend.

Yes, the Wolves should win. Conley knows how and where to get the ball to Gobert. Best news is that aside from Towns, the roster is now healthy. Yes, they've played around, tried to make that Sportcenter pass and shot terribly against lesser teams. Though some of those early losses were against teams that were playing way better than the experts forecast. Thinking that a healthy roster and swapping Russell for Conley will solve most of those problems.

Thing is those lesser teams have looked at the Wolves and always seen a chance to beat them. Wolves got their best effort.

That's what the Wizards are thinking the same thing. Here's a game they can win. They have won only 4 less games than Minnesota, they are healthy, they have Bradley Beal back, and they are coming off of a 25 win against the Trail Blazers in Portland.

The Wolves should win. Expecting an easy win? Maybe not.

I'm going. That means we will most likely lose. We almost always do when I'm supposed to see an easy victory.

Top Bottom